Author Topic: Properly 'superchargey' DB605?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Properly 'superchargey' DB605?
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »
Been through all of the soundpacks (that I know of) and am searching for a 109 engine sound that has much more (the correct amount, from what I can gather) supercharger whine.

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq21MLP8gYI

Listen to the taxi at about 0:30 and again at 0:55.

Listen to the fly by at approximately 1:35.

Listen to the fly by at approximately 2:25.

Any reason why we cant duplicate this?  Just about every modern video with 109 footage sounds the same way yet the whine is absent is all our sound files.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:01:42 PM »
TwinBooms sounds sound a lot like that. Not quite as much supercharger whine, but the closest Ive heard.
I need to put them in eventually, havent gotten around to it.

Offline Angrist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »
love that video:aok

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »
Stick it in your sig TB
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:12 PM »
I've got a full run-up of a DB605, and the supercharger scream is only really noticeable when the engine throttles up. You can certainly hear it while it's idling at a specific RPM level, but it's less pronounced than you'd think, especially at full bore.

It's like that with all engines. A supercharger's scream is most noticeable when you throttle up, as that's when it's being worked the most. All of this being said, I will eventually release the authentic 109 sounds I've got, but I just don't feel like working on them yet.

And if you're wondering, the scream/howl you hear during a flyby in 109 footage you watch? That's from the air intake, much like the Corsair's whistle. It has nothing to do with the engine.

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »
The thing about that wine sound is you probably wouldn't notice it inside the cockpit as in my 109 sounds in my pack.  That's where the separate interior/exterior sounds would be nice.  The D-pony has a SC whine in flight but you don't hear it from the cockpit.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 08:34:23 AM »
Originally posted by Fruda

And if you're wondering, the scream/howl you hear during a flyby in 109 footage you watch? That's from the air intake, much like the Corsair's whistle. It has nothing to do with the engine.

Admittedly, my knowledge of aircraft engines isnt anywhere near some on this board, but I know car engines inside and out and that howl would be attributable to forced induction, in my estimation.

Granted, the actual noise itself emits from the intake and is the result of the air rushing through it into the combustion chamber, but the supercharger is what draws the air in quickly enough to cause it.

Since boost is constant with a supercharger (relative to RPM, anyway), that whine/howl/whistle is also constant (all things being equal), as opposed to a turbocharged engine where the 'boost whine' will change in both pitch and decibel level as the turbine is spun with more or less speed (relative to exhaust pressure, in this case).

So... in short, what I'm saying is that while some of the 'whine' is attributable to the architecture of the intake, its ultimately the result of the supercharger both directly and indirectly.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
Originally posted by Motherland
TwinBooms sounds sound a lot like that. Not quite as much supercharger whine, but the closest Ive heard.
I need to put them in eventually, havent gotten around to it.

I will second this, his 109 engine sounds are by far the best I've come across so far.

They don't have the same amount of high-pitched whine as you can hear from outside in the video posted above... but I suspect that inside the cockpit with the engine running right in-front of you that the base notes of the 12 cyclinder engine would largely cancel out the in-cockpit whine of the supercharger.

TB's sounds represent something of this nature.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:55:51 AM by Xasthur »
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"