Author Topic: B-52 flyby  (Read 493 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
B-52 flyby
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »
Shamelessly stolen from The Purple Board (http://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/showthread.php?t=3734)

"This is not photoshopped. It happened in early 1990 in the Persian Gulf, while U.S. carriers and B-52s were holding joint exercises. Two B-52s called the carrier (USS Ranger) and asked if they could do a fly-by, and the carrier air controller said yes. When the B-52s reported they were 9 kilometers out, the carrier controller said he didn't see them. The B-52s told the carrier folks to look down. The paint job on the B-52 made it hard to see from above, but as it got closer, the sailors could make it out, and the water the B-52 jets were causing to spray out. It's very, very rare for a USAF aircraft to do a fly-by below the flight deck of a carrier. But B-52s had been practicing low level flights for years, to come in under Soviet radar. In this case, the B-52 pilots asked the carrier controller if they would like the bombers come around again. The carrier guys said yes, and a lot more sailors had their cameras out this time."
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: B-52 flyby
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
Beautiful  :(
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:07 AM »
Caption:  999000 Rearms and heads back for more!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »
:rofl :rofl
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:16:30 AM »
Have to register and login to see it. /shrug

Care to show it to us instead of teasing us you goofball?   :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 02:40:30 AM »
General "Buck" Turgidson: If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:47:26 AM »
Thats a pretty cool pic :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »
Have to register and login to see it. /shrug

Care to show it to us instead of teasing us you goofball?   :D
I included the link to the Purple Board so credit the author, but the meat of the sandwich is right here.  No need to register.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »
Haha Brilliant!  :aok

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:29:49 AM »
:rofl
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:26 AM »
Hope he's got his flaps down, he'll never make it, just like frikkin F4u

(VERY cool pic :aok)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Nice pic!

Reminds me of 1987.   My brother, two buddies and I were playing baseball at the park.   It was about 1pm and all of a sudden the ground shook.   About two minutes later I looked North and see large object just over the tree line.   It was a B-52 en route to the Willow Run Airshow.    Looking up it wasn't even at 5,000 feet, probably about 3,500ft (no exaggeration on altitude).   For about 30 seconds you couldn't hear shouting from anyone 6 feet from them.   I was laughing so hard I nearly pissed myself at the sight of something so surreal, but so damn cool.   The ground then shook for another 2 minutes as it disappeared from sight.   I was 14 at the time and shook my head saying "What I wouldn't give to be a S.A.C. pilot."   

I attended the 1992 Willow Run Airshow and a B-1 did some maneuvers and it was loud.    But the B-52 is the LOUDEST noise I have heard to date. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC