Author Topic: Possible corsair request  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Possible corsair request
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »
Few things I can add.

We (Our shop) know that many Corsairs served with ID numbers on their fuselage.  I have personally viewed several fuselages that had the remains of numbers.  I am not able to share the photos of these aircraft as we do not own the them or the rights to the photos.

The front quartering photo of L54 does not seem to be from a low enough to show whether it carried pylons or not.  Either way, pylons are easily added and removed.

I have seen the L54 color scheme somewhere else before.  I saw it as being ID'd with a squadron.  I'll look through some of the stuff I have this weekend to see if it was in my stuff.

One last thing, the gun ports are taped.  None of the training birds I have ever seen did not have the blast tubes taped.  Nor did they appear to have tape residue.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »
One other thing to add, unless they just painted the main gear doors, the bottom of the aircraft in the photos appears to be a light color.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2008, 04:37:42 PM »
Bodhi,

The doubleish-negative in your last paragraph of the first post threw me. Are you saying that taped gunports would have been a feature found in combat birds ONLY?

Regarding color, are you in agreement that she's probably sporting a tricolor scheme, and that the non-specular sea blue upper surfaces have faded to be very close to the int. blue flanks? Are you aware of any USN/MC 1A/C/D Corsairs that painted the undersides light, but were NOT tricolor?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
Bodhi,

The doubleish-negative in your last paragraph of the first post threw me. Are you saying that taped gunports would have been a feature found in combat birds ONLY?

Regarding color, are you in agreement that she's probably sporting a tricolor scheme, and that the non-specular sea blue upper surfaces have faded to be very close to the int. blue flanks? Are you aware of any USN/MC 1A/C/D Corsairs that painted the undersides light, but were NOT tricolor?

Saxman,
Regarding the taped ports:
My poor grammar aside, I was saying that the U Birds I have seen that were training birds did not have taped gun ports.  I am not sure if that applies to all of them or not, just on what I have seen.  It seemed to be more of a concern of individual crews to get one more advantage of removing the turbulence caused by the ports, and keeping their guns clean, so if not fired, they did not have to be removed and the bore cleaned.

Regarding Color:
Yes, I am in agreement with you that that is probably what happened.  BUT, I have seen photos of SNJ's in what appeared to be a two tone scheme, so who knows for sure.  Maybe they just faded too.  One thing is for certain, the sun in the southern latitudes would have blanched most everything exposed to it.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I figured there's no better way to get some of these questions answered than go to the source, so I tossed off an e-mail with everything that's been discussed and a link back to the thread to Rich Dann, to see if maybe he has access to some sort of insider information we're lacking.

For all we know, this could even have been the CAG's personal bird.

LOL I already did that as well yesterday. I didn't go into detail and his reply back was the two photos we have. I followed up with an in depth email, hope he doesn't get peeved...
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
Saxman,
Regarding the taped ports:
My poor grammar aside, I was saying that the U Birds I have seen that were training birds did not have taped gun ports.  I am not sure if that applies to all of them or not, just on what I have seen.  It seemed to be more of a concern of individual crews to get one more advantage of removing the turbulence caused by the ports, and keeping their guns clean, so if not fired, they did not have to be removed and the bore cleaned.

Corsair landing on USS Wolverine training "Carrier" in Lake Michigan.

http://collections.naval.aviation.museum/emuwebdoncoms/pages/common/imagedisplay.php?irn=28209&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=18861

Other photos from the same source indicate that the corsairs of training commands had letters and numbers such as "F54".
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »
vmf312
this is what i was working on
[/img]
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »
I doubt that CVE's had CAGs.  They were combined squadrons of all types.  Hence "VC" in lieu of "VF", "VT" or "VB".
I think they were called CVAGs instead of CAGs when more than just a single CVF squadron was aboard. My uncle was CVAG-35 and CVAG-35/CVF-35 on CVE-28 prior to becoming CAG on the Lexington (CV-16).

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
Heard back from Rich Dann, and he concurs that at the very least, the underside is whte. He didn't say anything about other identifying informations such as BuNo's or squadron assignment. I asked for a follow up on those two points.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »

http://collections.naval.aviation.museum/emuwebdoncoms/pages/common/imagedisplay.php?irn=28209&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=18861

Other photos from the same source indicate that the corsairs of training commands had letters and numbers such as "F54".

Taped gun ports on that one too it appears.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »

I know what the title says, but are they 100% sure that the aircraft in question is actually a training bird?

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »
Fencer

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
I don't know either Fencer.  Too hard for me to tell, as I am definitely not an expert on the codes they used in the day on Naval Aircraft.

The deck in the first pic could easily be any carrier as far as I am concerned....

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »
Well the fact they have a date would tend to make me believe it is from their collection and they know where the film came from.  It is similar to the other items they have from the Wolverine.  So I would say it is authentic.  The deck bit was a joke to show the ship.
Fencer

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
Incidentally, heard back again from Rich Dann, and he doesn't have any squadron information, or a BuNo. on F54.