Author Topic: The good Dr.H  (Read 344 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
The good Dr.H
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
So any other fans for the great Hunter S. Thompson here.  If so whats your favorite book of his, mine would be "The Rum Diary".
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The good Dr.H
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »
I was sort of a closet fan of his in my younger years...then he blew his brains out. Selfish bastard to do such a thing. I'm sure his family appreciated it. :mad:

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
The good Dr.H
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:27:54 AM »
Hehe. If it hadn`t been for Sonny taking pity on him he would have been gone long before that. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
The good Dr.H
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 03:50:43 AM »
<------um.

i'd have to say that my favorite is proud highway: saga of a desperate southern gentleman.  

for those of you unfamiliar with the book it is a veritable tome of his correspondence both too and from others from 55 - 67.

brilliant.  hillarious.  revealing.

i know it's not fiction...but it may as well be.

:aok
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
The good Dr.H
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 06:05:16 AM »
Serious question.

Hunter never has appealed to me before.  Why is it worth reading?

Intrigue me.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
The good Dr.H
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:02:39 PM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
Serious question.

Hunter never has appealed to me before.  Why is it worth reading?

Intrigue me.
He's just a very interesting writer to read, he has a way of telling a story that will intrigue you.  All his books, or atleast all the ones I've read are non-fiction, there about his life and he's lead a very interesting life.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
The good Dr.H
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
Originally posted by JB88
i'd have to say that my favorite is proud highway: saga of a desperate southern gentleman.  

for those of you unfamiliar with the book it is a veritable tome of his correspondence both too and from others from 55 - 67.

brilliant.  hillarious.  revealing.
Yeah I've read "Fear and Loathing in America : The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist"

It's basically the same thing, correspondence between him and other people, long read but good.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
The good Dr.H
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
He had a weekly column called "Hey, Rube" for ESPN.com's "Page 2". The column ran from 2000 to shortly before his death in 2005.

THIS  page has some of his stuff you can read.

When he died I went back and re-read every article.

The incredible dumbness of Sportswriters is a subject I thought I'd exhausted a long time ago -- but let's hit it one more time, just for the fun of it. ... I have described them as "a rude & brainless subculture of fascist drunks" and "more disgusting by nature than maggots oozing out of the carcass of a dead animal. ..."

good stuff
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit