Author Topic: Graphics Flashing off and on  (Read 1336 times)

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Graphics Flashing off and on
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
I've just completed a system upgrade and have a small problem.

M2N-SLI Asus board
AMD Dual Core 64x2 6000+ processor
2 gigs of DDR2-800 PC6400 CL4 memory.
Radeon HD 2600 XT 512 GGDR3

10mb broadband cable connection.

I've followed the tech support information and have the dual cores patched and updated, along with having followed Waffles video settings.

Some parts of the graphics flicker off and on. Most noticeable is the transition tiles, and the hangers while tanking off, as the view moves forward, the hangers appear and disappear, the transitions between tiles flicker  and flutter.

Please let me know if there is more information I can give you to perhaps discover what I have set incorrectly.

This is a full clean install of WinXP, fully updated and current.  There is nothing installed other than windows, and all the current drivers, there are no other accessories added to the system, it is purely the motherboard, memory and graphic card.  Bios flashed and current, latest radeon driver is installed and the original version on the installation CD did the same thing.

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
Re: Graphics Flashing off and on
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
Not sure what patch you used for your amd...but in the tutorial I think it's wrong.  The one in my thread in these forums is the optimizer.  Maybe you need both I don't know.  Skuzzy never elaborated for me so I have both installed.  Didn't fix my problem so I run the game in win98 compatibility mode. 
I know you said you looked at video settings info from someone on here, all I can say is I'm sure they are fine and well - but I always choose to set my card to DEFAULT and let the application take care of the settings.  Did you try the game prior to changing those settings? 

With new computer hardware comes new headaches.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »
Did you install DX9c? ( can't remember if AH2 does that automatically ).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
There are two patches involved in AMD dual core systemes.  One is the optimizer patch from AMD, and the other patch/hotfix is from Microsoft.  It does not hurt to install both.

I would recommned starting with everything at defaults ROC.  Then set the game to run in "Windows 98/ME" compatibiity mode and see what happens.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
Yes on the Dx9c, but that was a good suggestion :)  I almost forgot to double check the version last night.

Thanks Skuzzy, does the patch affect the graphics? It did take me a while, but after the patches I got the game to run, it was shutting down when I hit the clipboard.  The game runs the same whether I run compatibility mode or not. 

I'll fiddle with the graphics some more.  I've ran everything down to minimum and it still flutters.  No on board graphics card and this is the only pci express card I have, so I'll just have to get it working :)

Super fast system though, sure am enjoying it so far.
ROC

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »
Selected vertex processing and limited to 60 frames.  That worked.  Odd.  Small flutter at tile transitions, but I just turned off the optimize transition so it went away :)

Also, removed the factory drives, just let the windows update find and patch the card.

Stable now, future patches will probably clean things up by itself.

Side note, this card is Dx10 capable, but I refuse vista, can Dx10 run on winxp and this game?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:01:15 PM by ROC »
ROC

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »
No..DX10 is Vista only.

Good luck..

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 06:11:54 AM »
Selected vertex processing and limited to 60 frames.  That worked.  Odd.  Small flutter at tile transitions, but I just turned off the optimize transition so it went away :)

Also, removed the factory drives, just let the windows update find and patch the card.

Stable now, future patches will probably clean things up by itself.

Side note, this card is Dx10 capable, but I refuse vista, can Dx10 run on winxp and this game?

That is odd.  The behavior mimics a Vista based computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:26:58 AM »
Well it kept fluttering, graphics wouldn't hold.  I took the radeon card drivers from the original, and stepped up one version at a time and it still caused me to disconnect and graphics would fail.

I pulled the card and installed a geforce.  First time in 4 builds that I left Radeon, it was the card.

Graphics work well.  Still fine tuning the computer but I flew for a few hours last night, disco and reboot twice, but I think that is the HD Sound driver.
ROC