Author Topic: La5 and LA7  (Read 8609 times)

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »
This argument is pointless.  It is obvious that we are NOT having any fun here, no matter what or how you fly.  You are not enjoying it....we should all just quit. :p

BTW...like the new skins, excellent work fellers.

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:19 AM »
I suspect if AH perks the 3 gun package, even lightly, you wont often find the 3 gun package in the air. Whos really going to risk 14 perks for such a trivial thing? I know I wont. If anything the 7 will only become faster and thats what sets most sticks on a path of hating them. Not their little peashooter sprayers.

Actually over time Im seeing less and less LA-7s. You might see one or two in a furball, like over Tanktown yesterday. Its not like the sky is red with them. I think most people complain about them the same way they complain about George Bush. They dont know why they are complaining but since everyone else is they will too.

I sure hope AH doesnt succumb to all this whining and leaves this great little plane alone. Go into the TA and try turning it at the speeds and radius's of the Spits, zeros, and a lot of others. You'll figure out how to beat it. The 190s are just as fast, have longer ranges, are better gunned, and can drop ords. What are we going to perk those to?

How often do you see 190s coming in at 20,000' and do 500 mph loop-d-loops until they run? Oh yeah right! But thats skill while flying a LA-7 isn't?:lol I guess the Laws of physics change when your in a LA-7.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
Rich, you're new, but for a long time the la7 had the most kills every tour. Before the arena split, the La7 was the most common plane I'd see. Now you might see more spit16s or f4us, because the former didn't exist and the latter was uber-fied since the LA7 was king.

It's still just as capable as ever, but folks have other uber rides to HO in now, so it's less common.

The collective memory of all the dweebery of the la7 is still fresh in our minds, though.

I, personally, don't see as man of them overall. However I was HOed to death by 5+ upping LAs at a capped field just this week, so it does happen! (just not every time, like it used to be)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Rich, you're new, but for a long time the la7 had the most kills every tour. Before the arena split, the La7 was the most common plane I'd see. Now you might see more spit16s or f4us, because the former didn't exist and the latter was uber-fied since the LA7 was king.

It's still just as capable as ever, but folks have other uber rides to HO in now, so it's less common.

The collective memory of all the dweebery of the la7 is still fresh in our minds, though.

I, personally, don't see as man of them overall. However I was HOed to death by 5+ upping LAs at a capped field just this week, so it does happen! (just not every time, like it used to be)

Krusty I have been HO'd by every type of plane and player in the game. Its extremely unusual for someone NOT to HO me. So much so, and I got HO'd by so many so often,  that now I will shoot anyone in the face I can if I cant get safe separation.

Truth is everyone, or almost everyone, HOs in this game. You can blame LA-7s for the games problems but go ahead and take it away and we'll see if these problems disappear. Im not hopeful.

The LA-7 is just a convenient scapegoat. Most of all for the guys who have been in the game the longest. Some of these guys actually expect the rest of us serfs to cooperate nicely while they shoot us down. Hows this for dweebery? Fly in at 15,000', dive down at 500mph+, and then run away? I could name dozens of airplanes Ive seen do that.

And I dont have much sympathy for anyone who gets HO'd while hes shooting fighters rolling down a runway. That is however the one and main strength of the airplane, that of base defense.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
La5 and LA7
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
interestingly when the La7 was introduced folk were not running around astounded at how uber it was and how dweeb flyers were flocking to it............

This took time .............well over a year after its introduction.

Then we had another year of folk claiming it was all wrong because it was modelled on false data put out by Soviet propaganda..... infact we still get this from time to time.

Now we have folk who condemn it because it denies them a kill according to some imaginary set of rules of engagement..........

Or denies them the chance of escape from a furball cos it chases them down..................

New players do HO more than others..... but I have to say that in my experience the ac that I typically expect to see HO (or at least target  a shallow angle forward straffe on the merge) are repeatedly P51's and 190's of various ilke. i.e ac that are being flown bnz in an inexperienced way and yes sometimes the la7 is flown (wasted) that way to.

I think the stuff of annoyance at the end of the day is when you have fought thru a hard won encounter (or several encounters) and find that you are undone by a player who can engage and disengage at will without having to exert a high level of skill. This makes the La7 annoying but it is what it is good at. Any wonder experten hate them!
Ludere Vincere

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »
Rich, you seem to be making implications about me and/or a complaint I've made. I just said one HOed me. I wasn't complaining. I was describing that I saw 5+ la7s upping repeatedly (a description of the frequency of its use).

My point was: "I don't see them as much as I used to, but there are times like THIS example where I do see them in large numbers like they used to"

It's not a "scapegoat" if it is the epitome of HO examples, also. Sure I see 190s do it and some other planes. But almost 100% of all las I see even pointed at me have been spraying as they zoomed past at mach 2.

P.S. Am I supposed to let them kill the troops entering their map room? I think not.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2008, 01:19:41 PM »
Naw I aint making implications. At least towards you. I am however aiming at the broad anti-LA-7 crowd. I wouldnt let anyone kill troops either. Thats another of my favorite LA uses. When a base is capped up from the closest base and zing into the town at 400 mph trying to kill troops.

One thing I do try and avoid is zinging in stealing the kills of others. I might stay high and back to help out if needed but I wont use the superior speed of the LaLa to screw some teamate whos on someone elses "6".

But you might be surprised at some of the people Ive seen do it. "Dweebery" is a state of mind. Not an "airplane".

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »
dweebery is an immature state of mind, and certain aircraft have capabilities such that even the most inexperienced pilots can effectively get kills, thus certain aircraft have more of a proclivity (or perhaps predisposition is a better word?) for being used by dweebs.

Thus dweeb planes.

While the plane itself is not dweeby, it appeals to dweebs.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »
dweebery is an immature state of mind, and certain aircraft have capabilities such that even the most inexperienced pilots can effectively get kills, thus certain aircraft have more of a proclivity (or perhaps predisposition is a better word?) for being used by dweebs.

Thus dweeb planes.

Thats remarkable Krusty. On behalf of all LA-7 dweebs I thank you for finding the right words.

I agree that its a sin that inexperienced pilots should actually have the nerve to fly airplanes that can land them kills. Dont they know its their job to fly lesser airplanes and die more often?:huh

Now that is the utmost in Dweebery. At least in the modern cartoon flight game environment.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »
Why do I even bother?

*sigh*

:(

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
La5 and LA7
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »

Thus dweeb planes.

There are no dweeb planes, just dweeb pilots.  No matter how you try to spin it, that axiom will always be true.

Do you really think that a player that HO's in a La7 won't do the same in any other plane they fly?  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
If you'd read my post you'd see I said as much. I go on to say there is a link between certain unskilled pilot types and certain planes that cater (via enhanced performance) to these pilot types.

The plane itself may not be, but it certainly seems those pilots flock to it in very large numbers.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2008, 03:15:48 PM »
Dudes, when I started in AH I thought the 190A8 was the coolest thing with a wing.  I also thought I needed to fly straight toward the enemy as fast as possible, HO, run, reverse, HO, etc.....mostly I didn't make it to the run part and certainly never to the "etc.

Then I found the LA7, still used the same tactics.  Graduated to the 109 because I found out that the LA7 was a dweeb mobile.  I still HO'ed, became quite good at it in a 109.  Found out that a rolling HO could land some serious damage on an enemy while taking very little myself.  However it did use up a lot of ammo.

Please note that my tale is now about a year into my AH "carreer".  Tried other planes, D9, F6F, F4U, Pony (cant fly it a lick, rip my wings off every time), Tiffie....I lived to Jabo and HO.

Then one fine day I decided a Yak9U was a good plane to try.  Wow, fly that for 6 months and see how much of a HO dog you are!  Not enough ammo for it at all.  My life changed from there.  I still HO if outnumbered (but almost never in a Yak9U), if my enemy does it first, or just because i feel like it :p   But I do get annoyed at seeing it used as the #1 tactic over and over and over and over...........

I think my point is that players will use whatever tactic they can, and will only change when they are ready.  Encourage change by all means, but if you sit and call someone a dweeb......they might just take pride in it and never even consider the possibility of changing.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
La5 and LA7
« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2008, 03:21:33 PM »
BTW...what was this thread about? :)