Author Topic: easy plane to land  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: easy plane to land
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »
Managed to do a perfect (by my standards) landing in an F4U1C today - as in all parts intact, on centreline etc.  I landed at a tiny bit above stalling speed, full flaps, and locked tailwheel ASAP.

As for easy planes to land, I'd say the A-20G/Boston III, and when you want a bit more of a challenge perhaps the P-47.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Spitfires, as their landing gear is so narrow.

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »
The Trimset command greatly increased my survivability during F4U landings.

:aok   what fuze said

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »
Practiced in wildcat for awhile to get the feel of things, now able to land the spitfire most of the time.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
Here's how I usually do it...

Come in to the base FAST... VERY FAST (Sometimes over 400!), and at about 2000' AGL.

When you're about a mile out, chop the throttle and give it FULL RIGHT RUDDER... also give it LEFT AILERON to compensate.  The plane will try to dip, but stick with it and keep it level.  Use ailerons and elevators to steer the plane to the runway... but don't let off the rudder, as the rudder will slow you down in a hurry!

Once your speed drops below 200, you can drop your landing gear.. don't worry about the groaning, crunching sounds!

At about 180, you can start giving it flaps.. once your first notch engages you can release the rudder, level it off and 'ride the runway'.  Once you have full flaps (about 140-150) you can ease it down onto the wheels and apply the wheel brakes.

If it looks like you are going to overshoot the runway, veer to the left side of the runway, give it full right rudder (and right wheel brake if you can)... the plane will spin sideways and rip off the wing, but you'll stop quick and about 90% of the time stay on the pavement.

If you have a little more room you can rock it left and right using rudder + wheel brake (reverse the rudder if it starts to tip over) and this will stop you very quickly as well.

This maneuver takes a lot of practice, but becomes second nature after awhile, and is very effective if you're in a hurry to land, or coming into a very HOT base!  I wouldn't recommend it if you're in a perked ride though.. it's just too risky!