Author Topic: secret to lvl bombing  (Read 765 times)

Offline VB6command

• Zinc Member
secret to lvl bombing
« on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »
I would just like to point out to everyone espically (those who join a bombing mission) and always miss their targets, that the key to bombing is making Calibrated Airspeed=True Airspeed. Depending on the plane will determine how long your calibration speed will be. For example the B17 is the best precision bomber in my opinion. You only need to calibrate for 3 seconds, and wait 5 seconds for altitude to become constant. For B24, and lancasters its much different you'll want to make your flight very sturdy with very little turns. Use the nose gunner (hit the 5 key), and use your rudders to make your turns. Lancasters you can actully do more manuvering. Basically here are the instructions for a successful bombrun.

Before you do anything its best to decide your target in an advance and set salvo and delay to desired. When I hit Hangers I like to use 500's and set salvo to 3 with a delay of .05. When I hit the town or oil refinary ect. I set salvo to all and delay .38-.28 depending on the altitude. So here's the steps below for the bombrun

1. open doors (obviously haha)
2.Line up somewhat with your target
3. hit the f6 key
4. ensure altitude is constant (your not climb nor decending)
5. Depending on the aircraft calibrate for over 3 seconds (ensure text is green)
6. Hit the esc key to bring up kneeboard and click E6B.
7. Make the kneeboard smaller and drag it so its in the top right hand corner, and so you can see your bombsite and target with calibrated speed  ect. on the left
7. Match your Calibrated airspeed with your True Airspeed (ajust throtal or RPM accordingly)
8. make final ajustments to target TURN in bombsite mode AFTER calibration, and ENSURE calibrated airspeed= True airspeed.
9. Let em out, and u can hit the u key again in bombsite mode to see what you hit or ball turret.
10. Set a RTB point (friendly base to return to), and head home.

Good Luck bombing everyone!

If ANYONE would like help with their bombing feel free to contact me

<S>

-vmf, CO of VB-6 Sack Time Bombing Squadron
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:15:31 PM by VB6command »
VB6Command (Vmf214Nb), Sack Time CO

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: secret to lvl bombing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »
I would just like to point out to everyone espically (those who join a bombing mission) and always miss their targets, that the key to bombing is making Calibrated Airspeed=True Airspeed. Depending on the plane will determine how long your calibration speed will be. For example the B17 is the best precision bomber in my opinion. You only need to calibrate for 3 seconds, and wait 5 seconds for altitude to become constant. For B24, and lancasters its much different you'll want to make your flight very sturdy with very little turns. Use the nose gunner (hit the 5 key), and use your rudders to make your turns. Lancasters you can actully do more manuvering. Basically here are the instructions for a successful bombrun.

Before you do anything its best to decide your target in an advance and set salvo and delay to desired. When I hit Hangers I like to use 500's and set salvo to 3 with a delay of .05. When I hit the town or oil refinary ect. I set salvo to all and delay .38-.28 depending on the altitude. So here's the steps below for the bombrun

1. open doors (obviously haha)
2.Line up somewhat with your target
3. hit the f6 key
4. ensure altitude is constant (your not climb nor decending)
5. Depending on the aircraft calibrate for over 3 seconds (ensure text is green)
6. Hit the esc key to bring up kneeboard and click E6B.
7. Make the kneeboard smaller and drag it so its in the top right hand corner, and so you can see your bombsite and target with calibrated speed  ect. on the left
7. Match your Calibrated airspeed with your True Airspeed (ajust throtal or RPM accordingly)
8. make final ajustments to target TURN in bombsite mode AFTER calibration, and ENSURE calibrated airspeed= True airspeed.
9. Let em out, and u can hit the u key again in bombsite mode to see what you hit or ball turret.
10. Set a RTB point (friendly base to return to), and head home.

Good Luck bombing everyone!

If ANYONE would like help with their bombing feel free to contact me

<S>

-vmf, CO of VB-6 Sack Time Bombing Squadron
[/quot
a coule quick notes on this if i may interject?
in lancasters, you ned almost a whole sector for your speed to stabalize. i always try to be level that far out at a min. to allos this. i think it's about the same in 24's, but not sure. in JU88's, this happens much more quickly, as i've climbed till i hit the dar ring of my target, and been stabalized in time for the drop. on any of the bombers i fly, i have doors open before, or at the dar ring of the target. as soon as i hit the ring, i start calibrating. i do this every minute or so, and it seems to work pretty well. i'm always lined up with my target well before the ring, as stated above, and i try to stay in the bombsight unless there's bogies in the area. i often doublecheck my alignment by using thr F3 view untill i have target in bombsight. once i've started calibrating, i NEVER touch the throttle, as i want her stable as quickly as possible. as i get closer to target, i also zoom in, especally if i'm precision bombing. for VH, or FH, i salvo 2(in the JU's, 500KG) lancs, 2 1,000 eggs. if i'm carpet bombing..such as dropping a town, i salvo all, and delay .25....this gives a pretty nice drop. i pretty much never go crazy hi when i'm bombing...generally about 13-17k max, depending on the target...sometimes significantly lower.(i never use anything cept the JU's to divebomb..and they have very nce dive brakes).

now, for defense....in JU's.....you need to keep your tail facing the enemy. stay in your guns, and use your rudders to turn while you track him. most of the time, theyll come from your 6 low, unless it's someone who's very good at bomber killing. in lancs, i pretty much maintain course, and use my guns as best as i can. again, i see a lot attack from 6 low......and lanc tailguns saw them in half. i haven't flown 24's enough to add here, and only been in 17's once....

anyway, hope this adds to VB6's post and helps you guys n gals.,
<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »
b17 and b24 guns are killer if you can shoot them well a good burst is enough to kill most fighters.

b26 is killer too like lazers ive been hit from 1k or more out with those.

about the only angles your defences are not as good in those planes are from the side and to the front say 11 and 2 o clock or so.

b 26 your vunerable from 11 , 2 and a low six attack but i like to go into auto climb when an enemy tries to come from low just as hes rising and get shots that way.

to me those planes have the best defensive armament.

of course in any bombers what you want your enemey to do is stay nice and still dead six from you while you chew him to pieces.
i see many fighters go down this way. you can tell the most experienced guy. will slash attack you, wear you down slowly if necesary, and try to never stay in your guns long enough for you to get a kill shot,
with expereinced attackers the best you can hope is to get a good shot as they pass and HOPE they go down.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
Gawd...no offence but your making it more complicated than it is.  I never use E6b for bombing other than for "time remaining" or "settings".  You got most of it spot on.  Just go level 1 but no less than 3/4 of a sector before target.  Leave bomb bay doors closed.  Do a 3 second calibration now to throw the bomb site in the right direction.  As you already say use gun position rudder turns to line up with a zoomed map.  Site target in gun position then open doors.  Line up in bomb site and do a 6 to 20 second calibrate..... bombs away...bullseye.  Extend to edge of dar circle or similar if none present and only then make a "flip" back to target.  Any sooner and you risk gaining speed as you calibrate.

High altitude Lancaster tip for town bombing :- Dot salvo 7  Dot delay 0.76... good luck :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »
Gawd...no offence but your making it more complicated than it is.  I never use E6b for bombing other than for "time remaining" or "settings".  You got most of it spot on.  Just go level 1 but no less than 3/4 of a sector before target.  Leave bomb bay doors closed. 

i agree with you on the not using the e6b, although it can help..i don't use it. i calibrate fairly often, especially just before drop.

i disagree with leaving the bomb bay doors closed so long. it can take lancs pretty long to stabalize in speed(and they do lose a few kts). it also seems as if the lancs take at LEAST 1 full sector to stabalize. JU88's do it quicker though. i just try to do whatever it takes to get everything stable well before my drop...i very rarely ever miss anything, and try to keep it that way. usually the only time is if i try to rush.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:09:26 PM »
By leaving doors closed you gain max speed sooner in Lancaster's.  Opening them when in visual nose gun range doesn't create a speed problem because, by the time you have lined up with crosshaires ready to calibrate, the speed has settled.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:37:09 PM »
By leaving doors closed you gain max speed sooner in Lancaster's.  Opening them when in visual nose gun range doesn't create a speed problem because, by the time you have lined up with crosshaires ready to calibrate, the speed has settled.

next time up, i'll try it that way........thanks!

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"