Author Topic: PNY or BFG 9800GX2 video card?  (Read 292 times)

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
PNY or BFG 9800GX2 video card?
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
Is one company better then the other?  If so, which card should I get? 

I currently have the BFG 8600GTS!
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: PNY or BFG 9800GX2 video card?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
I've heard horror stories about PNY but I bought theit vid card anyway when I built my current system.

The PNY card died less than a week after I bought it, I replaced it with a BFG and I will never EVER buy from PNY again.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:58:08 AM »
Copy that, thank you.  I have always used BFG for vid cards & PNY for mem.

Offline Caz1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:38:34 AM »
I'd check the warranties too, Rattfink.  Any time you're about to drop $600 on a video card, it's nice to know the company stands behind their product, and will back you up if the thing craps out.  Both PNY and BFG are established companies and are less likely to vanish overnight - so a lifetime warranty from either one would actually mean something if they offer it and bother to stand behind it.

Actually, I just checked New Egg and it appears that both companies offer a limited lifetime warranty on this card.  In that case, my vote is with BFG too.  Like Delirium, I've had some bad experiences with PNY video products.  BFG, on the other hand, rocks.  I've had six BFG cards, and two BFG PSUs.  Only one video card died (after two years of continuous use), and they honored the warranty without giving me any grief over it.  I called them, they set up the RMA, I sent the card in, and they sent me another one.  Piece of cake.

If you do/did go the BFG route, they've introduced a catch to their lifetime warranty:  You have to register the product with them within 30 days from the day you order/purchase it, or your lifetime warranty is converted to a ONE year warranty.  I'm not crazy about that, but I'd recommend that you register your card with them.  Super-high-performance cards are the ones that I tend to have die on me the most, and my understanding is that the GX2 runs hot enough to fry an egg on once it gets going.

Here's the warranty information straight from BFG's website (since it sounds like you may have already purchased the card):

--------------------
APPLIES TO ALL GRAPHICS CARDS INTRODUCED BY BFG ON OR AFTER 2/21/08

BFG Technologies Graphics Card Limited Warranty

BFG Technologies warrants to the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser (residing in the United States or Canada) owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage. For original purchasers residing in areas outside the USA or Canada, the limited warranty for graphic cards shall be for a period of ten (10) years from the date of purchase.

In connection with such Limited Lifetime or Ten Year Warranty, all BFG graphics cards introduced on or after February 21, 2008 must be registered on www.bfgtech.com within thirty (30) calendar days of the original purchase date to activate the limited lifetime warranty or limited ten (10) year warranty. Products not properly registered will be covered by a one (1) year limited warranty from the date of purchase.  Proper registration includes submitting proof of purchase to BFG.

Hope your new card kicks serious rudder Rattfink;

-Caz1

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:19:49 AM »
I like EVGA.  They also offer a lifetime limited warranty and a 90 day step-up program that credits your current card at full price if you want to step up (you just pay the difference).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
I'd check the warranties too, Rattfink.  Any time you're about to drop $600 on a video card, it's nice to know the company stands behind their product, and will back you up if the thing craps out.  Both PNY and BFG are established companies and are less likely to vanish overnight - so a lifetime warranty from either one would actually mean something if they offer it and bother to stand behind it.

Actually, I just checked New Egg and it appears that both companies offer a limited lifetime warranty on this card.  In that case, my vote is with BFG too.  Like Delirium, I've had some bad experiences with PNY video products.  BFG, on the other hand, rocks.  I've had six BFG cards, and two BFG PSUs.  Only one video card died (after two years of continuous use), and they honored the warranty without giving me any grief over it.  I called them, they set up the RMA, I sent the card in, and they sent me another one.  Piece of cake.

If you do/did go the BFG route, they've introduced a catch to their lifetime warranty:  You have to register the product with them within 30 days from the day you order/purchase it, or your lifetime warranty is converted to a ONE year warranty.  I'm not crazy about that, but I'd recommend that you register your card with them.  Super-high-performance cards are the ones that I tend to have die on me the most, and my understanding is that the GX2 runs hot enough to fry an egg on once it gets going.

Here's the warranty information straight from BFG's website (since it sounds like you may have already purchased the card):

--------------------
APPLIES TO ALL GRAPHICS CARDS INTRODUCED BY BFG ON OR AFTER 2/21/08

BFG Technologies Graphics Card Limited Warranty

BFG Technologies warrants to the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser (residing in the United States or Canada) owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage. For original purchasers residing in areas outside the USA or Canada, the limited warranty for graphic cards shall be for a period of ten (10) years from the date of purchase.

In connection with such Limited Lifetime or Ten Year Warranty, all BFG graphics cards introduced on or after February 21, 2008 must be registered on www.bfgtech.com within thirty (30) calendar days of the original purchase date to activate the limited lifetime warranty or limited ten (10) year warranty. Products not properly registered will be covered by a one (1) year limited warranty from the date of purchase.  Proper registration includes submitting proof of purchase to BFG.

Hope your new card kicks serious rudder Rattfink;

-Caz1

Thank you Caz1.  I greatly appreciate the time you took on this one.  I went ahead and ordered the BFG 9800GX2 from Newegg.com &  I will be registering the card to get my lifetime warranty.

Many thanks and a Happy Easter!

<<S>>