Author Topic: what gives?  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
what gives?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »
The MGFFs one of, if not, the weakest cannons in the game. I must just be me but I have to keep fire on a plane for more then a Ho or snapshot to take parts off. Last war a hurri1 took five, thats one, two, three, four five MGFFs to its left wing and went on flying like nothing happened. When I went allied a few times the first week of the last war I was killing people faster with the hurris guns then I was with the 109/110.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline justguess

• Copper Member
what gives?
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
While those two are legends in their own time when flying the P-40E, I'm not sure the reputation carries over to that pathetic P-40B.

Honestly, if someone can get a P-40B kill against a flying enemy plane, he should be lauded, even if the victim had a pilot wound and an engine out.  I count the P-40B to be the most useless death trap in AH2.

- oldman
but you say the same thing about my beloved 190A5 and that is not true.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
what gives?
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »
Originally posted by Odee

:rofl :rofl :rofl  @ "one of the hardest planes to kill" and "...piously..." whine.

Oh God, Republic, I can't wait to hear you comment on the Spit and Hurri 1's.
:rofl :rofl :rofl

**imagines what the Axis whiner's would say about the Boston if it were in AvA to counter the 110...  chuckles then goes back to bed...**

If you don't think the F4F is one of the hardest planes to kill in the AH planeset, you've obviously never attempted to shoot one down.  During our pacific setups when it's Zeke's vs the F4F it's almost comical how long it takes to bring one down.

Apparently you also misunderstood my post, I'm not whining, I'm saying you acklieds vastly underestimate the power of the F4F.  I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the planeset. It was in during the intro of the last war, if the staff want to bring it back, so be it.

The point of my post is to point out the incessant spirit of 'woe is me' that permeiates the Allies currently.  The Hurri1 and Spit1 can easily wipe the floor with us if you would all just coordinate.

The 110 is clearly the powerhouse of the setup as far as firepower...but even a marginally skilled allied pilot has the ability to keep out of those lethal gunsites.

All we hear lately are "waa waa no cannons waa waa".  Soon you'll have your hispano laserbeams so...just be patient.  Fly Axis once and awhile and you'll understand what it is to have to work with your strengths and guard your weaknesses.
P-47 pilot

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
what gives?
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »
Originally posted by republic
If you don't think the F4F is one of the hardest planes to kill in the AH planeset, you've obviously never attempted to shoot one down. .

I flew the 109E more than I flew the F4F last war. I didn't find the F4F that hard to kill, in fact it's no harder than killing a Hurricane. Just get in close and blast it with you cannons. I even killed two with the MGs only. Of course I'm not one of you uber skilled Jagdgeaschwader types so maybe I didn't know any better.

Allied pilots, we don't have the F4F so get over it and quit whining about it. You wanted a war,  well war isn't fair. There are times when the enemy has the advantage. Suck it up and deal with it. Your complaints just feed trolls like this one who'll be whining when the advantage goes the other way. You sound like little girls and you just give this chest thumper more ammo.

Just fly and kill as many of them as you can. For added realisim, dont cry when you die. Jebus it sounds like a slumber party in here.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
what gives?
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Allied pilots, we don't have the F4F so get over it and quit whining about it. You wanted a war,  well war isn't fair. There are times when the enemy has the advantage. Suck it up and deal with it. Your complaints just feed trolls like this one who'll be whining when the advantage goes the other way. You sound like little girls and you just give this chest thumper more ammo.

Just fly and kill as many of them as you can. For added realisim, dont cry when you die. Jebus it sounds like a slumber party in here.

Hah!  Shifty Wisdom.

- oldman

Offline republic

• Silver Member
what gives?
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »
Edit:  No point in bringing the discussion down to an argument of personalities I digress from this thread which is undoubtedly now a lost cause...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:46:03 PM by republic »
P-47 pilot

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
what gives?
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty

I've got $5 on Slash to win the pillow fight.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
what gives?
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »
Originally posted by justguess
actually that's exactly what I mean and do!!! did you not pick me while I was turnfighting spits and hurricanes in a 110?

here's my point (I'm going to put it out here again even though I'm sure I will miss again) it is a game and you don't die, you get as many free planes as you prang plus one per month at no extra charge.  I know this is difficult for some of us to grasp so it bears repeating YOU DON"T DIE!!!!

get with 1duke1 and ask him for some P40 lessons.  he can turn that thing against most anything and win.

dedalos is ok in it as well.

IF you were on a friendlies tail, YES I would dive in and flame you. Just like you would do if the rolls were reversed.

As for the game part, yes it is a game. Its a WAR game.

The P-40 does turn pretty good until you lose your speed. THEN your nothing but a slow moving target. Not how it was flown in WW2, except maybe for those pilots that didn't make it back alive.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
what gives?
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
Originally posted by Tango
The P-40 does turn pretty good until you lose your speed. THEN your nothing but a slow moving target. Not how it was flown in WW2, except maybe for those pilots that didn't make it back alive.

Actually, this is incorrect. I use the ability of the Pee Fortay to get slow, lose E, faster than other planes to force overshoots. The 109s and 190s especially hold E better and because their flaps dont deploy as soon the Pee Fortay (like all the US planes) can throw out the flaps and slam on the brakes. Once you get slow the Pee-Fortay has good stability and decent roll rate at extremely low speed. The key is to learn its limits at full flaps, unlike the Blue planes which can recover, once it does depart with full flaps you are in trouble. At full flaps, only the 109E and maybe the 109F in the German set can turn with it, and then only when its someone in the 109 that REALLY knows that plane.

I do agree that is not an historically accurate way to fly the Pee-Fortay but neither is the way we fly most of the AH planeset.

Offline justguess

• Copper Member
what gives?
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Actually, this is incorrect. I use the ability of the Pee Fortay to get slow, lose E, faster than other planes to force overshoots. The 109s and 190s especially hold E better and because their flaps dont deploy as soon the Pee Fortay (like all the US planes) can throw out the flaps and slam on the brakes. Once you get slow the Pee-Fortay has good stability and decent roll rate at extremely low speed. The key is to learn its limits at full flaps, unlike the Blue planes which can recover, once it does depart with full flaps you are in trouble. At full flaps, only the 109E and maybe the 109F in the German set can turn with it, and then only when its someone in the 109 that REALLY knows that plane.

I do agree that is not an historically accurate way to fly the Pee-Fortay but neither is the way we fly most of the AH planeset.
that assessment is spot on, but grits you left out the best part.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
what gives?
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »
Originally posted by justguess
that assessment is spot on, but grits you left out the best part.

Is that the part where the 109E can almost out turn the P40 even with its flaps up and the p40s down?
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
what gives?
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2008, 09:00:07 PM »
You guys keep this up and you're gonna end up costing me $14.99 a month again.

Dammit!  I'm supposed to be in Re-Hab!

RTR
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
what gives?
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
So your saying that four guns are better then six? Thing is that the F4F should have never been in the setup in the first place. It has 1/3 more hitting power then the earlier version and is two year older then the other one.

What I am saying that the 6 guns on the F4F-4 only increases the amount of guns over the F4F-3, not firepower since the ammo load was the same in the F-4 version as it was in the F-3.  The F4F-4 also had a decreased firing time, some 14 seconds less than the F4F-3.  The F4F-3 could spit out the same amount of lead as the F4F-4 and for a longer period of time.  To say the 6 guns on the F4F-4 somehow make it uber is, well, just downright silly.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
what gives?
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:44 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
What I am saying that the 6 guns on the F4F-4 only increases the amount of guns over the F4F-3, not firepower since the ammo load was the same in the F-4 version as it was in the F-3.  The F4F-4 also had a decreased firing time, some 14 seconds less than the F4F-3.  The F4F-3 could spit out the same amount of lead as the F4F-4 and for a longer period of time.  To say the 6 guns on the F4F-4 somehow make it uber is, well, just downright silly.

ack-ack

You must be smoking something good.:rolleyes:
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
what gives?
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
You must be smoking something good.:rolleyes:

No, just pointing out that the F4F-4's fire power is hardly uber.  Just because it has 6 guns doesn't make it a killing machine because it wasn't.  It's rugged construction and toughness is what makes the F4F-4 a formidible foe, since it can soak up cannon rounds and damage.  

So please, if you think the F4F-4's guns make it uber, please post some type of evidence that supports the claim.  Player anecdotes don't count since they're usually based on emotion, not fact.

What's next?  Whines about the side arm your virtual pilot carries?  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song