Author Topic: The 'new' AvA  (Read 1292 times)

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
The 'new' AvA
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 04:47:09 PM »
I dunno, maybe I did have too much of a knee jerk reaction. I'll give it some time and see if I can find something I like about it.

How do I coordinate with others in the fight, is there a private forum or anything, like for the squad ops?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
The 'new' AvA
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
Well, I guess I have rosed colored glasses myself.......

Eagler, Redd, Dedalos, N7, Big Max, Gremlin, Octavious, Wotan, Shane, Duke, Oldman, Grits, etc etc.must of all had them rose colored glasses on too.......

things have changed, and it has been quiet recent verses very long ago, no it has not always been like it is now and or how it was a few other times before now......

yes there was a mythical "unwritten rules or code of ethics".that all the players above mentioned respected and respected and showed curteosy to each other.

it has been posted before that numbers isn't everything.......and yes it is a shining example of a quake minded player base mini MA.......

and this is why I have not upped for anything in resemblence to playing this flight sim / game except for a select few KOTH tournaments or a possible FSO or Scenario, if I am able to make any of them. the rest is pure romper room kiddie BS......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
The 'new' AvA
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Can anyone honestly say the AvA is a MINI-MA? In what way? Gameplay? What gameplay?  Do you mean the individual actions of some pilots? That has nothing to do with the big picture of the AvA.  You'll always have people doing actions that are similar to that of the MA. And because base capture tactics and defences are the same - to a point.  But that is where the similarities end.

Three big picture differences:

1. AvA atmosphere: historical maps, squad based action, historical aircraft for the time period and side.  Axis vs Allies is the theme of our arena. Furthermore, players have been asked to sign up for each side.  Who are you? An Allied or Axis pilot?  Got what it takes to earn an award or medal?

2. Objective based gameplay: there are actual objectives to win a war.

3. Force Commanders: each side has an individual commanders and XO's to meet their objectives by planning attacks on airfield though different missions and squadrons.  If you think this is not happening, you all need carefully watch how the Axis and Allied forces have been coordinating their efforts.  The scary piece: it's not that much different that what happened in real life during WWII.

All add up to make the current War an fun and interesting arena to fly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:38:43 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline republic

• Silver Member
The 'new' AvA
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »
I still enjoy the AvA, if only for the simple fact that usually my plane was designed to shoot down every plane I shoot down.  The eccentricities of the LW aircraft make sense when your fighting allied craft.

No one can say that the war is peaches and creme.  It has it's moments, but they have been few and far between.  I think a good reason for that is lack of real squad participation.  The LW has JG54, JG11, JG3, and the Avengers.  Great squads with combined tactics and a good comraderie among the pilots.

The allies, as far as I have seen, have a more loner approach.  There are the Tomcatters, and the 68 fellers but...really don't see much in the way of a coordinated effort.

It encourages the use of dweeby tactics to survive, is unfun, and generally makes it boring for them and boring for us.

It might be interesting to spice things up with events that take the focus away from toolshedding.  Like Monday is mossie vs 110g2 day, Tuesday P51D vs 109-K4 day, etc.  A couple days a week where the focus can be on AvA oldschool air to air matchups.

Some sort of method to increase GV usage would be nice.  Maybe one day of deathray ack.

All of this, unfortunately, calls for lots of staff time investment.  Staff who I'm sure who are already pulled in enough directions.
P-47 pilot

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
The 'new' AvA
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
Originally posted by republic
The allies, as far as I have seen, have a more loner approach.  There are the Tomcatters, and the 68 fellers but...really don't see much in the way of a coordinated effort.

This Past week or two I have found this to be Very True. As for someone who Has not signed up for a side I have only flown as Allie. Maybe if I signed up I would be able to get more info on whats going on.

Crims

479th Raiders
Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
The 'new' AvA
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
Originally posted by republic

What about thier great attack of A8?:lol
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner