Author Topic: When is a HO not a HO?  (Read 2471 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Re: When is a HO not a HO?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:44 AM »
Because there's nothing stupid about ignoring a cheap easy shot when you can let the fight go on to something better.  You're wrong because a lot of players do it in the MA. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in events too.

It's also one of the best places to be for a reverse.. It's one of the shortest points to get to someone's six from.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
I think we need a professionals input on Hos.... someone get Eliot Spitzer on the phone.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »
Who's worked up?  Can people not discuss a topic without punks like you coming in here and calling them whiners?  I haven't seen a whine in this thread yet.  Did you stop to think that maybe some play this game to fight, and not to just randomly fly around shooting people in the face like it was some nintendo game?  Why must you come in this thread and "attempt" to act like you hold a more mature perception of this game than others?   :rolleyes:

Sit down!

Punk? LOL....From a guy who continually acts like an internet tough guy, calling me names...LOL, classic. Based on your actions in this game, YES I am way more mature than you. But that's a whole other topic and not relevant at this time. :) Never said this thread was a whine? or the poster was whining, or anyone in this thread was. I'm talking about while in the game whining when they die. I can't view the pics at work, I was basing my reply on his text. The way I read it, I was assuming the guy he killed stated to him he HO'd him. and his pics (if I could view them) shows he didn't. My statement just says I can understand being frustrated at some flying technics of some in the game, but i am not going to get worked up by it. And don't understand why some others do. Anyway I don't have time to explain my post word for word for you, apperantly your mind read it differently than I intended. If AKAK post was not to show some guy that was whining to him about Hoing him and he is showing it wasn't a HO. Then I stand corrected, and learned that next time I will view the pics along with the text he wrote, pryor to posting a reply.

Have a nice day mark :rolleyes:
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Because there's nothing stupid about ignoring a cheap easy shot when you can let the fight go on to something better.  You're wrong because a lot of players do it in the MA. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in events too.

It's also one of the best places to be for a reverse.. It's one of the shortest points to get to someone's six from.

Uh oh... well, each to his own :)
But if I see someone coming straight at me and I decide not to dodge or evade before coming to shooting distance, I, for sure, never expect the other guy to come in cold. If he points his guns at me I ALWAYS expect him to shoot.

I would feel very silly and embarrassed if I was shot down "because I didnt think he would open fire".

That "something better" pilot s**t is always better taken to DA, where it is more appreciated. For some all those fancy moves hey can show is what they play for, for others the fancy moves are used only when they have put themselves into a position where they are required.

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »
Repeat after me..."it's only a game, it's only a game, it's only a game..to those that think otherwise..tsk, tsk, shame on y'all. :D

Rule #1. If ya have a shot..take it

Rule #2  Goto rule # 1

dentin ;)
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
I think we need a professionals input on Hos.... someone get Eliot Spitzer on the phone.

haha, good one
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 12:13:27 PM »
I try to avoid the HO in the MA.  I do this because I don't want to a faceful of 'vitural' lead and I don't want to collide and have the fight end there.  That being said, I will take the HO if the situation presents itself.  I hate them and will blurt out on 200 when someone clearly took the HO when they could have maneuvered for something else.  They usually end in collisions or two wrecked planes.  However, there are times I will take them:

A) If it is a furball and the HO is the resolution I have
B) If outnumbered and the HO is the resolution I have
C) If the enemy a/c is maneuvering for the HO shot and no time to evade
D) If I try to evade, but I see he is still going to get a HO shot

I am not an elite "Dogfighter".  I am improving and always looking to improve, but I guess I am just not at that uber level yet where I can sit on the mountain and tell everyone else how they are doing it wrong.  I have had a lot of success in my ACM lately and for that I am thankful.  However, I think a HO, cheap or not, is not as much a part of ACM or 'newbness' as it is a guns resolution situation.  People take it, not by accident, but because the want it.  I have had vets take it and the two-weekers alike.  The time I think it is exceptionally dweebish is when the guy starts at like 3K out and maintains that steady HO orientation all the way in.  Kind of like suicide buff in that regard.  However, in any other situation, it just is what it is.

When I am out flying, my goal is to kill the other guy and make it back to land.  To do that I will proudly and without hesitation take the shot I have.  If all I am going to get is the other pilots face, then so be it.  I try to avoid it, but there are just times you can't.

Your sense of nobility may vary...
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
....From a guy who continually acts like an internet tough guy, calling me names...
I am an internet tough guy!  :aok

YES I am way more mature than you.

Negative!  Not that I strive to be "mature" playing shoot'em up cartoon airplanes. :rolleyes:

Have a nice day mark :rolleyes:

U 2 :rolleyes:

:rock
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:20:35 PM by SkyRock »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 12:27:37 PM »
Blauk and Dentin.. It is a game, and I'd rather have fun than not.  Doing the same fights over and over is boring, not fun.  Not taking advantage of an opportunity for an even, drawn out fight is what's stupid in my point of view, because those opportunities are dwarved by the retarded acm, ganging hordes, etc.
Saying good fights like those are exageratedly "fancy" is like saying eloquence is ghey, lol-speak better.  Anything more than ultra-timid BNZ could be said to be "fancy", cause that's all you need for a kill.

And I do get shot down every now and then in HOs like that, where I mistake a HO for a cold merge.. It's alright, it's worth the risk.  I certainly wouldn't "feel embarassed", since like Dentin said "it's just a game".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:31:00 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »
Impossible title.
A HO is always a HO. If the situation is not a HO then it is not a HO.

No-one ever gets HO'ed, they HO themselves... both pilots have to HO to make it a HO.

Nothing bad in HO, one only risks it all. It is like "all in" in Texas hold'em. It is like a wild west shoot-out..... would one whine about HO there: "You dweeb, why did you shoot face to face, why didn't you sneak around and shoot me in the back?" :devil

I sometimes HO, even though my goal is to land kills. Sometimes the situation simply leads to HO.

Everyone, quit finally whining about HO:s  :rock
Ah! So many Ho's!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Spazzter

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
I won't say any names, but I was fighting a 38 the other day in a 38.  Cold merge, he saved all his E and went for the double, I angled and reacted, we met at the top of the second.  I could see that we were going to collide nose to nose, even though he was about 80 feet above me as he came over the top before I did, as I had saved my last bit of E to pass and fall over him as he went by.  But, our paths were bringing us to a nose to nose collision.  So, I nosed down a bit so we wouldn't collide, and he shot the smack out of me from about 20 feet above me into my canopy and right wing.  Immediately, he said he had a nice canopy shot.  Now, so if someone is constantly pushing(the get around before he does and shoot front quarter first) type of fight, then they have parts of their acm that need work.  I fight great sticks everyday and many are my friends, there has never been a fight between that group, where a HO/high deflection shot, had to be taken for someone to win.  Most all end in someone getting shot from dead  six.  No matter if the pilots are of equal skill, eventually, a 6 shot will be gained(or a shot that is from behind the 3/9) if they fight long enough.  Now I understand that in the MA sometimes you need to kill the guy quick, but there is a "breed" of pilot out there that thinks (in their own mind), that getting around quick is something that they only know.  They are nervous and trigger happy and instead of getting a truly great experience out of completely owning and outflying the other guy, they would just settle on some (toenail hair front quarter high deflection) shot and argue about it not being a HO.    :rolleyes:

This smells of an ACK-ACK SMACK.  Maybe we can see this deteriorate to another meet you in the DA thread.  I am waiting with great anticipation.

Spazz

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
Blauk and Dentin.. It is a game, and I'd rather have fun than not.

I certainly wouldn't "feel embarassed", since like Dentin said "it's just a game".

I bet we all rather have fun than not, but everyone's fun is different. It is of no use to whine and accuse others of them ruining my fun, but still people keep on whining about HO:s among various other things. The FUN usually depend on one himself, not on others' actions. Maybe some actually have fun by whining, I would not know. I never tune on ch 200.

Like I said previously, my fun comes from landing kills (and from co-operating and communicatin with my countrymen). I don't need fancy fights for that, even though I get them (and trouble) often enough since I usually go after big dar bars.

I am perfectly ok with anyone taking HO:s. I just dont get those who whine abot it. If/when one gets shot down, he should either shut up or give <S>. Whining when shot down is the ultimate defeat.... "crybabies", will all others think of them.

I take HO:s in some situations, but I agree that it is not healthy or sensible in the long run. Those who can think or perform nothing else that HO:s I pity. They'll learn after some time or they'll get bored and leave the game. Either way, they are just a minor suicidal nuisance which is easy to deal with. Either avoid or/and kill them.

With "embarrased" in this context, I would mean "ooops, what a stupid mistake/move/overshot etc. I made.... I'll never do that again.... until next time". Nothing more serious :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »
This smells of an ACK-ACK SMACK.  Maybe we can see this deteriorate to another meet you in the DA thread.  I am waiting with great anticipation.

Spazz

Nope, wasn't I in the P-38, nice try though.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »

Spazz
Nope, last time I met AKAK was in mid-war my hog gainst his 38, freat E fight, that turned into a stall fight, and I got lucky shot on his way back up and over.  Very good fight.

I won't say the person's name because it wouldn't matter either way.  I'll put it to you like this, out of 6 fights, he won 3, I won zero.  The other 3 was a collision, a Ho, and an snapstall auger otd.  The 3 he won were the most boring, e-milking, rope attempt, ending in lame-luftberry fights Ive had, since the last time I fought his last shade!  He asked the rules, I called no- Hoing, an otd alt, and he climbed to 5k ......then said oops I'm at 5k, I said I'll climb, then Ho'd me.  Too bad I didn't remember right then who it was, I'd have just logged and saved myself the bore!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:53:37 PM by SkyRock »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"