Author Topic: Debt Free!  (Read 1334 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 12:56:09 AM »
Originally posted by RedTop
Mortgage and 2 car payments.....thats it for my wife and I.

No plastic....No loans....no other debts other than those. It's not debt free...but these days....It's WAY better than most.

i think that's pretty normal actually, if you added 10k of credit cards on it.. not smart, but normal.

2 car payments.. ouch! borrowing money to pay for things that go down in value?    :rolleyes:
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2008, 01:39:24 AM »
Sun, Congrats bud!

I'm working hard to do the same thing.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2008, 02:49:32 AM »
Thanks for the positive responses from all!

And Iron, hey bud..no hijack perceived on this end. Sometimes conversations just normally branch off into other directions.   sir. :)

Also, the best of luck and success to all those working towards similar goals and congrats to those that have made it.

Regards,
Sun
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:54:20 AM by Sundowner »
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Debt Free!
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2008, 03:09:35 AM »
Me too dude, as of last Friday.  Feels great eh? :)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2008, 04:53:35 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor
Me too dude, as of last Friday.  Feels great eh? :)

:aok

Regards,
Sun

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
congrats..  The only real debt I have ever had all my life is home ownership..  I insist on owning a home tho.. I do not want to be at the mercy of a landlord... ever..

I think I have 4 payments left on my Lincoln but they were never really high.

I carry between nothing and a grand in credit card debt...  

My home will be payed off or I will sell it to buy paid off property.. I will have a septic and a well and some sort of solar electric with backup.

What is going to kill all of us.. renters included is... the EPA.. it will mean sewer bills in the hundreds of dollars a month and garbage bills running a hundred or so.. water the same.. there will also be a storm water bill coming soon..  it will start out bigger than you will expect.    

I am on prop 13 which means.. so long as I live here my property tax can't go up and.. it is very low but the other things will go up.. I will sell and be more self sufficient until I die or you guys get up the stones to tell the EPA to go screw itself.

lazs

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Debt Free!
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »
You rent? Why? I know this may sound silly, but...

Why not take out an interest only loan for a small home? Prices are down and real estate always goes back up. But the great thing is, the whole payment is tax deductable, that's right, write it off. Let's say you spend $1500.00 a month on an interest only loan. That's 18k right off the top! If you make 50k that year, it knocks it down to 32k tax income before any other deductions. On top of that you have a piece of property that WILL go up in value. It's a great time to buy and you will save money as well as invest it. Renting you are throwing money away, not saving it.

When I bought my home the first few years were almost all interest and I got to write it all off, it saves you alot of money.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
You rent? Why? I know this may sound silly, but...

Why not take out an interest only loan for a small home? Prices are down and real estate always goes back up. But the great thing is, the whole payment is tax deductable, that's right, write it off. Let's say you spend $1500.00 a month on an interest only loan. That's 18k right off the top! If you make 50k that year, it knocks it down to 32k tax income before any other deductions. On top of that you have a piece of property that WILL go up in value. It's a great time to buy and you will save money as well as invest it. Renting you are throwing money away, not saving it.

When I bought my home the first few years were almost all interest and I got to write it all off, it saves you alot of money.

Because (you won't believe this) my rent is only $400/month. Yes, it's not the greatest house but it's a 3 bedroom in the city. The husband of the couple I started out renting this house from in 1988 passed away a few years after we moved in and she never raised the rent over the years.

This circumstance makes our situation an exception to the rule in terms of renting verses buying.
($1500/month-$400/month =$1100/month extra I would have to expend in order to buy.)

The city is expanding the school system near this property and I expect it will be bought soon (by the city) to make room for the new school. This is one of the reasons I have worked to become debt free: in order to afford those high house payments you mentioned. hehe

Raising four children on one income with low rent always gave me incentive not to double or triple my housing costs by buying a house and forcing my wife to go to work. ;)

We always liked the idea of Mom home with the kids instead of daycare or babysitter.

Regards,
Sun

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Debt Free!
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »
Ahh, I see, well, keep in mind that prices are low and you have alot of options. Good luck!
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Ahh, I see, well, keep in mind that prices are low and you have alot of options. Good luck!

Thanks, sir.

We're gearing up to be first time buyers and it looks like it's becoming more and more of a buyer's market.

Regards,
Sun

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2008, 11:18:20 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Eagl, guys like you in the military are some lucky to be there.  Medical costs after retiring are going to be outstanding for us non-military types.

The whole getting shot at thing is a bit of a deterrent, as is the fact that if you quit even one day before the 20 year point, you get NOTHING...  Not even a way to buy into any coverage.

But yea, if you stick out the full 20 years, it's a good retirement.  But it's not anywhere near the best retirement I've seen.  The California Highway Patrol has the hands-down best retirement plan I've ever seen.  They have a really robust pension fund (fully funded and the state can't touch it) so the retirees will never get cut off, and full medical.  It's a great plan.  Of course, they also have the whole getting shot at thing to deal with, but a lot more CHP officers die from suicide or other personal events than get shot, so I figure the odds aren't really all that bad for them to make it to retirement if they choose to stick it out.

As you say, planning ahead is the trick no matter what job you have.  My Mom is sticking it out in her current job to ensure she has no gaps in medical insurance.  She needs to work until 63.5, then she gets 18 months of some sort of unemployment coverage, then medicare or whatever kicks in at 65.  And her retirement is pretty much a cash and investment deal through her company, so she is sitting on a decent pot of money for retirement.  Add in a social security check that might barely cover her property taxes (Calif), and she's pretty much set for life unless runaway inflation or a massive recession chops away her retirement investments buying power.  But that's what investment diversification is for, so I don't think she'll end up out on the street.  But getting where she is financially has taken some 45 years of financial discipline and planning, and most Americans are too short sighted and undisciplined to do anything for that long.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
Originally posted by Sundowner
Thanks, sir.

We're gearing up to be first time buyers and it looks like it's becoming more and more of a buyer's market.

Buying a home is often a good way to use money (and debt) for your benefit.  As long as you don't get greedy and buy a home that you MUST sell for a profit within a short timeframe, home ownership can be a great thing.

Something Lazs touched on that you need to consider - property taxes.  Do your research on property taxes before you buy, because you'll be paying those no matter what your income is and no matter if you own the house outright or not.  That's one reason why retirees have been streaming to undeveloped parts of Arizona for the last decade...  They realized they could get a nice standard of living and cut their living expenses in half, at the cost of moving somewhere where those damn kids don't want to live because it's in the middle of nowhere.  So just pay attention to all the extra costs you'll face, as lazs pointed out.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
Originally posted by Sundowner

Raising four children on one income with low rent always gave me incentive not to double or triple my housing costs by buying a house and forcing my wife to go to work. ;)

We always liked the idea of Mom home with the kids instead of daycare or babysitter.

Right there folks, is the benefit.

My wife has been a stay at home mom for 13 years now. I wouldn't want it any other way. Not to say I don't "let" her work or that she isn't good enough to create our family income. She made the choice, and continues to make the choice, to stay home and care for our children. I will work everyday as long and as hard as I need to in order for her to be able to stay home for our kids. Debt? You bet we got it. Well, if you call mortgage, utilities and a car payment debt. We don't use credit cards.

Way to go Sun!

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Debt Free!
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Ahh, nice. I stopped working to stay at home with the kids until they were all well into full-day school (now I work only during school hours). It was the best 8 years of our family's life ~ there won't ever be another 8 years like it. to y'all ~ and I'm glad to see that y'all are getting to enjoy something so wonderful! :)

Of course, financially it sucked sometimes... but none of that came even close to matching how wonderful it was.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac