Author Topic: New Guns Shown this Weekend at ShotShow 2008! - PICS  (Read 732 times)

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
New Guns Shown this Weekend at ShotShow 2008! - PICS
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 08:58:50 AM »
Ruger made a knockoff of the kel-tec p3at, and the SW mp looks a lot like a taurus millenium pro with a glock trigger. I'd be willing to bet that the Ruger and the SW will cost twice as much.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »
I would use any of those guns in a pinch.. I do like the trend in semi autos these days to make em more like double action revolvers with more capacity and only a little less reliable.

Never really understood a safety that was not automatic and seamless like a grip safety or a transfer bar or simply double action or inertia firing pin or combos of all of the above.

lazs

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 09:37:34 AM »
Well the taurus mil-pro has a thumb safety, but that's because it is SA/DA without a deckocker. I have a mil-pro in .40 SW and it has proven to be the most reliable semiauto pistol that I've ever owned, even more than my sig. I've put about 2000 rounds through it now, usually 150-250 at a time, and it has never had any kind of malfunction. A few times (about five) I've had to pull the trigger twice on stubborn primers. My little sig p239 .40sw/357 sig is prettier, far more accurate, but it's also bigger and heavier than the taurus, lower capacity, but most importantly it's not as reliable. So if I had to carry one I would almost reluctantly opt for the ugly polymer brazilian piece.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
and furball.. we have the internet now.. we know what you "real men" do with those cricket paddles!

disgusting.

lazs

Don't pretend that you didn't know before, did you not receive the DVD you asked me to send to you?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
LOL.. furbie

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
I never understood the idea of carry with a hammer back and the safety on.   I have seen so many guys get out their guns and find the safety is no longer on.

I just leave single action semi autos  with a round in the chamber and the hammer at the first notch.. I thumb back the hammer as I draw it...

For double action.. just leave the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

I grew up with single action revolvers tho...  I never felt unarmed or even slow with a single action revolver.

lazs

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 08:50:07 PM »
Originally posted by Suave
Well the taurus mil-pro has a thumb safety, but that's because it is SA/DA without a deckocker. I have a mil-pro in .40 SW and it has proven to be the most reliable semiauto pistol that I've ever owned, even more than my sig. I've put about 2000 rounds through it now, usually 150-250 at a time, and it has never had any kind of malfunction. A few times (about five) I've had to pull the trigger twice on stubborn primers. My little sig p239 .40sw/357 sig is prettier, far more accurate, but it's also bigger and heavier than the taurus, lower capacity, but most importantly it's not as reliable. So if I had to carry one I would almost reluctantly opt for the ugly polymer brazilian piece.

I also used to have a Taurus Millenium Pro in .40 S&W.   Like yours, it was absolutely reliable in functioning.

However, the gun's accuracy was absolutely horrific.  I am a fairly good pistol shot, and I could only spray bullets all over the target with it, even at only 15 yards.   I could not shoot any sort of decent groups.  

Now in a gun fight, I suppose I would not have had any problem in hitting a person at that range.  But I demand much more accuracy out of a pistol than that.   I want to have confidence that I can place my shots if I need to.

One of my buddies used to always carry a full size P220 concealed ( he has since past away ), which is what got me into the SIG .45's myself.   But I am not as big a man as he was, so concealing a .45 is not as easy for me.

So alas, SIG 220 is no longer carrying a SIG anymore.  I did not care for the SIG 239, so I replaced my SIG 245 with the Smith and Wesson instead.   I still plan to keep both of my SIG .45's, though, as they are both awesome guns, and very accurate.

My SIG 239, however, is now up for sale.   I really don't need it anymore, since I got the S&W M&P 40c.

If you buy enough guns, you will eventually find one that suits your needs best.   It just gets a bit expensive, though, as you take a loss whenever you sell a gun used not long after buying it.

SIG 220

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
Originally posted by Suave
Ruger made a knockoff of the kel-tec p3at, and the SW mp looks a lot like a taurus millenium pro with a glock trigger. I'd be willing to bet that the Ruger and the SW will cost twice as much.

The Taurus Millennium Pro cannot begin to compare in quality with either a S&W M&P or a Glock.  S&W makes their cheaper SIGMA series pistols to compete against the Taurus models.   And the S&W M&P clearly has the advantage over the older Glock pistols now, mainly due to better ergonomics, in my opinion.

I paid only $469 US for my S&W M&P 40c, and $349 US for my Taurus Millennium Pro.  At least here in the USA, the S&W M&P is selling for about the same price as a Glock.   Anyway, in my opinion, the S&W is well worth the extra money.   It certainly is much more value for the money than when one buys a SIG.

And unlike the Taurus, I will be able to add both a Crimson Trace Laser Sight to the gun shortly, as well as a DPM Systems Recoil Reduction Guide and Spring replacement.    Both of these products will be supporting the M&P compacts this quarter of this year.  

I've got them both installed on my Glock 17 now, and it has consequently become one real kick bellybutton shooting machine with these additions.   The recoil reduction is incredible, and the laser sight comes on the moment you grip the gun, and is incredibly bright.   I can show shoot with far greater speed and accuracy using this laser sight.  And the Crimson Trace really enhances the Glock's grip, too.

Plus I have a 19 round magazine in my Glock, loaded up with Winchester's Ranger 127 gr +P+ ammo.  

It is way too big to carry, but for home protection, it could deal with an entire gang breaking in!

Alas, now the secret is out.  SIG 220 is actually now relying on a variety of other handguns besides his beloved SIGs.   :huh :huh

I guess I need to change my name.   The problem is, though, I love so many different guns.  I appear to be a Gun Gigolo!!  :O :O

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:27 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I never understood the idea of carry with a hammer back and the safety on.   I have seen so many guys get out their guns and find the safety is no longer on.

I just leave single action semi autos  with a round in the chamber and the hammer at the first notch.. I thumb back the hammer as I draw it...

For double action.. just leave the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

I grew up with single action revolvers tho...  I never felt unarmed or even slow with a single action revolver.

lazs
Doesn't have a hammer.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »
suave.. was talking about single action semi's like 1911 types.

I said that I agree with the new double action semis not needing a lever safety.

lazs