Author Topic: Kill a newborn, get community service  (Read 416 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Kill a newborn, get community service
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
Ya know, I keep saying how city politicians focus on guns etc. to avoid having to make individuals and their communities responsible for their actions. One gang banger kills another and its not really the murder's fault; it's not the failed social programs that cause a deadly environment to fester; its not the neighbors that refuse to "snitch" -- it's the gun's fault.

Well, that seems to be a very deep rooted philosophy around our most progressive urban bastions, even in the court system. For example, from the Trib:

Girl, 16, who murdered her newborn gets probation, counseling, community service at a day care
Sauk Village teen was found guilty of second-degree murder and concealing a homicide

By Lolly Bowean | Tribune reporter
    2:59 PM CST, February 26, 2008

A 16-year-old Sauk Village girl who suffocated her newborn daughter and placed the baby in the trash was sentenced to 5 years of probation and counseling in Cook County Juvenile Court on Tuesday.

And although court officials discussed sentencing the girl to time in juvenile detention, attorneys and representatives said the girl would be better served if she remains in the custody of her adoptive mother.

The girl, who is not being named because she is a juvenile, appeared Tuesday in the Markham courthouse in front of Judge Michael Stuttley. She didn't speak during sentencing and kept her eyes lowered during much of the process. Stuttley also sentenced the girl to complete 100 hours of community service at a day-care center.

The girl was arrested in October 2006 after she told detectives she secretly gave birth in the middle of the night in the bathroom of her house in the 21400 block of Peterson Avenue.

In October, the girl was found guilty of second-degree murder and concealing a homicide.

The girl has been back at home since January 2007, officials said in court. Since returning home, she has caught up on school work at Bloom Trail High School and started seeing a counselor once a week. She checks in regularly with a probation officer and is trying to join in school sports, probation officer Linda Burns said.

The girl is "very guilty about what happened and she's doing well at home and doing well in school," Burns said.

Burns told the judge that the girl has had no problems at home and that she goes to tutoring after school for help in English. As part of her counseling, she is getting treated for post traumatic stress disorder and eventually her family will receive counseling.

Stuttley asked for an update on the girl's progress one year from now.

See, the poor girl is actually the VICTIM!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Well she could be a "victim"  a victim of poor parenting...  how does someone not know their daughter is pregnant...

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
she kills a baby and gets community service at a day care? :huh

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »
What on earth do guns have to do with the article?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline mentalguy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
she kills a baby and gets community service at a day care? :huh

Ya, WTF?
PFC. Corey "Mentalguy" Gibson
USMC

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »
LOL, what day care center would let her into their facility to do the community service?  Good luck selling that to the kids' parents.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
What on earth do guns have to do with the article?

Just the attitude. Everyone is a victim. Even the killer is somehow a victim. It's a basic, underlying reality living in these areas. It flavors virtually all of the coverage of crime. It flavors political actions. It flavors the courts. No human is to blame; there is always an underlying circumstance we must give equal weight to explain or forgive some horrid behavior.

No one is personally responsible for their actions. She was a victim of society and needs counseling.

So no, the incident itself has nothing directly to do with guns. An argument could be made that it has more to do with abortion policy, though that's not a hot button issue for me. However, the very attitude shown by the Cook County court reflects the almost total disregard for personal responsibility that drive most gun control legislation in major urban areas. Of course, it drives many other disagreeable social engineering actions as well.

If she had shot her baby with a gun, the Brady Bunch would have a press release showing how the baby would be alive if there were no guns. The local media would lead with "Gunman kills baby with gun!" Maybe there will be a call to ban plastic bags.

Charon
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:17:05 PM by Charon »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
While most of the responses show outrage, you have a few like good old fran from Watertown Wis.

What makes you people so angry, what problems do you have in your life that you want to crucify people when you are not aware of the complete circumstances. I can't imagine having that much anger. I am glad I do not have to share my life with any of you. I am not saying that this girl should escape punishment, but I don't have all the information and I do think that there should be some sort of feelings for this young girl who for some reason felt the need to kill the baby rather than just take it to a hospital or church and leave it. I just don't understand the hate you people display.

Unbelievable.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-sauk-village-girl-sentenced-webfeb27,1,6530985.story

Of course several of the posters point out that if she wasn't likely white, she would have received a stiffer punishment. Showing a kind of victimization, once removed.

black girl push someone gets 7 years in a texas jail white girl kill her baby gets probation ...........something is really wrong with the law...

Charon
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:35:34 PM by Charon »

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:42:39 PM »
holy crap ~ they ordered day care community service??? wow. unbelievable. hope the parents are super well informed of what kind of folks are in that facility, so they've got the option of removing their kids.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
I'd love to see the reactions of the parents whose daycare employees this gal.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »
I know nothing of the case but what I just read. Just the end result

She's 16 now...so therefore got pregnant at 13. Was she raped?

Pregnant at 13? Good lord!

I know enough of Chicago to know I hate driving through it...what kind of neibourhood is 21400 Peterson?

And the story says returned to the custody of her adoptive mother.  Adopted post pregnancy?

Too much more to this story that we don't know.

On the surface, yeah it's pretty outrageous

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:26 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
Just the attitude. Everyone is a victim.

If she had shot her baby with a gun, the Brady Bunch would have a press release showing how the baby would be alive if there were no guns. The local media would lead with "Gunman kills baby with gun!" Maybe there will be a call to ban plastic bags.

Charon

EveryONE.  A gun is not a human.

"If" is the operative word in the second sentence.

She stranguled the child.  They should BAN STRANGULATION!

Oh wait...they have.

Trying to make a statement about guns with this article is pretty weak.  I dunno...is it some form of flirting with lazs or something?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
Just think, if she had killed it a few minutes before it was  born, she wouldn't have even gotten probation...

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
Trying to make a statement about guns with this article is pretty weak. I dunno...is it some form of flirting with lazs or something?

You're making it more about guns than I am.

I simply noted that this type of behavior, in general, is what I talk about when I state that politicians, the media and overly sensitive progressives can't seem to fathom that at some point we are responsible for our actions as individuals. Usually, when I mention this, it involves blaming a pice of steel for one gangbanger, with a long criminal record, killing another gang banger with a long criminal record.

Of course, these gang bangers have typically enjoyed plenty of relatively lenient court behavior up to their getting convicted for the big one, and usually even after that. Perhaps being allowed to commit another big one or two.

But yeah, the mention of guns does unnecessarily narrow down the whole cesspool of social ills that seem linked to overly progressive environments with gun control being just one symptom. As a cook county tax payer (just paid today, in fact) I can assure you there are plenty of others.

As for the flirting with Lazs... Don't be jealous -- I know he's  taken.

Charon

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »
What is the difference between killing a newborn and killing a viable human being in the womb.

You guys are missing the point.. it was the mother who did the killing and.. everyone knows... it is all about the mothers right to choose.

lazs