Author Topic: New Squad op scenario  (Read 923 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
New Squad op scenario
« on: January 12, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
This may belong in the wish list forum. But wouldn't it be great to have scenario where there are no icon identifyers. Just think am I shooting down the right guy. Points would be subtracted for killing your own countrymen. The emphasis would be on communication and sharp eyes.

Friendlies would have to give there location constantly. Close formations would be essential.

Just a thought.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
New Squad op scenario
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »
I see where you are coming from, but its not going to happen. If you really have the urge you can manually turn off icons if you choose so by using Alt I.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: New Squad op scenario
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
Originally posted by Getback
This may belong in the wish list forum. But wouldn't it be great to have scenario where there are no icon identifyers. Just think am I shooting down the right guy. Points would be subtracted for killing your own countrymen. The emphasis would be on communication and sharp eyes.

Gimme a screen that manages a real-world resolution first please. I don't want to simulate being an almost blind fighter pilot...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
New Squad op scenario
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
I see where you are coming from, but its not going to happen. If you really have the urge you can manually turn off icons if you choose so by using Alt I.

Now wait a second there Husky, I'm looking for a level playing field as much as possible. Why would I handicap just myself.

The goal here is on a little more chaos and better communication and of course just plain fun.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline DakOne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »
Why not just cut icon range to 1.5 miles. You would have to be more in tune with what is in the area and would have to react fast to set up on a target. That would cut down on the number of successful HO passes and force a pilot to set up for attacks. Might be a little more of a challenge.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:06:39 PM »
I do not believe there is an arena setting to turn Icons completely off. I know we can shorten the distance and what it tells you but I think the option to turn it completely off is client based.

Disclaimer: I may, or may not, know what I am talking about. I just love to read my own posts :)

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
I don't believe you can set icons to off. The best you can do is limit the range they turn on.

That's still a terrible idea. Getback, the next time a plane flies overhead look at it. Note how far it might be, 1000 feet? 5000 feet? A mile or more? Note that most times you can make out individual details such as windows, gear doors, flaps, control surfaces....

In-game you get 1 single pixel.

You're only introducing virtual blind-ness by trying to implement this. The icon system 1) makes up for a complete lack of pixel-based technology to replicate what the human eye can see, and 2) simulates a ground control center that would be tracking all friendlies (you see a wing of fighters, call in, and they say "those are friendlies" or "those are enemies").

Icons are there for a reason. I have tried flying mini-missions with all icons off, and you can't tell the difference between a P-51B and a 109G2 until you're at 250 yards in this game, basically. I almost shot down a wingman. Historically? I've have known who it was instantly, and from further out. WW2 pilots could even read the fuselage codes and know which of their wingmen was in trouble. Try doing THAT in this game past 100 yards.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »
The icons will be "short" at 3.0 as opposed to normal MA 6.0, thats sop for most SEA Events.

Just for info.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24