Author Topic: Distance/time to get a kill..  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Distance/time to get a kill..
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
As general FYI only your instruments will display, never another plane's.

In a 262 it's hard to keep even 300mph with 1 engine dead. You slow down and become totally vulnerable. I think you would hear it in the film viewer, though, so you may be right.

He may have glided, he may have been on auto afk or something, and glided into a ditch, and sat there. You probably just towered before he did.

IMO, you don't see him die, don't assume he will ;)

I've made it back with impossible damage several times m'self  :D

Yea, im usually not so obsessed.. but every time I seem to come across a 234 in a "cant go wrong" situation.. it does..  lets see.. ive lost a 262 to the butt guns, if fired over 2000 rounds from a jug into a formation.. giving ALL of them smoking engines and fuel leaks, only to be ammo dry with nothing to show for it..  now this..

234s have a stigma for me..  they must all die, at any cost..

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »
Doesn't matter if he ditched or not, if rounds hit him, it should have been a kill.

Wrong.  That's not the way the game works.

As long as he didn't bail or die no kill will be awarded. 

A ditch is never a death.  In fact, as far as K/D goes a ditch is considered a landing.  If you are in friendly territory you can ditch 12' in front of a guy who just pinged the cr*p out of you and get a succesful ditch.  I've done it and had it done to me often enough to know.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
Ditch is above death but below "safe landing" -- it's 0.75 perk multiplier I believe (safe landing being 1.0, death being 0.5).

Also, ditches count as "deaths" in score counting. Check it out on the scores page. It lists ditches, bails, deaths, as similar categories.

I have shot some folks up and they ditched, but this is usually only over their own field. Never out between fields.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »

he was for sure dead stick. either from engine damage or the fuel leak.. in retrospect I think he ran out of fuel, after I did the initial damage.. a smoking engine and a fuel leak.. I chased him ,with him slowly pulling away.. until abruptly I started gaining FAST.. when I caught him he was doing well under 300, even 1 engine would have kept his speed up better than that, he lost too much speed too quickly to have been on 1 engine..

in the film viewer.. his gauges are blank  :( and there is no sound, but I can be fairly sure, based on the fact that he was so slow and in a shallow dive no less, that he was without and sort of power whatsoever..

I guess he could have shut off his engines.. but this makes no sense considering at the time I had no damage and was pressing the attack...

maybe he will read this and post his film..

I have horrible luck with 234s :furious

Sounds more like he chopped throttle seeing you on his "dead" six so he could that shot on you from his fixxed tailgun. Successfully it sounds like.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 05:01:21 PM by GooseAW »

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »
Sounds more like he chopped throttle seeing you on his "dead" six so he could that shot on you from his fixxed tailgun. Successfully it sounds like.

so he chopped throttel 6.0 out and leaving me.. so I could close the gap and shoot him up?

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
I think the arena settings limit bullet damage after 3000 meters, could be wrong though.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 07:30:24 PM »
Although I agree with bighorn and Ack-Ack, I did chuckle a bit when he said the 234 got his engine with his "butt gun"  :)

Estes i see by your avatar your an inker like me?  well as long as thats you in your avatar.
if so good to meet ya.
ive been slinging ink since 1988, you?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 07:59:34 PM »
Even if you shoot his engines and manage to get both smoking he can still make it 3-4 sectors.

How do you know he was dead stick? IMHO this assumption is wrong. AR234s have more than 1 fuel tank and I rarely see an outright engine kill in a jet, perhaps maybe 1 in 10.

From what youve told me this is what I think happenedafter you two shoot it out. He kills your engine and you pork a tank while getting oils hits on both of his engines. If he is smart he shuts down 1 engine right away and increased his range perhaps 2.5 to 3.0 times the amount with both engines running. Krusty is correct in saying that with only one engine he is down to around 300 mph. On radar this looks marginally faster than a bomber which would appear painfully slow. One thng to consider his if you both were deadstick why did it take so long for him to drop below 200 feet? This is when most likely started a gentle descent to increase is airspeed and become a less visible target.

IMHO he landed safe and sound on his own base.

Ive flown 5 sectors getting oil hit in both engines at altitude in a 234 by a poni. They glide very well compared to some of the prop planes.

Strip(er)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
I think Baldeagl is right and Krusty is wrong.

Ditches DO NOT count against your K/D.  I have no idea with respect to kill multiplier.

If a guy ditches a certain distance from you, you get the kill, if far from you, you don't get the kill.  What is that distance?

Is it that a ditch in friendly territory=no kill, ditch in enemy territory=kill?  ie. if you get a successful ditch there is no kill awarded, if you get a 'captured' then someone gets the kill?  I think this is the case.

I banged an enemy plane HARD one night, he was definately going down, and I never got the kill or assist.  I'm positive he didn't RTB.  We were right near his town.  I think that was a ditch that didn't award me the kill.

Finally, despite the detour, no worries on waiting on the kill.  I've done it too, but only when I had some other compelling reason to hang around (ie. beer run, pee break, etc).
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »
im not exactly a "bad stick"

pretty damn good actually if I do say so myself, I have no problem whatsoever "hammering out kills"

+

sat on the runway for a while waiting for him to EF.. nothing.. had a squaddie go look for him... couldent find him..  sat a while longer.. nothing..

finally towered out after 20 min.

=

You're giving yourself too much credit. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »
Even if you shoot his engines and manage to get both smoking he can still make it 3-4 sectors.

How do you know he was dead stick? IMHO this assumption is wrong. AR234s have more than 1 fuel tank and I rarely see an outright engine kill in a jet, perhaps maybe 1 in 10.

From what youve told me this is what I think happenedafter you two shoot it out. He kills your engine and you pork a tank while getting oils hits on both of his engines. If he is smart he shuts down 1 engine right away and increased his range perhaps 2.5 to 3.0 times the amount with both engines running. Krusty is correct in saying that with only one engine he is down to around 300 mph. On radar this looks marginally faster than a bomber which would appear painfully slow. One thng to consider his if you both were deadstick why did it take so long for him to drop below 200 feet? This is when most likely started a gentle descent to increase is airspeed and become a less visible target.

IMHO he landed safe and sound on his own base.

Ive flown 5 sectors getting oil hit in both engines at altitude in a 234 by a poni. They glide very well compared to some of the prop planes.

Strip(er)

well after damaging him, he did fly 3 or 4 sectors, making a looong loop, with me chasing him, all the while him pulling from D800 to 6.0 out (me in a D9) then (as I expected) I started to gain on him VERY rapidly.

also, i watched the film in the viewer.. he had NO power.. he had to maintain a shallow dive to stay around 250..

at only 3k alt and 250mph, I dont car how well you glide, your not going to make it THAT far back.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 08:55:57 PM »
+

=

You're giving yourself too much credit. 

:lol

you even read all the posts?, apparently not.

1: I do quite well in a fighter, very well considering ive only been flying a few tours.

2: I only sat for so long because frankly I had nothing better to do..

Orange was full and there were a wopping 20 people in blue..

so I landed, and did a few hosue errands while a squaddie went looking for the stricken 234..

any other time, this would probably not have transpired.. but considering the slim pickings at the time, and the fact that I was bored..

it did.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:59:13 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »
I was maintaining 300+ last night on one engine in a 234....

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »
:lol

you even read all the posts?, apparently not.
I did.   You're claiming "to be a damn good stick" and then previously state "I sat on a runway for 20 minutes."   

Sorry, my comprehension is not the one in question.   Your "claims" on the other hand have been. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
Ditch is above death but below "safe landing" -- it's 0.75 perk multiplier I believe (safe landing being 1.0, death being 0.5).

Also, ditches count as "deaths" in score counting. Check it out on the scores page. It lists ditches, bails, deaths, as similar categories.

No it does not. A "ditch" is never counted as death. "Deaths" for purposes of score = bails, deaths, captures and disco's (the latter one being 1/2 death).

Is it that a ditch in friendly territory=no kill, ditch in enemy territory=kill?  ie. if you get a successful ditch there is no kill awarded, if you get a 'captured' then someone gets the kill? 

Exactly. A "ditch" is when you bring down your plane in friendly territory. Go down in enemy territory and you get a "captured". In this case, if somebody pinged you and is still up, he'll get the kill.

Whether a particular spot is friendly or not is determined alone by what the closest enemy base is. Strategic targets do not count, but CV's do.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:02:10 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman