Author Topic: WIP Russian KV1  (Read 1424 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: WIP Russian KV1
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
For something REALLY cheap, that I started playing with (I dont know the comparative quality) use Google SketchUp. You can also download things people have already made and tinker with them from there.

Yea, I totally forgot about sketchup. I installed ity and had some fun playing with it, just before I decided to get back into 3d modeling.
"strafing"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
Yea, I totally forgot about sketchup. I installed ity and had some fun playing with it, just before I decided to get back into 3d modeling.

How does it compare with what you're using? It drives me batty trying to connect the lines to form a plane. Its as if it always tries to move one pixel away along some axis...

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
I didn't use sketchup much.. I was looking for something to play around with on my iMac and saw it had a Apple version so I D/Led it and played with it some. Didn't get into it much was just enough to get the bug going again.  :D

Sketchup seems like it would make a nice app for doing architecture type stuff for web work or just for presentation work, because it seems fast and easy to use.

With modo, which is what I'm using, it's 3D modeling tools are the best I've used (ie Maya, 3DSmax & XSI). It's so much easier and faster to use than the other 3D programs because they have really thought it out from a users POV. However it does have a few quirks here and there, like sometimes it will make double sided polygons and you have to go in and delete the back faces.

Modo is also lacking on the animation and rendering end, but it's only on version 3 so it's still a pretty new software but seems to have a good looking future. The cool thing is it has a Zbrush like set up built right into it, so you can build the model then do the bump mapping and paint it all in one app and you can set up a pipline to photoshop. So if you edit a texture in PS it updates in Modo.

I suspect by version 4 it will have much better animation support because it is progressing along at a fast pace. I needed something that worked on a Apple, so it was the choice between Modo or Maya and I just don't like Maya that much. It's a nice piece of software, but I just never like it's work flow.

The other cool thing about Modo, is it's designed to be a perspective view modeler, so you can do most of your modeling in a single window perspective view. This way you don't have to keep jumping back to the left, right, front or back views as much, like you have to do in other programs.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »
Ok worked on it a bit more this morning and just have a little bit more to do on the geometry. Mainly just going to add the front light and the side armor plates for the turret and I think I'll called it finished.

I decided to do away with the double lower roller wheels to save some polygons. The model is under my budget, but honestly I think I can make the single wheels look ok once they are textured. It's under 5k right now, so I have wiggle room in my 6.5k budget if I decided I want to add them back.
"strafing"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »
So... what are you going to do with it when you're done?

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 11:04:07 PM »
I'm working with a 3D game engine that allows you to play games via your web browser in full 3d. The same kind of concept as what instantaction.com is using but a much better terrain engine. I needed a model so I could start working on the controls and general set up for a sort of proof of concept game demo.
"strafing"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
I'm working with a 3D game engine that allows you to play games via your web browser in full 3d. The same kind of concept as what instantaction.com is using but a much better terrain engine. I needed a model so I could start working on the controls and general set up for a sort of proof of concept game demo.

Sweet! I've always kind of had the thought of making my own game, just for me, so it would be perfect, you know? It will never happen, I don't have the time or skills, but its a fun thought, lol.