Author Topic: Vast Cheating in India  (Read 474 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Vast Cheating in India
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »
If you do searches for academic cheating from India to China, it's epidemic for Universities. So whats the real caliber of asian engineers Bill Gates is screaming at Congress for in the H1 visas?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE0DC1F3AF931A35752C0A966958260

Vast Cheating Forces Many in India to Retake Scholastic Test

Yahoo! Buzz

By BARBARA CROSSETTE, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: January 2, 1990
LEAD: Thousands of Indian students hoping to enter American colleges will have to retake the Graduate Record Examinations and English-language proficiency tests in January, because copies of the tests were widely sold before the tests were taken.

Thousands of Indian students hoping to enter American colleges will have to retake the Graduate Record Examinations and English-language proficiency tests in January, because copies of the tests were widely sold before the tests were taken.

The cheating case may be the biggest incident of fraud ever experienced by the the world's largest private scholastic testing company, copies of two examinations were sold widely in India in the last quarter of this year.

A spokesman for the Educational Testing Service, a company in Princeton, N.J., whose examinations are given in 170 countries, said scores for an Oct. 14 sitting of the Graduate Record Examination had to be canceled at 17 of 27 test centers in India, affecting 2,744 students.

The Dec. 9 test was postponed all over India.

Other Results Annulled

In addition, 620 students who took the Test of English as a Foreign Language in five centers around the southern Indian city of Bangalore on Oct. 28 had their test results annulled.

The tests are administered in India by the Institute for Psychological and Educational Measurement, an independent, nonprofit Indian organization based in Allahabad In an interview Thursday by telephone, the institute's director, S. K. V. Liddle, said he had not independently investigated how the Princeton tests came to be marketed around India in advance of testing dates. No criminal action has been taken and no new safeguards have been introduced.

Ray Nicosia, an Educational Testing Service spokesman in Princeton, said by telephone Thursday that two staff members had spent three weeks in India recently and that the information they collected was ''instrumental'' in the testing service's decision to cancel the results.

For Sale at Most Centers

Mr. Nicosia said the team had confirmed that the tests were available for sale at almost two-thirds of the test center locations in India. Indian students taking both the graduate aptitude tests and the English-proficiency tests volunteered information on the availability of the papers, he said.

Of the 366,000 students worldwide who take the Graduate Record Examination, about 14,000 are Indian. More than 21,500 Indian students take the English-language test, out of 500,000 or so all over the world.

Over the last decade, American universities and colleges have become the first choice of most Indian students able to study abroad, surpassing British universities, which have become more expensive for foreigners. Thousands of Indians apply annually to American graduate schools, most of which require that foreigners take the Graduate Record Examination, especially those seeking scholarship aid.

More than 3,000 American schools require that foreign applicants pass the English-language examination, according to the Educational Testing Service.

A Matter of Integrity

Mr. Nicosia said there had been no discussion of dropping the service's association with the Indian Institute of Psychological and Educational Measurement.

But in a statement this month, Charlotte Kuh, executive director of graduate record programs at the Princeton center, said of the Oct. 14 experience that 'the G.R.E. test cannot be confirmed as being a secure exam in India, hence the postponement.'

She said the service had received ''a significant amount of correspondence from test center supervisors and test-takers'' about the illegal circulation of test papers in India.

'The cancellation of scores is an inconvenience to the innocent students,' Ms. Kuh said. ''However, it is critical to the integrity of the test that E.T.S. stand behind each score as a valid indication of students' developed abilities.''

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Re: Vast Cheating in India
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:01 PM »
Not just there.  U of H here is full of foreign students and is rife with cheating that everyone apparently turns the other cheek to.  I've heard it's rampant in the engineering courses the most.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »
Thats pretty interesting.

I've done alot of work for Indians. Here they are typically all about schooling.
I've seen many that rarely even get to go out and play like regular kids.
they go to school. come home then more home schooling.

Come to think of it. I've seen very few of them actually playing
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 06:38:54 AM »
to cheat (and learn to get away with it) is just part of the educational process isn't it?

isn't "higher" education suppose to prepare one for the "real" world?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:35 AM »
If you do searches for academic cheating from India to China, it's epidemic for Universities. So whats the real caliber of asian engineers Bill Gates is screaming at Congress for in the H1 visas?

I work with about 10 Indian PhDs (out of 80 in my organization) and all of them went to college in the U.S. I additionally work with 2 Korean PhDs and 4 Chinese PhDs (Taiwan, not the mainland and we are not allowed to hire from China proper for hi-tech jobs in the U.S. I don't think Microsoft has the same restrictions but they might). Out of 80 PhDs in our group, aproximately 50% are foreign born with every single one attending a U.S. college. Probably 50-60% of the grad students in engineering, physics and chemistry are foreigners. It has nothing to do with grants, scholarships or opportunities. Most foreign students attending college in the U.S. are just more motivated.

There is no difference in the intelligence distribution of these individuals as compared to their U.S. born counterparts. Intel does not hire foreigners because they can pay them less (and I guarantee they are not paid less at Intel). Intel hires them because there are not enough U.S. born people qualified for the job. From what I hear from the white PhDs, this is a trend that will continue sliding as fewer U.S. born citizens continue on in college.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 07:42:07 AM by Mini D »