Author Topic: About the Lanc?  (Read 588 times)

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
About the Lanc?
« on: February 28, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
I don't fly the bombers so I don't know a lot about them.  I tried to take off with a Lancaster today offline and it basically wouldn't hardly lift off the ground.  With auto-takeoff it used the whole runway and I had to pull back on the stick to get it up. Once I did that, if i tried to get barely more than level flight it would creak & groan :(  
The drones were up and above me while I was still struggling.  I tried calibrating my joystick and throttle setup and that didn't help. I changed to a P-51 and it took off as normal.  I tried a Ju88 and a B-25, they seemed like what I imagine a bomber feels like, but what's up with the Lancs?  Are they normally that heavy or is there something I'm not doing right?
George "Alky®" Fisher

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
About the Lanc?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
Chances are you took way too much fuel. Reduce fuel load to 25%. Only in rare cases you might consider taking 50%, but never more. Select a runway with no obstructions at it's and and retract flaps - usually you don't need them at takeoff.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
About the Lanc?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »
Lanc carry a big load and won't just jump up into the sky, worst yet, did you try with full fuel load? Never really need more than 50% fuel in a buff, you can reach, and return from most targets with 50%. Other than that, it just takes a long time for a Lanc to get up there, launch from a rear base, set it to auto climb and go make lunch  :D

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
LANCs were built with rocks, but if you have the paitence to get it up to altitude then its payload will kill anything you want.

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
Ok, thanx guys, fuel was the biggest issue it looks like. I had it at 75% and 14k lbs of bombs.  I changed the fuel to 25% and the bomb load to 13k lbs., and it lifted on auto-takeoff, sluggish, but went up lol.
Well, I may have to learn how to use the bomb sights and try out a different part of this great game
:cool:
George "Alky®" Fisher

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »
as one person stated you need to lift your flaps back up. most bombers start with two notches of flaps. Q and W move your flaps up and down, before take off move your flaps all the way up. :aok  you can take off with any load of bombs just make sure you know what your fuel setting is and that your flaps are up.

the sounds you where hearing when you lifted with out auto takeoff is going to be your landing gears. auto takeoff lifts your gears for you, however when you manually lift off you have to pull them up yourself by hitting the G key. Salute
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »
Originally posted by kilz
before take off move your flaps all the way up.

I disagree. When you start rolling, retract your flaps to the upwards position. However, when you get to about 100 IAS, you can start to deploy them, especially in lancasters or other heavy bombers (such as the P-38). The reason behind this is, you don't want deployed flaps to marginally hurt your accel up to takeoff speed, but once near takeoff speed the flaps are far more beneficial than they are detrimental to your acceleration. Any heavy bomber can benefit from flaps during the initial liftoff.

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
About the Lanc?
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:25 AM »
Originally posted by trotter
I disagree. When you start rolling, retract your flaps to the upwards position. However, when you get to about 100 IAS, you can start to deploy them, especially in lancasters or other heavy bombers (such as the P-38). The reason behind this is, you don't want deployed flaps to marginally hurt your accel up to takeoff speed, but once near takeoff speed the flaps are far more beneficial than they are detrimental to your acceleration. Any heavy bomber can benefit from flaps during the initial liftoff.

The way the bombers are in HTC, you  may load heaviest load of bombs, 1/4 fuel and easily lift without the use of flaps.  You could even load 1/2 fuel with the same results.

Now at the same time if I were to load 100% fuel plus bombs, I would need that extra lift during take off and deploy a notch or 2 of flaps.  Of coarse the only reason I would load that much fuel was if I planned a mission from LWblue arena to EW arena and back :D

BTW:  P-38 is classified as a fighter, fighter bomber at best.......not Heavy Bomber......FYI

SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:50:24 AM »
Basically, bombers are very heavy birds. Take 25% fuel, and to as trotter says. Flaps up until takeoff speed, or pretty much when your tailwheel lifts off the ground, then add a notch or two down.

After you get off the ground, stay generically low, but high enough to avoid trees and hills and such. Once you gain a fair amount of speed, start climbing. Don't go too sharp of an angle, though, or you will end up stalling and slamming into the ground, kinda like throwing a penguin into the air :lol

You should eventually get a nice alt (preferably above 15k) and off you go! I'd recommend you constantly check the sky around you for that red nosed devil closing in on you (LA7)

You don't want to get shot down after all that hard work now, do yah? :p
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
Originally posted by trotter

as what you have stated is true, however the way the lancs are modeled in Aces High you can lift with a full tank of fuel and the big bomb package and still lift with out flaps :)

and to accel you should not use the runway with lancs to get your accel up. you hold down your brake (spacebar) and i always add the left and right brake for extra ( V key for left brake and B key for right brake) and let your RPMS get to full then release all brakes and you take off and you can still have two notches of flaps deployed and still be good. :aok
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »
kilz, I think that the default setting may be "C" for left wheel brake, and "V" for right wheel brake

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
Originally posted by Yossarian
kilz, I think that the default setting may be "C" for left wheel brake, and "V" for right wheel brake

Yossarian

From my memory, yes, C and V are wheel brake keys, on their corresponding sides.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
Originally posted by Yossarian

Yossarian

you are correct sorry i must have missplaced me fingers DAM FAT FINGERS.
Former LTARkilz

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
About the Lanc?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
Lancs are very heavy aircraft, dump some of your fuel.  A lanc can make it across the map with 50% fuel, 100% is just excessive.  Also, there are only a few strips that you can take off on, some have obstacles that you can't weave around (trees, cliffs, etc.).
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."