Author Topic: Sunderland & Condor  (Read 678 times)

Offline SuperbKi11er

• Copper Member
Sunderland & Condor
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
We could use a sunderland and a condor:

From Wiki about the sunderland:

The S.25 shared much in common with the S.23 but was most notably different in that it had a deeper hull profile. As construction proceeded the armament changed to one Vickers K machine gun in the nose turret and four in the tail. Then there was a change in the tail turret to a powered version and Gouge had to devise a solution for the aftward movement of the centre of gravity (CofG) of the aircraft. had the wings swept by 4 degrees and 15 minutes by adding a spacer into the front spar attachments. This moved the centre of lift enough to compensate for the CofG movement. This arrangement flew on 7 March 1938 with Bristol Pegasus XXII of 1,010 hp (753 kW). The thick wings carried the four nacelle-mounted Pegasus engines and accommodated six drum fuel tanks with a total capacity of 9,200 litres (2,025 Imperial gallons, 2,430 U.S. gallons). Four smaller fuel tanks were added later behind the rear wing spar to give a total fuel capacity of 11,602 litres (2,550 Imperial gallons, 3,037 U.S. gallons), enough for eight- to 14-hour patrols. The specification called for an offensive armament of a 37 mm gun and up to 2,000 pounds (900 kg) of bombs, mines or (eventually) depth charges. The ordnance was stored inside the fuselage and was winched up to racks, under the wing centre section, that could be traversed out through doors on each side of the (bomb room) fuselage above the waterline to their offensive position. Defensive armament included a Nash & Thomson FN-13 powered turret with four .303 Browning machine guns in the extreme tail and a manually operated .303 on either side of the fuselage, firing from ports just below and behind the wings. Much later a twin gun turret was to be dorsal mounted on the upper fuselage, about level with the wing trailing edge, bringing the total defensive armament from three to 18 machine guns. This was more than any other aircraft during the war. Portable beaching gear could be attached by ground crew so that the aircraft could be pulled up on land (beached). The gear consisted of two, two-wheeled struts that could be attached to either side of the fuselage, below the wing, with a two- or four-wheel trolley and tow bar attached under the rear of the hull. (<<could be fun to model for AH2)

From Wiki About The Condor:

Had 7.92 mm MG 15s replaced by 13 mm MG 131s and carried an extra gunner. Had cutaway for reduced drag and could carry a droptank 300 liter or extra 250 KG bomb.  Up to 3,000 kg of bombs. 2× 20 mm MG 151/20 cannons, 6× 7.92 mm MG15 machine guns, and 1× 13 mm MG 131 machine gun.
still researching condor.
LONG LIVE THE KNIGHTHOOD.
WE SHALL NEVER DIE. "Th knights are no longer doormats" Rox Everyday.

Offline SuperbKi11er

• Copper Member
Re: Sunderland & Condor
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
anyone?

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:53:59 PM »
The FW-200 could be done, the way the game is now.

As for the Short Sunderland, whilst a seaplane would be cool, HTC would have to code in a provision for them, and floatplanes' too. Once that happens', the seaplanes' will be a welcome addition.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »
Problem with sea planes and long range recce is often performance. These planes would be easy meat for fighters while at the same time not carry the same warload as the heavy bombers. However, I still think they would be a real nice addition to the game.

So I think they should have some 'extra' ability - I know it's a bit gamey but hey ...

I suggest that maritime and recce planes have the ability to 'mark' targets, using something like the bomb-sight, on the map for all in a country to see - e.g. CVs. These 'marks' would be stationery and for CVs last about 5 minutes (the CV would have moved on by then). Recce planes might mark smaller land based objects - perhaps temoprary small fighter-only bases, or small temporary GV bases/spawn points - or something along those lines. These marks would last about 20 mins.

This would give the LRMP and recce planes something to do - rather than just pose.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:19:56 PM »
yea i guess it would be cool, they do need to add another german bomber, and teh Condor carries 6600lbs of bombs. But i would rather some Italian Aircraft first
OEF 11-12

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
yea i guess it would be cool, they do need to add another german bomber, and teh Condor carries 6600lbs of bombs. But i would rather some Italian Aircraft first

The Condor was no bomber. It was a passenger plane pressed into combat as a recon plane that could carry a bomb loadout to attack targets of opportunity.
It was never used in a genuine bomber role.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:54:25 PM »
well, Maritime reconnissence it did drop ordnace on ships tho, It was widely used as a passenger plane too.
OEF 11-12

Offline SuperbKi11er

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »
Problem with sea planes and long range recce is often performance. These planes would be easy meat for fighters while at the same time not carry the same warload as the heavy bombers. However, I still think they would be a real nice addition to the game.

So I think they should have some 'extra' ability - I know it's a bit gamey but hey ...

I suggest that maritime and recce planes have the ability to 'mark' targets, using something like the bomb-sight, on the map for all in a country to see - e.g. CVs. These 'marks' would be stationery and for CVs last about 5 minutes (the CV would have moved on by then). Recce planes might mark smaller land based objects - perhaps temoprary small fighter-only bases, or small temporary GV bases/spawn points - or something along those lines. These marks would last about 20 mins.

This would give the LRMP and recce planes something to do - rather than just pose.

did u read what i typed. It had 18 machine guns and had the most firepower of the war.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
Problem with sea planes and long range recce is often performance. These planes would be easy meat for fighters...
Problem could be resolved with better clouds that these sea/recon planes could hide in.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
did u read what i typed. It had 18 machine guns and had the most firepower of the war.
Not even remotely close.  One version of the Ju290 had the most firepower of any aircraft in WWII (10 MG151/20 20mm cannons) and the Fw200 was so fragile that they sometimes broke up on landing.

One thing though, the code for water movement is already in the game in the form of the PT Boat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-