Author Topic: Floppy Drives  (Read 151 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Floppy Drives
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:30:11 PM »
Yup, nothing like having mid-1980's technology still in need today.  I've set up RAID plenty of times before, but I'm just hear to rant.  Whoever at Microsoft decided that it would be best to use a Floppy drive to load RAID drivers should be sent on death row.  I hear with Vista you can do it with a CD, but in XP you have to dig out that floppy drive.

I'm currenty setting up a new PC for my brother-in-law and I've once again run the course of file copying errors with the RAID drivers.  My experience over 10 years of building computers is that floppy drives are the most unreliable piece of equipment ever put into a computer case.

Dust builds up in them, etc....and they fail over time.  I've learned to 'scavenge' floppy drives from old computers merely because when I need one, I don't want to go out and buy one.

So hear I am digging through my computer graveyard finding a workable floppy drive.  Or at least finding a good floppy disk.

:furious
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either