Author Topic: Chevy Colorado  (Read 255 times)

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Chevy Colorado
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:27:01 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado to replace my S-10.  The new Colorado comes in two varieties, a four-cylinder 185hp version and a five-cylinder 220hp version.  As of right now, my 6-cylinder S-10 only has 180hp.  My question is, would the 4-cyl Colorado be able to pull a boat? 

If you know anything about the Colorado, feel free to post.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Re: Chevy Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:39:31 AM »
I'd never go with a 4 cylinder engine, you turn the a/c on and you can feel the drop in power.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:43:40 AM »
Well, first off you need to define "boat".  There's "boats" and then there's "BOATS".

As a rule of thumb, it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need.

No replacement for displacement.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:49:01 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado to replace my S-10.  The new Colorado comes in two varieties, a four-cylinder 185hp version and a five-cylinder 220hp version.  As of right now, my 6-cylinder S-10 only has 180hp.  My question is, would the 4-cyl Colorado be able to pull a boat? 

If you know anything about the Colorado, feel free to post.

Hmm...a five-cylinder? New one for GM. Heard that BMW or Mercedes had one at one time.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:49:12 AM »
So wait a second here.  This four cylinder Colorado engine is producing more horsepower than my six cylinder S-10 engine.  The four cylinder is 2.9 liters, my six is 4.3 liters.  You get five more horsepower from the smaller engine.

By boat, I mean a 19 foot Rinker Fish and Ski.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:53:14 AM »
So wait a second here.  This four cylinder Colorado engine is producing more horsepower than my six cylinder S-10 engine.  The four cylinder is 2.9 liters, my six is 4.3 liters.  You get five more horsepower from the smaller engine.

By boat, I mean a 19 foot Rinker Fish and Ski.
Torque  gets that bugger rolling. That 4 banger will develop 185 hp but how much torgue does it produce?
Save yourself trans/clutch headaches, get the 6.
See Rule #4

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 05:02:48 AM »
It has 195ft/lbs of torque.  I don't see how driving a vehicle with less torque is going to damage the transmission. If anything, I think it would be easier on the transmission, right?

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:09:16 AM »
Torque gets you going.  It's what pulls stumps out of the ground.  If it strains pulling that boat it's going to take it out on the tranny, savvy?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:10:33 AM »
It's best to check out how much the Colorado is rated to tow with both engines, then check the weight of your boat. You might need to look at something else if the towing capacity isn't high enough. If you're going to be towing, I'd go with the larger engine for sure. As Diablo said, there's no replacement for displacement.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 05:22:09 AM »
Maximum trailering weight is 5500 lbs.

Max combo weight is 9000 lbs.