Author Topic: Viva los Jugs (con huevos)!!  (Read 1198 times)

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
Re: Viva los Jugs (con huevos)!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »
This is the reason I post my work before I submit, you guys catch stuff I miss (when you look at it for a while it all looks good).

I'll have to agree with the fuselage stripes widewing, I'll cut them down in width to match. Now with the wing stripes though, I have a bit of an issue. I used the panel lines on the drawing to match them up as good as I could on the wings. The problem we both saw was the Rondel doesn't line up in the middle. The thing I noticed about the picture was the bars on the rondel are way too wide. I drew the star and bars from some reference material on dimensions I got from my dad & also some micro scale decals. When I lined up the rondel on the wingtip it didn't line up right with the stripes. So my question to you is, should I move the rondel towards the fuselage or modify the stripes?

Thanks for the advice widewing, you are another great skinning resource.

<S>
Mudf1y - Gone, but not forgotten.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 12:26:33 AM »
I think it's a proportion issue. Look at my image again...

Note that the width of your insignia and that of the profile are the same, but the circle is smaller. If you increase the width of the white bar slightly and then move the insignia right until it nearly lines up with the gun access door edge, you would have the same proportion and it should then be centered. This assumes that the profile is scaled correctly.

You realize that when I fly this Jug, I'm gonna have to install a Spanish check-6 file....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »
I guess proportion is what I was trying to convey. The proportions on the bars from the profile is off. It shouldn't stretch all the way to the gun loading door. I used the dimensions from the USAAF specs then scaled it down to fit the skin (working in feet in photoshop is kinda fun, you have to zoom WAY out).

So here is my dilema, change the bar dimensions or make the stripes smaller? I guess we could resolve this if I could find a real pic of a Mexican Jug.

Oh, word of advice, don't do 5 skins of the same kind of aircraft at the same time (working on fixing my old skins that made it into game too), it gets confusing as to what needs what fixed & changed.

And in regards to your spanish check six sound, I'm considering changing the No Step to No Paso (along w/ other stencils)
 :aok

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 03:39:07 AM »
So, with a little help from one of AH's best skinners (to remain nameless unless he chimes in & takes credit) I've changed my technique a tad & come up with the latest revisions to this skin:
(Image removed from quote.)
Still needs some tweaking here and there, just wanted to post & see what you guys think.

Just a little nit-pick...  There is one more series of cowl latches on the very front of the cowl that you have missing.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »
Just a little nit-pick...  There is one more series of cowl latches on the very front of the cowl that you have missing.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
Know exactly which latches he's talking about. I've actually found some that my dad has in his collection:
http://depot41.com/p47.htm

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 11:10:46 PM »
Any better? Either the antenna is in the wrong spot in the profile or the game because I couldn't get the stripes to line up with it. I overlaid the profile on my skin to duplicate the lines & this was the best i could do. Turns out the star & bars on the wings on the profile are the correct dimensions, I just scaled mine up while constraining them & it matched perfectly. The ones on the fuselage are off though, the bars are too wide so I couldn't match it exactly. I scaled the round part just a tad to make the whole thing wider to try to get it to look better. Still not perfect.

Lemme know what you think.

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
Looking good.  :aok

I'm surprised we haven't heard any jokes about NOE missions sneaking across enemy borders yet.  :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »

Lemme know what you think.

Excellent! Great job...

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 07:32:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. The help from you guys helped me produce what I think is my best skin to date. I'm just gonna blur the fuselage stripes to match the wing stripes & call it done.

Thanks again. :salute

JeepinAZ

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
Any photos of this bird besides the profile?  I'm asking as there has always been the infamous take residue/vs yellow outline debate thanks to "The Flying Undertaker" P51

The standard ID bands were just black not black with yellow outlines.  I'm at work so my stuff isn't here, but the Mexican Jugs were hand me down 35th FG birds if memory serves and would have been just black.

I'll look for an image when I get home.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JeepinAZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »
Any photos of this bird besides the profile?  I'm asking as there has always been the infamous take residue/vs yellow outline debate thanks to "The Flying Undertaker" P51

The standard ID bands were just black not black with yellow outlines.  I'm at work so my stuff isn't here, but the Mexican Jugs were hand me down 35th FG birds if memory serves and would have been just black.

I'll look for an image when I get home.

I have yet to come up with a pic although I've been a tad busy w/ all the other skins in the works. Nobody had mentioned anything about the yellow yet. I'll put a hold on submitting this one until I can find one.

Wiki (I know, not the best resource) snip about the Escuadron:

"Beginning in June 1945, the squadron initially flew missions with the 58th FG's 310th Fighter Squadron, often twice a day, using borrowed U.S. aircraft. It received its own new P-47D aircraft in July, marked with the insignia of both the USAAF and FAM."

Freelance AHII Skinner

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 12:15:53 AM »
Checked all my 5th AF and Jug stuff.  Can't find anything showing the regular black ID bands outlined in yellow.  I believe the profile is a product of the dreaded masked overspray look that I mentioned before.

Image of one of the Mexican Jugs and another hand me down Jug.  Black bands without an outline
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters