Author Topic: Counting Hits  (Read 711 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Counting Hits
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:59:40 PM »
My squad and I were working in the training arena tonight. As part of our squadron webpage I've decided to do some gunnery tests, consisting of having one of us fly a pattern, with the others taking turns making gunnery passes. Sort of like practicing with the drones, but figuring in net lag and with the advantage of immediate feedback.

Well, the problem comes in counting the hits and estimating hit percentage for the gunnery passes.

My plan was: Film it. Record the starting ammo load, then the remain ammunition after each pass to determine the number of rounds fired on each pass. Afterwards, I would review the film and then use hit sprites to count the total number of hits. Right away that didn't work, as the hit sprites didn't show up. So then I decided to go by "pings." This is fine in small groups, but unfortunately at one point there was an uncountable string of hits. I DO need to fairly accurately determine how many rounds struck home so "A friggen lot" is not a useful count.

Anyone have any thoughts of how to make this work?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Re: Counting Hits
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »
1.) Get yourself a bailer counter
2.) Make your movie into an actual windows movie
3.) Get VLC Media Player
4.) start movie in VLC, when you get close to the point of pinging, slow the film down. 

Using your bail counter, just count the number of pings during the slower playback.

:aok
"You rebel scum"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
Question I have is: Will this slow down the audio playback as well? I'm not getting hit sprites, so am going by the audio pings. I was able to count for most of the gunnery passes, however the last one they came far too many and close together.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:05:46 PM »
I don't think it works that way. A hit sprite accounts for 1 or more hits. They can have multiple hits in one sprite.

I'm guessing they can have more than one hit in a sound.

When I'm in a bomber and get slammed good by 50 cals, I hear maybe 15 "hit" sounds, but I know I've been hit by 100+ rounds.

I don't know if there is a way. HTC can open the film viewer up and check the hit data packets, but we don't have those capabilities.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »
I remember HTC saying you continue to hear pings even after you're in the tower because people complained about "single-ping" kills when it was actually a combination of net lag and lots of hits in a short period of time. The hits continue to play after you tower out to show how many hits you ACTUALLY received, which seems to indicate 1 hit = 1 audible ping.

Hit sprites, however, I agree may not always correlate to one hit. Especially because in my gunnery test I didn't see ANY hit sprites.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
you only see hitsprite of the person who is shooting sax. if you were the drone and filming then you wont see what you want.

repeat the test and get the guy shooting to film it and send to you. that is your best option for counting the hit sprites, and probably the best option for counting hits altogether unless you get HTC tools or something like the SEA event log.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:03:45 AM »
My squad and I were working in the training arena tonight. As part of our squadron webpage I've decided to do some gunnery tests, consisting of having one of us fly a pattern, with the others taking turns making gunnery passes. Sort of like practicing with the drones, but figuring in net lag and with the advantage of immediate feedback.

Well, the problem comes in counting the hits and estimating hit percentage for the gunnery passes.

My plan was: Film it. Record the starting ammo load, then the remain ammunition after each pass to determine the number of rounds fired on each pass. Afterwards, I would review the film and then use hit sprites to count the total number of hits. Right away that didn't work, as the hit sprites didn't show up. So then I decided to go by "pings." This is fine in small groups, but unfortunately at one point there was an uncountable string of hits. I DO need to fairly accurately determine how many rounds struck home so "A friggen lot" is not a useful count.

Anyone have any thoughts of how to make this work?
pause the film, then count them all, hehe   :D
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »
As I said: Hit sprites do not appear. :p

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »
Question I have is: Will this slow down the audio playback as well? I'm not getting hit sprites, so am going by the audio pings. I was able to count for most of the gunnery passes, however the last one they came far too many and close together.

you'll have to go by the audio pings, anyway. 

Another way you could do it would be to use a mic and record a wav while running the playback.  Save the wav, then playback nice n' slow. 

Don't forget your bail counter!
"You rebel scum"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
Multiple audio sounds can play over each other as well.

Try taking a single "bang" sound and making it for a 50cal gun. It sounds okay by itself. In a plane with 2 guns it's easy to pick out individual sounds. Now put it on the P-47 and fire all 8 guns. It becomes a merging of sounds, and you're only hearing a representation of what is actually firing.

I think damage sounds will play on top of each other, and as with hit sprites will only show a "lower limit" (no less than this many, but possibly many more) and not all the hits.