Author Topic: I'll probably get some flak from this  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:24 AM »
You cant really win imo. Noe can be abit boring in the long run but then high alt incomming can pick alot easyer and imo its harder to up a defence against high alt pickers than the low alt hordes.

The major upside to the NOE raids is that when you spot it you can up at the field next door and have alt when you arrive at the attacked field. Then the defender becomes the picker, and those 110s are very nice targets :aok

Offline Cee64E

• Zinc Member
Re: I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 03:59:17 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
I know its standard op in the game to make missions for capture. Part of the game. I like joining missions. However theres one I dont like. Its this mission....
INCOMING!!!

The only historical reason for high alt missions of any kind was fuel related.  The planes had to get high to have the range to reach their targets.  History shows it was the best of a bad idea when you have 600 planes leave and 350 come back from a daylight raid.  It was so bad the brits wouldn't fly bombing missions in daylight.  NOE missions, for the short ranges we fly, make the most tactical sense.
And no, I am not interested in flying 6+ hours for one mission just to be historically accurate.  
I like the NOE missions because they are fun.  I've been on both sides of such missions and even when my tail gets shot off, I still have fun.  Thats what I pay for: Fun
R2, did we just blow up a gas station?

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 04:21:02 AM »
We tried NOE mossie raid once. After first pass in town, we were all burning.:D
I am a spy!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 04:31:07 AM »
Originally posted by CAP1
me personally, i'm with rich......and tallon....i like hi alt bombing raids......i go in and drop hangars, or whatever my squad needs me to hit, then loiter with my left overs, till thye need them...and i don't divebomb in lancs or 24's......:D

just my 2 cents......
Last week, they bypassed 4 surrounding fields and bombed a city.    NOE missions are just fine IMO.    I also hold the record for most Stuka's in a Mission.    

What is even more funny is that the Niki isn't needed.   I only need 4 110's and a goon.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 05:51:13 AM »
I like flying NOE. Most of all in mountainous terrain where its challenging. My favorite missions are base capture missions, in fact they are pretty much the only kind I will fly.

I know nobody here is putting down anyone elses flavor, all were doing is saying what we like. But Ive seen it before and in my own mind "its all good" and any mission anyone likes flying is cool with me.

Thing about NOE is your in the wind if you screw up just a bit. 100' off the ground, without much energy? The trick is teamwork and keeping that little darbar from popping on and off.

I like the guys who fly the Rook High Alt missions but for me? They are kinda boring. Tho like I said, its all good. One good thing is the Rooks are starting to get other mission makers to step up and lead.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 05:57:13 AM »

I propose DARBARS..if not dardots too, are shown on the map regardless the alt of the mission. Maybe it would make people go up in the air higher where enemys can be met..for combat. Give the enemy time to grab to defend. Things like that.

INCOMING!!!

I think if the radar minimum alt was actually lowered to 200 then many an NOE mission would have stuff popping in and out of radar.

Of course its always easier to run NOE over water so island heavy maps will see lots of this stuff
Ludere Vincere

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Filth, have you ever flown as a LW interceptor in a scenario or events?

I have.  Against some of Filth's B-17 missions in the AvA.

Lots of fun, I know what he's talking about.

- oldman

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »
I know its standard op in the game to make missions for capture. Part of the game. I like joining missions. However theres one I dont like. Its this mission.

110Gs
Nik
C47

NOE

Its just another tactic.......i dont see why people hate tactics.............

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »
NOE missions can be fun, particularly when they are run in response to a large horde on the other side. The 71st doesnt ever really do missions per se or roll bases regularly but when we get the itch we usually can roll bases with 3 or 4 guys. 2 sets of lancs a C hog and a goon can normally get the job done and so can a single fighter/goon on a V base.

The maps that segregate Vbase spawns from airfields greatly limit this however...

The real issue is the "go where thier not" and the "go with 10-1 odds" mentality thats more and more prevalent.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Re: Re: I'll probably get some flak from this
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »
Originally posted by bobtom
Its just another tactic.......i dont see why people hate tactics.............

Mainly because they (tactics) might require some additional effort to be combated (i.e. looking for signs of a NOE on the map).

I guess the next step would be to request that coad be written to detect a NOE mission and report it in pink text on 200.

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
After running alot of missions lately...I ditched the Mossies (they are flak magnets) and replaced the 110's with 190-A8's with 30mm.

NIK1s are fun....they have cannon and can take some ords.

Funny....some folks are making light of the Alliance Missions....it's amazing how they can't counter them.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 11:46:05 AM »
You don't even see an enemy in most of your missions, Rox. It's not a matter of "can't stop you"; you're steamrolling out-of-the-way fields on the big maps where no one sees you. There's a difference.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »
Originally posted by mipoikel
We tried NOE mossie raid once. After first pass in town, we were all burning.:D

They fixed that.  The Mossie doesn't burst into flame when looked at and is now actually one of the toughest twins.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 12:09:51 PM »
You don't even see an enemy in most of your missions, Rox. It's not a matter of "can't stop you"; you're steamrolling out-of-the-way fields on the big maps where no one sees you. There's a difference.

Now THAT is going to leave a mark.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »

Please come knight and join one.

We see PLENTY of enemy.

Seriously....join one....you will see how blind your post was.