Author Topic: Your top five war movies  (Read 1255 times)

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:28 PM »
Very Hard.
5 - Black Hawk Down (non-stop action)
4 - Saving Private Ryan (EXTREMELY well written)
3 - A Bridge to Far (Very well done and shot)
2 - Kelly's Heroes (Stop with the negative waves......)
1 - The Longest Day (I could watch this again and again and again....)
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
Re: Your top five war movies
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
OK if you had to pick 5 of your all time favorite war movies what would they be?

I just screened "Das Boot" over the weekend, "actually made me think of starting this thread". This is an absolutely great war movie and is definitely in my top 5. Others would be "The Bridge Over the River Kwai". "Tora Tora Tora" is my fave all time flight movie. "All Quiet On the Western Front" is a gem. And last would probably be "Platoon".

That last one on your list in no way compares with the others.

It was a piece of anti-American, anti-US Military garbage.  Purely a venue for Oliver Stone to vent his Anti US government feelings.

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by Leslie
1.  The Train

2.  Is Paris Burning?

3.  Howard Hughs' Hells Angels

4.  The Longest Day

5.  Sergeant York

Everyone should see "The Train".  It was one of Burt Lancaster's best performances ever.  A real classic.

Movies like that are simply not made anymore.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
Originally posted by Redlegs
O man how could i have forgotten we were soldiers

When the list of KIA rolled at the end....first time I ever cried in a movie theater.

Sam Elliot really nailed it as the Sergeant Major, best role he's ever played.
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline SIG220

• Nickel Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 09:21:31 PM »
Originally posted by John Hynds
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
We Were Soldiers
Stalingrad- from the same people who made Das Boot
Patton- although the combat scenes leave a litle bit to be desired. Would    
             actually tie this with The Longest Day
There's alot of good war flics out there kinda hard to narrow it down to five.

"We Were Soldiers" was a very well made movie.  And while it did OK at the box office, the liberal Hollywood press never liked it, since it did not make American soldiers out to be sick and twisted wackos.

John Wayne's "The Green Berets" was way too political too, and on the opposite side of the spectrum from the war movies the left endorsed.  It was also not a very well made movie in my opinion.

"We Were Soldiers" focused on real life events, and what it was like to be an American fighting in Vietnam.   It is another must see for anyone who missed it.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »
i forgot about We were soldier's as well but it is a very good movie!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
Platoon
Schindler's List
Apocalypse Now
Das Boot
Hotel Rwanda

Honorable Mention:
Band of Brothers
Gettysburg
The Great Escape
Saving Private Ryan

Platoon was the most convincing portrayal of soldiers I have ever seen in a film. The soldiers talked and walked like soldiers of that era, they used words and phrases in their dialog that I'd never heard anybody but my father say, I thought he made them up. Blackhawk Down tried to do this but it was compromised by hollywood polish. The result was inathentic.

Schindler's List for delivering so completely the sense of the inhuman indifferant regard of the germans toward the jews.

Apocalypse Now for capturing the unbelievable sureal insanity of that war. And the plausibility of the story. Special forces sergants were deployed individually to primitive tribes thoughout vietnam and were winning the war in their area to a degree that brought them unwelcome attention from the Army establishment. The soldiers became so ingrained into the villages that adopted them that they were very reluctant to be reassigned from them usually it would require a lot of threats and compromising. From their perspective they gained a great amount of sympathy for the villagers' bitter resentments toward both vietnamese governments. It's not inconcievable that the US army would have to deal with a rogue adviser.

Das Boot. The definitive factor of a submarine war movie is the suspence factor. Depth charges and dives, how much pressure and punishment are they willing to take before they break. This movie delivers supsence like it was ghostwritten by Edgar Allen Poe. All submarine movies since have been pale mimics. Visually it is quite convincing, no other naval warfare movie comes close. The irreverence that the veteran submariners display for military pomp is protrayed wonderfully. The one thing that bothered me was that the only nazi on the entire ship was the outcast, he wasn't even from germany. That's simply ahistorical and smacks of revisionism.

Hotel Rwanda. If it were fiction, and it's not, it would still be an excellent film in it's own right. The fact that it's a true story makes it even more commendable. Definitely a must see, and I would recomend the documentary "Ghosts of Rwanda" as a companion.

Band of brothers. The only bad thing I can say about it is that it suffers from the same inauthentic and hollywoodesqe dialog that really hurt Saving Private Ryan. But band of brothers offers so much to outway it's detractions.

Gettysburg. If you have any interest at all in the american civil war you should watch this. If you're not interested in the civil war, you will be after you watch it. The best civil war film.

The Great Escape. Would've been in my top five, would have been a great movie if the directors wouldn't have catered to the primadonna Steve McQueen. The other actors were tremendous, very believable, really a dignified tribute to the real life POWs that they were portraying. The studios wanted McQueen's face on the posters to sell tickets in America. So when he threatened to walk off the set unless they made him the hero of the movie they acquiessed and bent the film around McQueen's ego. The result is generally a very good movie between the scenes that McQueen stars in. His acting is bathos. Go back and watch this movie, pay particular attention to McQueen's scenes and ask yourself if his mimicry is more congruous with a serious war drama or The Little Rascals.

Saving Private Ryan. A very good movie if only for the action. Visually it is spectacular, a landmark wwII film. If it were a novel it would be a complete flop. That is to say, take away the cinematic experience and all you're left with is very generic and unrealistic dialogue. The characters were quite unconvincing as crack commandos of the US army's most elite unit at the time. Spielberg would have us believe that commanding officers of the ranger regiment were basically augmentees at the beginning of the war, not lifers. And that rangers in wwII were basically undisciplined average joes who are only in the military because of the war. In both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan the dialogue is amost john waynish at times. The attempt at humor in both films is so inane that it's really just bad and way out of place.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
In no particular order

We Were soldiers
Private Ryan
Enemy at the Gates
Band of Brothers
Black Hawk Down

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
Gotta say band of brothers was my favorite along with bob and saving private ryan(era movie prob schindlers list as well), all movies i liked but i got into Band of brothers the most.

I liked deep blue but there was just to much gaga love making not enough fighting.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Your top five war movies
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »
Flags of our Fathers, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, We were soldiers, Wind Talkers. Those are mine.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
1. Perl Harbor
2. Thin Red Line
3. WindTalkers
4. Fly Boys
5. Rambo I, II, III  (Really count as the same movie)
6. Iron Eagles I, II, III (See above)

:cool:,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »
Not particularly in this order

Gettysburg
Battleground (1949)
The Story of GI Joe
Private Ryan
Patton

Band of Brothers (Miniseries)

Also rans

12:00 high
Tora tora tora
Midway

Fireball forward  "Well, when you're too old for command, and too young to retire, and too stupid to do anything else, there's only one place for you in this man's Army - Intelligence!"

and thereis another movie I cant remember the name. Havent seen it in a long while
But Its about a leutenant that takes over a unit and is told by his commander that until he learns whats going on. All he is is a messanger boy for the seargant to communicate with the commander.

Then the Leutanant eventually moves up in command and tells his replacemnt the exact same thing.

Cant remember the name. Good movie though
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 11:31:36 PM »
Originally posted by Suave

Gettysburg. If you have any interest at all in the american civil war you should watch this. If you're not interested in the civil war, you will be after you watch it. The best civil war film.

the last 1/2 hour is best experienced with the sound cranked up as loud as you can get it.

the cannonade is worth it

I make things vibrate off the shelves at my house.
and the dogs run for cover LOL

:aok :aok
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »
Originally posted by AKWabbit
1. Pearl Harbor

Yay! I'm not the only one!

(fixed spelling mistake for ya too ;) )

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Your top five war movies
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2008, 12:31:58 AM »
Movies (In no particular order):
All Quiet on the Western Front
Gettysburg
Saving Private Ryan
Dark Blue World
Das Boot
Platoon
Stalag 17
When Trumpets Fade
Blue Max
Paths of Glory
Patton
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Battle of Britain
Letters from Iwo Jima

Mini-series:
Band of Brothers
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell