Author Topic: Anyone ever get these emails?  (Read 390 times)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Anyone ever get these emails?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
One real problem is that you're not considering the gold standard of spam & scam.  They know that most people will ignore them or see through things.  But anyone who jiggles the hook is worth watching.  There are spam & scam lists where folks who expressed interest (even if they didn't follow through) are flagged for more attention.  By giving them your number, you got onto 'a list' as a potential sucker worth investing more time in going forward.  This could include them taking the effort to correlate the publicly available information about you in conjunction with an elaborate phishing expedition or other fraud because, in their book, they now have a 'connection' with you.
I say connect away!  You can't squeeze blood from a turnip and such...

But seriously, it's been well over a year since they called and my identity hasn't disappeared yet.

I think you are giving these boneheads more credit than they deserve.  They send millions of emails out and get a few hits.  They employ the same tactics as I've heard some men use to pick up women:  Whisper a lewd comment into 100 women's ears and you'll get your face slapped 99 times.  But there's always that 1...

edit spelling
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:58:15 AM by sluggish »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Anyone ever get these emails?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
Possibly.  But I wouldn't give out any more info to anyone.

These guys may be pretty stupid but they have relatives/friends in the US and the lot of them would slit your throat for $10 and not give it a second thought.

Let's be careful out there.

;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain