Author Topic: Spitfire Mk Ia Progress  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Jaxxon

• Copper Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 12:52:55 AM »
The guy in the pit will :D
Very nice work Jocko.
"I had found the one thing I loved above all others, to me it wasn't a bussiness or a profession, but a wonderful game".
WA Bishop

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
Jocko, Just to let you know this is coming from a Spit 1 pilot in game.

Congratulations, I just found my new skin.

Seriously Way to go, looks fantastic, and each of those tiny little details will help people to confirm that its my plane thats just crashed lol. A big  to you sir, now stop reading the boards and go and finish it lol
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
RAF fighters that had half-black undersides also had black along the fuselage. The split was straight down the middle. I've seen photos of this several times (B&W of course). It's not just the wing

The good news is that you don't have to find the edge of the black, just change the color of the underside on one side of the fuselage, and the skin will automatically cut off halfway underneath the plane.

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:09 PM »
The perfect work Jocko!
You must had good reference. :aok :aok :aok
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
RAF fighters that had half-black undersides also had black along the fuselage. The split was straight down the middle. I've seen photos of this several times (B&W of course). It's not just the wing

Yes, that was the official underside scheme for Fighter Command aircraft as of September 1938, but there were many variations of the scheme at frontline squadrons.  The 222 Sqn Spit (ZD-A) above was in service before the switch and had only the mainplane undersurfaces repainted in Night/White.  Everything else remained in the pre-war Aluminum finish.  There are other variations including Night/White but ailerons remaining Aluminum - painting only the underside of the ailerons could lead to unbalanced control in roll, predominately on aircraft with fabric covered ailerons, ie. very early Hurris/Spits.  Spits didn't start leaving the production line in the full Night/White markings until April 1939.

The Night port wing made a comeback after November 1940 for a short time, and this time a thin yellow ring was added to the port underwing type A roundel to break up the Night from the Blue.  The 92 Sqn Spit (QJ-F) above is finished in this scheme.  The Night wing was finally retired for good with the advent of the new Day Fighter Scheme in 1941.

Originally posted by Krusty
The good news is that you don't have to find the edge of the black, just change the color of the underside on one side of the fuselage, and the skin will automatically cut off halfway underneath the plane.

Good tip, thanks!  I'm doing a full Night/White version with the early war B roundels, should be done soon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:21:27 PM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
Amazing stuff, Jocko.

I could be wrong but I believe those double parallel wing skin ribs just outboard of the landing gear bulges on each wing were not there on production Spitfire I's. They appeared in 1943/44 when the Spit was routinely flying dive-bombing Jabo missions and having the skin crinkle from the high-speed pull out dives.

They're there now on warbirds for purposes of maintaining the aircraft.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
You could be right!  ;)

Just jumped into my bin of Spit references and photo evidence would have it that they (stiffeners) shouldn't be there, although some line drawings do show them.  I'm more inclined to believe period photos obviously ;)  Good catch, I'd copied them from the default skin without much thought.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
Pre-war Spit Mk I (Spit Ia hack)

Spitfire Mk I serial K9945, coded SD-H of No. 72 Sqn. RAF, Church Fenton, circa June 1939.  Semi-historical skin finished in Temperate Land Scheme of Dark Green and Dark Earth upper surfaces in the B scheme (mirror opposite to A scheme examples above), with under surfaces in Night (port) and White (starboard) divided down the fuselage centerline.  40" type B roundels on wing upper surfaces and 25" type B roundels on fuselage sides.

Template is about finished, might splash a bit of mud on it and clean up a few things.  Main wheels are too wide a diameter, still using the default ones although I dirtied up the tires.  BTW, anyone have definitive examples of Mk I stenciling on the upper wings?  Every example I find is different.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:28:36 PM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
Heh, that's what I get for growin up as a Canadian in the aviation community.
Spit obsession.

But really, it's lookin good!
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »
Awesome work!

Probably my favorite thing about this skin is how you kept all the weathering, exhaust, and gun soot very subtle and subdued.  I'm personally not a fan of gun soot, but if people are going to include it, they should use yours of an example of how to do it properly.  Very nice detail work as well.  Overall, the entire scheme matches itself.  No one feature really jumps out at you, but the harmony of the colors, shading, etc. overall is very conspicuous.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »
Longtime 41 Squadron fan here, although partial to the Spit XII era :)

From the photo collection showing the 1st Canadian markings on the 41 Spit.

Nice work on all of em Jacko
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 06:54:42 AM »
Jocko your Spit skins are superb,look forward to a mkIX,a 611 sqadron would be great.well done.:aok
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 07:41:40 AM »
Jocko, the skin looks excellent.

May I ask what method you use for your 'slightly worn paint' effect? It looks brilliant.

Regards,

Arch
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
Thanks all for the nice comments :-)

Geez, Guppy what a great shot!  I was using a painted profile as a reference for that presentation Spit, and that photo is a gem.

Stoney, you've nailed exactly what I was going for, namely uniformity.  Weathering is very subjective and I'm not very good at certain things like oil streaks, which Merlins produce like toddler's chin dribble.  I try to do enough to make it believable yet it's easy to go overboard and ruin the effect.  Same goes for cordite staining, depending on the aircraft in question and the theatre/time period it was active you can have no stains at all or in the case of the BoB, a very weathered appearance as everybody was more concerned with operational maintenance vs. parade square spit 'n polish.

For the overall paint wear effect I use two 'noise' layers, one black and one white.  Combining them and adjusting the opacity gives a a nice uneven faded look.  You can erase or tone down certain parts of the layer if you want the appearance of smoother areas like where armourers have been sitting/kneeling on the wing for example.  There's a lot of weathering layers though, this template has a total of about 120 layers at the moment!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:29:37 AM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Spitfire Mk Ia Progress
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »
Please go ahead and do one for all the spits Jocko!

We have to look good whilst we are shooting all of these german planes down ;)

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H