Author Topic: Shipping out tomorrow  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Re: Shipping out tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 06:24:07 AM »
Congrats on making it through boot Nirvana. What class were you in and who were your instructors?? I know a couple of the DI's up there. Where are you going to next? A School or a unit?

Keep us informed of where your going and what your doing.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
Gratz on making it through! :D
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »
Charlie-178

Master Chief Yeoman Dykema (Normally a battalion commander)
Yeoman 2nd class Garcia
Boatswains Mate 2nd class Hall

Ship out to a small boat station in Ketchikan, Alaska on April 3.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:58 AM »
  Good luck. Just remember, you are'nt special. They were'nt waiting for you to come to save the day. Do as you are told, and play well with others. Its just the beginning. Take advantage of all the training they offer and SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!
<S>

~AoM~

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
Alaska huh??? Take your thermals with you.  Never been to Ketchikan but I've talked to plenty of folks that have been stationed there and everyone seemed to really like it. Good luck and keep in touch. You belong to a proud heritage now. :salute
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »
Listening is one thing I can do.  I'll have to debrief my recruiter on all the new changes they are making and tell them the "It's only 8 weeks" clip is just a tad outdated.  I'm looking forward to Ketchikan a lot, sometimes I'd wished I'd gone to a cutter though but it's only a 2 year billet so I'll have an opportunity soon enough...but that's in the future.  Honestly I don't think I could have asked to work for nicer people.  The CO would regularly come and mingle with recruits, even got to swim next to her one time, talk a little about the Coast Guard, etc.

There were some people there that I'd like to meet their recruiters though :O

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »
So how was it?  I'm curious as to what it's like these days.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »
It's constantly changing since Captain Stosz took over and since they sent a couple company commanders down to Parris Island.  The class curriculum is changing, the knowledge is changing, SOP changing a little.  One major change they have started to implement is the "Guardian Challenge" on Monday of week 08.  It's based off of the Marines' Crucible except not nearly as intense, but it has gotten tougher from what I've heard.  Basically you get woken up at 0300, have 10 minutes to get into ODUs, seabags with your rucksack in them, and PFDs, then you grab life rafts and start the hike around base.  Then you head to the beach for 3 hours (probably 4 or 5 now, or they do more intense training).  On the beach you put into practice most of what you've learned over the weeks.  In addition, it's a mini endurance test to see if you can keep working through the conditions that they put you in.  Luckily you're not in boots so it makes it a little more tolerable.

Some classes are being removed from what I understand, not sure if they are adding any new ones or not.  Physical fitness requirements are still the same.  You get your company colours in week 02 or 03, this also comes from the Marines.  It gives you a stronger sense of teamwork and pride in your company, especially if the colours get wrapped up.  We didn't blouse our trousers or iron our ODUs until week 04, nor did we start addressing personnel by their rank until the same time.  Again, from the Marines the purpose being to teach you how to be a recruit rather than worrying about how your uniform looks.

Those are the big ones, but like I said it's constantly changing.