Author Topic: Lost Connection  (Read 418 times)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Lost Connection
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »
First, I know that this isn't in anyway related to AH, but something to do on my end, but I figured I try asking here for some information before I call my internet company.

I have dsl, and everytime the phone rings, or someone picks up the phone, I lose connection for about 30 seconds before it stabilizes itself.  That means if I was in the middle of loading a new internet page it "freezes" until the connection reistablishes itself and I click reset, or if I'm playing AH, I get lost UDP, and then a 20 seconds or so later, "Host Connectins Lost." 

I have dsl filters on all of my in use phone jacks, and have tried having a filter and not having a filter on the phone jack the modem plugs into.  I've had this problem with two different isp's (sonic and sbc), so I'm guessing that perhaps it's my wiring in my house...  Skuzzy, or someone else, know of any possible solutions?  I've tried talking to sbc, but they say it's wiring in my house, and their thoughts on helping me is sending a guy out for a few hundred dollars. 

I heard that you can basically do something were you split the phone line before it comes into the house, and run that directly to the modem with a filter on that.  Anyone know?

Anyways, I know this isn't AH's fault lol, so really I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I call my isp again.

Thanks
donkey
2sBlind

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lost Connection
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:51:12 PM »
It could be you have too many filters/devices or a bad filter. Have you checked ALL your filters? You might try isolating them by removing all devices except the dsl modem and one by one adding a device with a filter and testing in between by calling your number to see if it kicks the sync.

Also check inside for a wiring problem. Hopefully there aren't any staples involved. That sort of thing.

It's not likely that every filter would test bad unless there is some other problem. If so get a DSL splitter at the NID and run a direct line to the dsl modem.

About the time you find the actual problem you will discover that spending the money to have a professional do the work would have been cheaper. (Murphys Law)
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »
lol I'm sure it would be.

And sorry should have said.  I have tried isolating using my cell to call, but I'll try again.

Another thing.  My parents had an alarm system installed a few years ago, which apparently they might have run through the phone line for contacting us or w/e.  Any chances that could cause interference?  And would to many devices/filters really cause a problem?

Thanks
donkey
2sBlind

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:34:17 AM »
Yes and at this point the first thing I would check is the alarm. I mean 'have it checked' unless you understand those things.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:35:51 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:06:15 AM »
lol I'm sure it would be.

And sorry should have said.  I have tried isolating using my cell to call, but I'll try again.

Another thing.  My parents had an alarm system installed a few years ago, which apparently they might have run through the phone line for contacting us or w/e.  Any chances that could cause interference?  And would to many devices/filters really cause a problem?

Thanks
donkey

Yes, the alarm will cause problems and it needs to be filtered.  No, to many filters will not cause a problem.

Also, if your router is sitting on your computer try moving it.  Sometime the electrical field from the power supply will interfere with the DSL signal. This happens with older computers more then with newer ones.

Try running a speedtest and post the results. http://www.speedtest.net/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:44:46 AM by Wayout »
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline RAS

• Copper Member
      • http://flyingaces.bizland.com/54sq/main.htm
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
Donkey....did you notice a particular time frame you started having issues ?

I have been having terrible issues with disco's lately.  I did some researching and discovered from tour 84 through 93 (Jan 2007 - Oct 2007) I only got disconnected twice.  From Tour 94 through this tour (97) so far I have had 21 disco's.  Tour 94 and 95 being the "best" lately with only 5 total.  Tour 96 I had 8...Tour 97 so far I had 8.  It is getting to the point I think it is not even worth logging in. 

I have tried running without a firewall, with my firewall (with exceptions for AH only).  Have tried setting the open ports to be 2000-6000, etc. and can't figure it out.  I called my ISP to see if THEY changed something along bout November/December last year...they SAY no, but I gotta wonder unless something drastic has changed in AH along that same time frame.  I run a DSL line and have all phones and devices filtered, etc.  My DSL is hooked in through ethernet card, though along time ago I used to use the USB connection (didn't seem to have as many disco's, but I had them).

Does anyone know if I should reboot my machine after I turn "off" the firewall ?  I am not sure if maybe something is still hanging around in memory or what.  It lets me connect ok, so am thinking it is probably NOT related to the firewall.  But, I am open to any ideas here.

Am thinking it might be worth the money in long distance to call Skuzzy at Hitech and see if he has any input that might help.

hopefully frustrated,

RASCAL   :mad:

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 05:17:58 AM »
Donkey....did you notice a particular time frame you started having issues ?

I have been having terrible issues with disco's lately.  I did some researching and discovered from tour 84 through 93 (Jan 2007 - Oct 2007) I only got disconnected twice.  From Tour 94 through this tour (97) so far I have had 21 disco's.  Tour 94 and 95 being the "best" lately with only 5 total.  Tour 96 I had 8...Tour 97 so far I had 8.  It is getting to the point I think it is not even worth logging in. 

I have tried running without a firewall, with my firewall (with exceptions for AH only).  Have tried setting the open ports to be 2000-6000, etc. and can't figure it out.  I called my ISP to see if THEY changed something along bout November/December last year...they SAY no, but I gotta wonder unless something drastic has changed in AH along that same time frame.  I run a DSL line and have all phones and devices filtered, etc.  My DSL is hooked in through ethernet card, though along time ago I used to use the USB connection (didn't seem to have as many disco's, but I had them).

Does anyone know if I should reboot my machine after I turn "off" the firewall ?  I am not sure if maybe something is still hanging around in memory or what.  It lets me connect ok, so am thinking it is probably NOT related to the firewall.  But, I am open to any ideas here.

Am thinking it might be worth the money in long distance to call Skuzzy at Hitech and see if he has any input that might help.

hopefully frustrated,

RASCAL   :mad:

One of the easiest things to turn off (power down) all your computers, turn off (once again, power down) your router and let them sit for at least 5 minutes. Then turn on the router and let it sync up before turning on the computers one at a time. It's amazing how often this will fix disco's. Don't rush the 5 minutes, that's important.
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:49:22 AM »
Actually, generally resetting your routers with the button in the back will work (removing the AC for 30 sec will do the same thing) for fixing bad connections related to the router.

For some reason home routers (Linksys is the only one I've heard about, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of them did) attempt to maintain a connection for an absurd amount of time (in the order of days, sometimes over a week apparently). When you get things like P2P or torrents going, that might be 50 computers your router is trying to keep open. Resetting the router dumps that table and "freshens" your connection.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.