Author Topic: This should NEVER happen in Highschool sports!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
This should NEVER happen in Highschool sports!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 11:23:03 PM »
Those coaches didn't care about anyone regardless of what they did or said. I did have coaches in high school and college who would jump my butt for making a mistake but never would they have acted like a classless fool.

As for the player...I don't know why anyone would have offered him a chance to play D1. From what I remember seeing and saw just then he wasn't that good; might have been fast but wasn't enough of a horse to play D1 defense or offense in the SEC, Big 12 or ACC on the line in any capacity.

The comments about removing sports from schools and team sports being for cowards....stupid comments by people who...never mind it isn't worth my time in typing here tonight.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »
Originally posted by Reschke
As for the player...I don't know why anyone would have offered him a chance to play D1. From what I remember seeing and saw just then he wasn't that good; might have been fast but wasn't enough of a horse to play D1 defense or offense in the SEC, Big 12 or ACC on the line in any capacity.

Exactly what I saw.  A lot of hype not backed up by the talent.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
What I learned in the classroom got me into college.  What I learned on the football field is the primary force that developed me into the man I am today.  Never, have I learned so much about commitment, dedication, working towards goals, and interacting with a diverse group of people.  The latter may me the most important.  Theres were a ton of guys on the field who'm unde different circumstances would have never gotten along, and to learn to not only get along with, but achieve a common goal with someone who you thought would be your opposite, is just awesome.

In regards to that video, that coach was completely wrong.  Motivation should be positive, ultimately outlining reward or achievement (see...I know the FOI would be worth a damn some day hehe).  Motivations should never be because of thread of bodily harm.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Football ain't for sissies. Still, those coaches were a bit over the top.

agreed.

To a very small extent I see where the coaches are coming from.
they have to deal with the culture of where those kids are coming from.
As a motivational tool. that method. While yes to us (myself included) seems over the top. It may be the only thing those kids understand.

Hang around any inner city group of kids and you wont see many "please sir may I's"

In a lot of areas its like a  completely different country culture wise. Barbaric in nature by our common standards.

That being said.
Many if not most HS coaches only care about 1 thing. Winning and having those on the field that they think will help accomplish that regardless of the kid.

In a slightly different example on how badly coaches want to win I can point to my nephew.
Most naturally gifted athlete I've ever seen in my life.
I watermelon you not. at 3 years old he was tossing a ball up in the air and hitting it with a bat like he'd been doing it for 10 years
Literally ANY sport he  participated in he became a star in.

baseball. wrestling,Basketball. Football. you name it. if he played it he was great at it.
His loves are baseball and football.
Only thing is he developed Scoliousus of the spine. Was often in severe pain but his love of playing kept him playing anyway
After becoming a starting quarterback and  defective back on his HS team as well as infielder on the baseball team in his freshman and sophomore years.
Under a doctors advise he took his junior year off in football.
Which pissed his coach off to no end. and he actually verbally let it be known to my nephew how unhappy he was with his decision.
His coach. who also happened to be his baseball coach. practically sat him out the entire baseball season.
One of the star starters. became for all intents and purposes a star bench warmer.

His senior year he decided he missed football too much and decided to play anyway he didn't get into a game until halfway into the season. Where he again excelled  and by the end of the season was again a starter on both sides of the ball. And still managefd to play on one of the "All State" games.But the damage had been done as it effectively ruined his chances at several college scholarships.

Now this isn't just a gifted athelete. But a damn good kid.

He's in College now as a freshman. And still playing football.
But his HS coach cost him and his family added money he might have been awarded had he not benched him.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
I can't beleive that anyone would ever want to be rid of school sports. Sports bring about school pride, a sense of community, and devlope friendly (most of the time anyways) competition amongst students. They teach Kids how to motivate themselves. Good coaches (unlike the clowns in that video) teach discipline and sportsmanship.

I had the privledge of playing for one of the greatest coaches of all time in ANY sport, Bill Belisle. On the Ice he would scream and yell his head off, yet never once did he ever strike or intimidate a player (with the exception of the smack on the butt from his stick as a sign of his approval of your effort).

That is how coaches are supposed to behave (some may not need to yell to motivate players). It works better than what those fools (in the video) are doing, After all Bill lead Mount Saint Charles to 26 consecutive state championships, and produced 20 professional hockey players. Those players, I know some of them personally, are not the stereotypical spoiled brats. They are great men and I think this has alot to do with their experiences in sports.

Yes there are bad coaches out there, but I feel that most coaches genuinly care about their players and do the best they can to help them develope into, not only better athletes, but better people as well.

I also beleive that sports can bring a temendous amount of pride to a community, maybe a community as large as a state. MSC's 26 championships and all those pro players are a tremendous source of pride for the state of RHode Island, and the city of Woonsocket, as well as the school itself. To give you an idea of how proud that community is of it's high school sport's I'm attaching a link to the trailer for the  MSC movie, Ice Kings.

I hope you can see the amount of pride people have in this, and also get an idea of how important the experience was to former players, such as Ed Lee, who is interviewd briefly in the trailer. Also pay attention to Coach Bill ( the man singing in the intro), and try to see that he may yell and scream on the ice, but he really cares about his players, as I feel most coaches do.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QyhRomSbtRE

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
It wasn't sports that made the kid throw a keg, perhaps banning fraternities and sororities who have parties like that might be more benificial.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »
Maybe some of our Euro friends can chime in, but I was under the impression that in Euroland youth sports were not affiliated with school:  Futbol was played kind of like little league baseball:  Kids would join their favorite sports club and schools taught academics.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
It's their culture. Based on violence beginning at the parental stage.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:00:05 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »
I did not see any white kids on that team.  I am offended.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
Originally posted by Tango
Think about it. Why are we sending kids to school? To learn and prepare them for the jobs they will need when they become adults. Sports doesn't do that. Too many athletes think they will be able to make it into pro sports when VERY few do. They should have that last period of school being educated instead of running around on the ball field.

Watch that video and tell me that guy is putting much effort into his education. He is banking everything on his abilities as a footbal player and those coaches are more to blame for that more than anything else. A VERY good reason why coaches should NEVER be placed in administration positions as well.

What's funny is, The best paying job for an athlete out of college(after being prepared for it by years' of sports in grade school and high school) is usually a multi-million dollar pro contract. Under your reasoning, we couldn't possibly remove sports in school, or even do anything less than increase their funding!

I would remind you, that not everyone who gets' a degree gets' a job. Just the same as pro sports, maybe without the same amount's of failure. But I know many people with degrees' that had to retrain.

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
Those coaches need to be canned and their teaching certificates axed.  You never threaten a player and you NEVER lay a finger on one in anger, much less tackle a player.  There are ways to make your point without going that route.  High school coaches are there to teach much more than just how to tackle correctly or how to line up on defense.  They have a large presence in these students’ lives at an age when they are very impressionable and whether they want to be or not, are role models for their players.  A good coach can help prepare a kid for the real world by teaching responsibility, work ethic, the benefits of positive competition, prioritization, etc.  The hope is that when they graduate they will take the lessons learned and apply them.

My great grandfather coached high school football for many years.  When he died from natural causes at a ripe old age some of his former players came to the funeral.  He had not spoken to them in many years and there were no invitations but he had made such a positive impression upon those kids in high school that they never forgot him.
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 04:04:01 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
What I learned in the classroom got me into college.  What I learned on the football field is the primary force that developed me into the man I am today.  Never, have I learned so much about commitment, dedication, working towards goals, and interacting with a diverse group of people.  The latter may me the most important.  Theres were a ton of guys on the field who'm unde different circumstances would have never gotten along, and to learn to not only get along with, but achieve a common goal with someone who you thought would be your opposite, is just awesome.

Can't argue this. In fact, I think sports programs of the past served this purpose quite well.

But today... it seems that some high school sports programs seem to be caught up in the NCAA machine of building professional athletes and/or generating revenue.

I think they've lost sight of what's important about team sports.
sand

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Maybe some of our Euro friends can chime in, but I was under the impression that in Euroland youth sports were not affiliated with school:  Futbol was played kind of like little league baseball:  Kids would join their favorite sports club and schools taught academics.

I can't speak for other countries than mine ,there is sport at school but to learn not for competition it's a lot more relaxed than sport in US school.

And this coach is a beast.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 04:41:10 PM »
Im surprised the coach allowed the film and didnt dictate a cleaned up act by the whole team during the film. How coaches coach when its only them and the team will always be different than when visitors are watching. Not sure why this coach thought he was immune if the film went public.

Some number of the players remineded me of the black testostrone monsters at Santa Rita correctional facility near Livermore CA. Especialy the star of the film. They were in the facility because of high testosterone levels and underdeveloped impulse control issues. Assault, manslaughter, theft, robbery. None of them needed steroids to get big pumping iron. They had enough testosterone to supply a small army. Thats how the term "yard @pe" originated. Some correctional facilities don't allow weight lifiting anymore because of how BIG and dangerous they become.

I noticed in the comments on the web page that the star was unable to hang on to his impulse trigger and had a testostrone melt down at a frat party. Like I pointed out, thats how a bunch of the members of Sant Rita's finest became long term occupants.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Maybe some of our Euro friends can chime in, but I was under the impression that in Euroland youth sports were not affiliated with school...
in the UK it used to be compulsory for all school kids to do sport for at least one afternoon a week, not sure if thats the case anymore but I believe that will happen again soon as we have a developing problem with diabetes and childhood obesity (sound familiar?)

Schools have their own teams and compete in various leagues and competitions, talented kids will generally join a local club as well to progress to County and National level. My school wasn't a sports school at all, but we still had several competitive teams for each school year in all the main sports. eg. 4 cricket teams from about 120 6th formers.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli