Author Topic: When torturing is OK for feds shouldn't it be allowed for others too?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Re: When torturing is OK for feds shouldn't it be allowed for others too?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »
Where do we draw the final line on torture? 
Timed "Long Division tests that must show the work?".
Reruns of Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel?
LTARs taking base after base in GV's?

;)

Mac

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
Waterboarding is simulated drowning.  Its a close call for me but I'm going to allow it  :t
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Brownshirt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »
Well I've burnt skin with cigars so I'll allow it too. Also I've strangled a guy so he become unconsciousness, I see it wasn't torturing because of no lasting marks (except in that guys mind, you can bet your bellybutton for that...). I think I'd like to work for US government  :t

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »
Well I've burnt skin with cigars so I'll allow it too. Also I've strangled a guy so he become unconsciousness, I see it wasn't torturing because of no lasting marks (except in that guys mind, you can bet your bellybutton for that...). I think I'd like to work for US government  :t

Has Mr. Black returned?  :noid
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
mister black = brownstain?

whooda thunkt ;)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »
torture by governments is not acceptable.

On a personal level... It would be rarely acceptable.   It would have to be life or death.   that is not an acceptable reason for governments.

If I had to torture someone to say, save a loved one.  I would do it realizing that I would have to face a jury of my peers.  I would accept that going in.

For governments it is never acceptable as policy.  there can be no justification for a policy of torture.

lazs

The one constant we share consistantly, it seems.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »
When we start using tools like this on human beings I'll join your camp in this debate
(Image removed from quote.)

Firstly ... you really don't know we aren't already.

Secondly ... we already see the rationalization for it.

Thirdly ... that's how things "progress" to such. One small step at a time. You see, it's not really the rationalization that worries me as much as the eventuality that none will be needed one day and it's just accepted without a second thought. That's the death of the American dream. That second thought was one of our forefather's first.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »
Where do we draw the final line on torture? 

Though I know you were joking I can't resist the obvious answer.

It's not "on" it. It's before it.

Offline Regulator

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 06:41:52 PM »
Why was this thread started, does anyone really not understand the concepts?

Torturing okay for the Feds?  Is waterboarding really torture?  Is physical pain induced?  Sounds more like fear inducing and maybe discomfort, but not pain.  Is that really torture?  Does it compare with the techniques used by the Vietnamese at the Hanoi Hilton?   How about by the Koreans in the Korean war, or the Japanese in WW2? 

Why the "Feds"  can do it and not the everyday civilian?

Well, the "Feds" are trying to get important information from an enemy that has declared themselves to be our enemy and has killed American civilians and American servicemen and women, and our continuing their efforts to kill us.  How often does the average citizen need to do something like waterboarding to prevent large amounts of killing?   (Answer: Never)

Now, if the answer isn't apparent, then I can't help anyone grasp the obvious.

Carry on.

Offline Brownshirt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
Is waterboarding really torture?  Is physical pain induced?  Sounds more like fear inducing and maybe discomfort, but not pain.  Is that really torture?  Does it compare with the techniques used by the Vietnamese at the Hanoi Hilton?   How about by the Koreans in the Korean war, or the Japanese in WW2? 

It's not torturing if we do it, it's just way to gather information  :lol

btw I used cig butts on myself; we had a little competition. Sometimes being in the army was pretty boring... :aok

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
It's not torturing if we do it, it's just way to gather information  :lol

btw I used cig butts on myself; we had a little competition. Sometimes being in the army was pretty boring... :aok
yah cig butts, blow torch, we are JUST like them :uhoh
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
I believe there's no one here who wouldn't say yes to the most horrendous torture under the right conditions. For example, nukes are set to detonate and kill every last person in your country and one person has info that can prevent this. Who here would spare the electrodes? Examine yourself before casting stones.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 08:17:01 PM »
Does it compare with the techniques used by the Vietnamese at the Hanoi Hilton?   How about by the Koreans in the Korean war, or the Japanese in WW2? 

By the way .... this is the rationalization I was talking about. It's ok .... by degrees. And over time it gets more ok by more degrees. ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 08:19:19 PM »
I believe there's no one here who wouldn't say yes to the most horrendous torture under the right conditions. For example, nukes are set to detonate and kill every last person in your country and one person has info that can prevent this. Who here would spare the electrodes? Examine yourself before casting stones.

We're not talking scenarios or exceptions. We're talking standards. Go back to Lazs' post. As for stoning ... poor policies deserve a quicker death.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »
We're not talking scenarios or exceptions. We're talking standards. Go back to Lazs' post. As for stoning ... poor policies deserve a quicker death.

Standards in time of peace will differ from those in time of war. Just because you and I may be living a life of relative peace does not mean that war is not being waged upon western civilzation. When this war is brought to your neighborhood waterboarding may seem like an excessive kindness.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.