Author Topic: Bait!  (Read 528 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
Bait!
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
I seldom lose my kewl while playing AH.Ho's, rams,etc don't bother me.I'm not a great stick,so I try to make up for it by helping fellow Knights everyway I can.I give as many check 6's as I can,and some I might miss,but I never allow a team mate to serve as bait,so I can garner a easy kill.Last nite I had it occur twice within 30 seconds.I'm chasing a Niki in my Ki61,and a tracer goes flying by my cockpit.I look back and heres 2 nits trying to out manuever each other for a shot at the Spixteen trying to dispatch me.No 6 call!A few seconds later,rinse and repeat.I ranted over vox,making a fool of myself.A few minutes later I spotted one of the bait users being followed by a LaLa.What did I do?You bet checked his 6!!Do I feel better after this?Yessir!Wish I hadn't lost it in first place.
IronDog
P.S. wish my namesake P39 would hurry up 8^)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Bait!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »
don't be too hard on yourself about it. probably everyone here has lost their temper a little bit & said something they wished they hadn't.

everyone already knows you're a stand-up guy, too. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Bait!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
You are a credit to the game, Iron Dog.  

I'm anxious to try out your namesake, too.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Bait!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
No one paid any attention to it I'm sure..... we all know an iron dog has no bark. I on the otherhand never gripe about anything :p
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline smokey23

• Nickel Member
Bait!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
I know what youre sayin irondog im a lousy fighter stick as most of the nits an rooks that have shot me down can attest to I usually use myself as bait to allow the better pilots in my squad and or country to get a clean shot. It doesnt bother me, im not playin for rank or perks im playin to have fun.If that meens i die more than the average guy so be it. My temper flares way outta control alot but the guys in my squad talk me down we get a good laugh out of it and press on.:rofl

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Bait!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:53:13 AM »
I had a countryman last night whining about not getting a six call.

What he, of course, didn't realize was that even if I had seen him, I'm a lefty.  I've never gotten used to, and don't use a hat switch, so, my left hand's on the JS and my right is on the num pad keeping my enemy's in sight.  All my JS buttons (and hat) are mapped to things like fire, flaps, trim, zoom toggle and other things I need in flight (no room left for check 6).

I'll give checks if I can but when I'm rolling around with a con there's no hands free.

It might have been the same situation with those you thought were using you as bait unless you all were flying straight, or maybe they don't know where the check 6 key is.  Regardless, I try to think the best of people, TRY not to whine too much, and don't rely on anyone else to check my 6 (If I get one it's a bonus).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Bait!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:31:54 PM »
I only use range radio to call check sixes - the mouse thing doesn't work very well for me, and the key thing doesn't work at all - by the time I cycle to the guy who I want to call six for he's dead six times over.  (And that's if I don't need to stop keyboarding and fly my own plane, in which case I end up calling six on someone else.)

And (not saying that this is what happened in the instance you are referring to, but from the description it could be) a lot of times in a furball I call peoples sixes less than 1/3 of the times that I potentially could because:

a) half the time the bandit targets one of the 9 other guys besides the one I thought he was going to when he started turning into them....
b) the amount of time, physical coordination and and/or radio bandwidth required to check everyone's six every time a bandit get's near them exceeds what I have available
c) in a furball, each pilot should automatically ASSUME that someone is behind them, and clear their own six every 3-10 seconds anyway.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
Bait!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:17:56 PM »
I use my self as bait all the time. when I have more E than the con I will go str8 up and let a squadie pick his dumb arse.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.