Author Topic: Distance/time to get a kill..  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Distance/time to get a kill..
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
how far away can an enemy that you shot be, and die and you still get credit?

reason for asking being that I shot a 234 in my 190.. but he got my engine with his butt gun, so I glided back to base and sat on the runway...

he was dead stick doing 200mph headed out over the ocean at about 3,000 feet.. about 1.5 sectors away from his nearest possible landing point.. I watched his dot on radar moving painfully slow before id disappeared (below 300ft)

sat on the runway for a while waiting for him to EF.. nothing.. had a squaddie go look for him... couldent find him..  sat a while longer.. nothing..

finally towered out after 20 min.

is there a set distance or time limit on when your eligable to get a kill..

I though that if you pinged someone.. and they bailed, ditched or crashed before you landed/ditched/crashed.. you would get credit (kill/assist)  but this doesent seem to be the case, not with the 234 at least..

can anyone clear this up?

Offline Hoagi

• Zinc Member
Re: Distance/time to get a kill..
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:57:33 PM »
He probably got into friendly airspace and got a ditch. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »
Once you have pinged him, you will get credit for assist/kill if your enemy dies, regardless of distance.

In this case however, your enemy may just have ditched. No credit in such a case.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »
sat on the runway for a while waiting for him to EF.. nothing.. had a squaddie go look for him... couldent find him..  sat a while longer.. nothing..

finally towered out after 20 min.

:rofl

You were idling there 20 min? ROFL In that time you could get few more kills...

What's the matter with people?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
:rofl
What's the matter with people?

They expect their kills to be served on a silver platter. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:24:37 PM »

They expect their kills to be served on a silver platter. 

ack-ack
Although I agree with bighorn and Ack-Ack, I did chuckle a bit when he said the 234 got his engine with his "butt gun"  :)

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:24:45 PM »
2bighorn.

Some people can hammer out 3-6 kills in a single flight, while others fly for a week and get not a single landed kill.
This is truth, so understand it may just be another "kill" to you and i, for him, it may be a reason to keep playin' the game.

Not everyone is the best stick, if he wanted the credit he had every right to stay there, and honestly..if i saw it i would have fallowed his orders to investigate his kill.
More likely then not, the pilot sat his bird down in the water, out of his space and your's
Hance no one got the kill, because it was a ditch in "international ;) waters"

Right wrong or indiffrent, i have set on the runway meny a time waiting for those kills, lucky for me, they came.
But i have also landed, and taken off "only to get assist/kills" from people i banged up the flight before.
it all just depends who hits the ground first, and whos "spawned" when your kills hit the ground.
If your in tower, and two planes finaly crash get shot down or auger in, you wont get the kills.
But even if you land, re-up you will.

And im spent.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Some people can hammer out 3-6 kills in a single flight, while others fly for a week and get not a single landed kill.
This is truth, so understand it may just be another "kill" to you and i, for him, it may be a reason to keep playin' the game.

Sitting on the runway won't make him better.

he had every right to stay there

Well, there's no law against farting in restaurant either, yet...

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »
...In this case however, your enemy may just have ditched. No credit in such a case.
answer given, thread finished :aok

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »
LOL..

im not exactly a "bad stick"

pretty damn good actually if I do say so myself, I have no problem whatsoever "hammering out kills"

I figured since he was dead stick, and I was dead stick.. I would just wait a few, might aswell get the kill after chasing the bastard around for so long and getting butt gunned..

the extended length of my runway stay was not me just sitting there glaring at the screen yelling "cmon.. cmon dammit. cmon!"  I landed, and went and started a load of laundry, and put some steaks out to unthaw, came back.. and exited..

SO the answer to my question is..

you get the kill if

A: he died/bails
B: ditches in hostile territory.. 

you DO not get a kill if

A: he ditches in friendly territory.

so.. what is the deciding factor of the location of the ditch being friendly or hostile?

distance from nearest friendly airfield? distance from nearest con?  etc etc

as so often, an answer creates another question
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:58:25 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
2bighorn.

Not everyone is the best stick, if he wanted the credit he had every right to stay there, and honestly..if i saw it i would have fallowed his orders to investigate his kill.
More likely then not, the pilot sat his bird down in the water, out of his space and your's
Hance no one got the kill, because it was a ditch in "international ;) waters"

Right wrong or indiffrent, i have set on the runway meny a time waiting for those kills, lucky for me, they came.
But i have also landed, and taken off "only to get assist/kills" from people i banged up the flight before.
it all just depends who hits the ground first, and whos "spawned" when your kills hit the ground.
If your in tower, and two planes finaly crash get shot down or auger in, you wont get the kills.
But even if you land, re-up you will.

And im spent.

There is a lot of sense in that post which all too often i don't even consider when playing.  Some of us have been here too long to appreciate what it is like for a new guy to get a kill.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 03:08:43 PM »
There is a lot of sense in that post which all too often i don't even consider when playing.  Some of us have been here too long to appreciate what it is like for a new guy to get a kill.

True, but on the other side, sitting on the runway for extended period of time, just to get that kill, equals to those jobless people leeching off of welfare instead of looking for a job.

As in life, initiative means a lot in this game. Whether vet, or just inexperienced two weeker, more likely then not, kills come with effort.

Anyways, Wingnutt explained those 20 minutes (laundry, steaks), so he's OK  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
Doesn't matter if he ditched or not, if rounds hit him, it should have been a kill.

Unless he wasn't deadstick. Just because oil comes from the engines doesn't mean they have stopped functioning. He could have simply left your dar ring. 1.5 sectors is within limping home range for many planes, and chances are he just simply made it back and landed.

The other alternative is that he ditched too, and sat there longer than you did. You towered out first.

I wouldn't suggest sitting on the runway that long. Either you got the kill or he got away. Once he's out of the sector you've lost your shot. The kill message at that point is shallow. Heck I might like the pleasant surprise, but I'm not going to sit there more than 5-10 minutes, and only if I know I critically damaged the bombers I just attacked (i.e. waiting for them to die).

Other than that, just tower. He got away.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »
Doesn't matter if he ditched or not, if rounds hit him, it should have been a kill.

Unless he wasn't deadstick. Just because oil comes from the engines doesn't mean they have stopped functioning. He could have simply left your dar ring. 1.5 sectors is within limping home range for many planes, and chances are he just simply made it back and landed.

The other alternative is that he ditched too, and sat there longer than you did. You towered out first.

I wouldn't suggest sitting on the runway that long. Either you got the kill or he got away. Once he's out of the sector you've lost your shot. The kill message at that point is shallow. Heck I might like the pleasant surprise, but I'm not going to sit there more than 5-10 minutes, and only if I know I critically damaged the bombers I just attacked (i.e. waiting for them to die).

Other than that, just tower. He got away.

he was for sure dead stick. either from engine damage or the fuel leak.. in retrospect I think he ran out of fuel, after I did the initial damage.. a smoking engine and a fuel leak.. I chased him ,with him slowly pulling away.. until abruptly I started gaining FAST.. when I caught him he was doing well under 300, even 1 engine would have kept his speed up better than that, he lost too much speed too quickly to have been on 1 engine..

in the film viewer.. his gauges are blank  :( and there is no sound, but I can be fairly sure, based on the fact that he was so slow and in a shallow dive no less, that he was without and sort of power whatsoever..

I guess he could have shut off his engines.. but this makes no sense considering at the time I had no damage and was pressing the attack...

maybe he will read this and post his film..

I have horrible luck with 234s :furious

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 04:10:59 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
As general FYI only your instruments will display, never another plane's.

In a 262 it's hard to keep even 300mph with 1 engine dead. You slow down and become totally vulnerable. I think you would hear it in the film viewer, though, so you may be right.

He may have glided, he may have been on auto afk or something, and glided into a ditch, and sat there. You probably just towered before he did.

IMO, you don't see him die, don't assume he will ;)

I've made it back with impossible damage several times m'self  :D