Author Topic: Appologise to community  (Read 2948 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Appologise to community
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
This little soap opera has been pretty funny. The Brits really know how to crack me up . I love their accent and the film Bat posted kept me laughing the whole way through. It was the jokes about Bobbit and other classic Brit humor that kept me from reading the text that started the whole mess but I get the picture.

I know personally how hard it is to make an apology on this forum.  I've felt it  necessary to give one myself a few months back. Adon did the right thing and thats important even at the cost of still getting bashed by some.  

Another funny thing I found was in Adon's signature. They're not the Wings of Terror anymore, they're called the  "Shut Up Vans" Squad now.
:rofl

Hope everything works out

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
Originally posted by acfireguy26
Spelling?
Comprehension?

Adonia = intentional girlie variation

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
....What I do find curious about this thread is all the high fives, salutes and praise that he's getting for making an appology....If an appology was warranted, it should simply be expected, not praised.

I hear what you're saying...

...but many people today just don't live that way, same as "Common Sense" seems pretty rare anymore. As far as I'm concerned, any time a smack talker, whiner, any other variety of "it's never my fault" thinking sees the light of personal responsibility, it's a good thing that's well worth praising.

After all, if everyone in AH saw how they looked to others, realized their mistakes, and apologized when they messed up, then we'd say goodbye to moderators and PNG's!!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
It takes a man to stand up, admit his shortcomings and offer an apology to the public.

That MUST be respected.

Adonai
"Rotorhed"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »
Originally posted by Roundeye
It takes a man to stand up, admit his shortcomings and offer an apology to the public.

That MUST be respected.

Adonai

I agree. And if I ever carry a beef to the grave it sure wouldnt be something that happened on an Internet flight game.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »
Originally posted by A8TOOL
This little soap opera has been pretty funny. The Brits really know how to crack me up . I love their accent and the film Bat posted kept me laughing the whole way through. It was the jokes about Bobbit and other classic Brit humor that kept me from reading the text that started the whole mess but I get the picture.

I know personally how hard it is to make an apology on this forum.  I've felt it  necessary to give one myself a few months back. Adon did the right thing and thats important even at the cost of still getting bashed by some.  

Another funny thing I found was in Adon's signature. They're not the Wings of Terror anymore, they're called the  "Shut Up Vans" Squad now.
:rofl

Hope everything works out

Its not hard to make an apology, does not take a "man" to do it, one admits when he's wrong and I have been a jerk over time, but thats just me, I never took it serious when someone slanders me, I enjoy some banter, but realized next guy might not, Yeah Shawk decided to rename the squad, this week its =Shut up Vans= next week its Dot Squelch Adonai :)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2008, 07:07:14 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
:lol  I have wondered exactly that same thing.

Me...I am the same in game as real life. Mostly happy go lucky. I have my moments of whinning in AH. Think everyone has. But for the most part , I just toodle along and have a laugh here and there and a good fight when they come.

THis "I'll be a jerk" in game....I dont buy.
I agree.  I'm pretty much the same in here as I am in real life.  It never crossed my mind to make up some persona to get my virtual rocks off night after night, shooting down cartoon airplanes has always done that trick for me.  

I strongly disagree with the idea presented here that people act in a different way than they are in real life.  If anything I think they act more like their true selves here than they do in the real world.

In life there are social constructs and pressures among other various reasons that keep most people in check.  In a virtual world, the things that hold us back are removed, allowing the true uninhibited self to come forth.  Actions that would get your bellybutton kicked in RL can be taken in the vittual world with little fear of reprisal or discipline, or better yet downright pain (think fist in the face).  Sure, you might get muted or banned, but those aren't really things that are strong enough to keep a troublemaker in check.

When poeple claim it's all just an act and that they aren't truly the way they present themselves, I say rubbish.  How many times have we seen the same person over the years apologize, act like they're going to change yet revert right back to the same antics that got them in trouble in the first place?  In this anything-goes online world where consequences of actions are largely removed, the true self can't help but show itself, free to be who and what it really is.  

I feel I have to comment on the difference between an Adonai and a SkyRock as well.  They have both claimed the "act" bit, but as I stated above I, in the words of RedTop, just don't buy it.  There is one huge difference though.  In all his rants on 200 and here on the BBs, I never saw anything SkyRock said be malicious in any way.  Sure he was calling poeple out, but always tongue in cheeck with smiley faces or a-ok emoticons, in essence saying hey it's just a game lets have some fun playing it.  Add to the fact that he is more willing to help people learn than just about anyone I've run across here, you get the full picture of who Mark is and what a genuine good guy he is, in game and out.

Now in Adonai on the other hand I have seen the opposite.  All his comments bear contempt for those he chastizes on 200 nightly, never being light hearted, just dowright rude.  Whenever asked to back up his smack, we get the typical blowhard responses... name calling and cowardice.

It's amazing he was able to get away with it for so long, until thankfully a highly respected member of the community called him on it.  But make no mistake this was coming sooner or later.  My only hope is he can learn from this grow as a person and become a positive member of this community.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:10:27 PM by Stang »

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
I quite disagree with the "real" person  always shining through in their ingame personality.  I for one, am a very quiet basketball player but at the same time extremely competitive(at least back in the day when I played competitively).  In this online game, there is a sense of freedom and "wartime" smack that I find hard to ignore.  Not to mention, many of the twits I've completely gone off on over the years deserved every word of it!!!!!!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2008, 07:57:50 PM »
I agree with Stang.......You can learn quickly  more about a person from a game online or not or "should I say how they play the game"  then anyother activity........This reminds me of my wife when we would play uno with the kids (young) I would be doing everything I could to lose the game....all the while my wife is trying to WIN!,,it still makes me laugh!

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
["I strongly disagree with the idea presented here that people act in a different way than they are in real life. If anything I think they act more like their true selves here than they do in the real world."]

or would like to act in real life but the fear of a real life reprisal is a bit scary.

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
Originally posted by SPKmes
["I strongly disagree with the idea presented here that people act in a different way than they are in real life. If anything I think they act more like their true selves here than they do in the real world."]

or would like to act in real life but the fear of a real life reprisal is a bit scary.

Yea, like getting kicked right in the coin purse.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:26:13 PM by Roundeye »
"Rotorhed"

Offline LTARifle

• Zinc Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
Id rather drink a beer in real life.
 Adonia you can talk all the smak on 200 you want to me I'll still salute you.
Its an entertainment to look how upset people can get over the cartoon world.
If 200 bothers people so much start squelching or turn it off completely.
Everybody gets irratated i just don't understand how a little smak talk
gets people so upset.

The option is there enjoy it or turn it off.
RIP Mac

566 SHAP Red Storm
II/JG27 Final Battle
98 Squadron Enemy Coast Ahead
aka Drephus 65th Fs and SWrifle 125th Spartans

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2008, 08:43:54 PM »
I also believe there is a large difference between SkyRock and Adonai.  SkyRocks's banter is all in jest, unless you really deserve it, LOL.  He's a friendly guy too.  He's also more than willing to help people out, and a good stick.  I don't think the two should be compared, unless they're being contrasted.

edit: nice write up stang.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Re: Appologise to community
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
Originally posted by Adonai
. I am apologizing to batfink and some others in community,

good man. S!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Appologise to community
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2008, 10:20:43 PM »
Best thing to do now is let it go.  The proof will be in how things go from here forward.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters