Author Topic: Perk the 5" Guns!  (Read 401 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Perk the 5" Guns!
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »
With all the perk wishes being tossed around, I figured I'd throw my own hat into the ring.

I say perk the CV 5" guns. CV ack was ridiculously accurate before the patch, but both auto and manned are absolutely murderous now. Something changed with the 5" guns during the update because they are absolute lasers now. And before you give me anything about the prox fuses, I got tagged from about 10,000 yards downrange and 5000-6000ft altitude on one pull of the trigger (visible by shell contrails). Conversations with other people on country that night were almost unanimously in agreement: SOMETHING in the update significantly boosted the accuracy of the 5" guns to a level that's just plain ludicrous (at one point we had three guys all hitting the CV from different angles, far enough apart we couldn't all get hit by the same round almost simultaneously, and I think one gunner got all three of us).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: Perk the 5" Guns!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
I saw a A6m at 5k above get waxed by auto ack while i was in a single 5" on the small support ship. On the single i was able to get 10 kills before a torpedo got me. Did seem a lot more accurate than before and thought the maned 5" before the update was pretty deadly.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »
I was in the 5" gun the other day and hit a fighter I had no icon on.  Had a squadie in the air and he was 4.5k from me...he said the fighter I waxed was 6k from him.  But I chalked that up as a one in a million shot...still was funny...well to me it was funny.  Sure the guy that got hit was not laughing.  How can they perk the 5" guns...you gain nothing by shooting people. 

IMO it's about time they make cv's more powerful...been to easy to kill for to long.  Just like with the addition of the wiblewind makes vulching alot harder.  Makes tactic's more important.  I like it when they make you think!
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
I agree that they seem to be a lot more devistating than they used to. I mean just last night I manned a twin 5 inch gun and with about 2 puffs I downed a formation of Lancs. However I think they are now perfect the way they are. I mean do you think that a single formation of 3 buffs should be able to get through ack and manned guns to take down a CV. I think not. It still takes some skill to figure out how much lead to use when gunning and me taking down a whole formation with only a couple of hits is unusual to say the least. I think they are modeled much better now than they used to because now you will have to work to sink these carriers.

IMHO
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »
It wasn't a failure of AAA that made CVs easy kills before. It was failure of the Combat Air Patrols that would historically be hovering over the fleet to defend against enemy air attack, who instead were too concerned with the furball to bother with the bombers. It was failure on the part of the commander of the fleet who 1) parked the boat a mile off shore and 2) failed to engage in evasive maneuvers when enemy bombers came rolling through. It was a failure of the airstrikes launching off the CV who failed to knock down the ordinance and shore batteries before the enemy could turn them on the boat.

I'd been part of CV defenses before the patch where good CAP and someone effectively manning the wheel steered the fleet through an almost constant stream of bombers with barely a scratch.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »
I can hit things in a 5" gun.  They are OBVIOUSLY too accurate and too powerful.

Maybe they're 16" anti-aircraft guns in disguise.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:14:19 PM »
It wasn't a failure of AAA that made CVs easy kills before. It was failure of the Combat Air Patrols that would historically be hovering over the fleet to defend against enemy air attack, who instead were too concerned with the furball to bother with the bombers. It was failure on the part of the commander of the fleet who 1) parked the boat a mile off shore and 2) failed to engage in evasive maneuvers when enemy bombers came rolling through. It was a failure of the airstrikes launching off the CV who failed to knock down the ordinance and shore batteries before the enemy could turn them on the boat.

I'd been part of CV defenses before the patch where good CAP and someone effectively manning the wheel steered the fleet through an almost constant stream of bombers with barely a scratch.

these things are great ideas and work well when there are lots of people in arena however there are also times that there ae only small numbers of people in the arena fights are limited. I even sometimes up bombers and just go looking for something to blow-up at these times because fights are few and far between. These things do not always work and I am not going to try and up a fighter off CV deck when there are bombers inbound at 15-20 feet when I have a chance at hitting them from a 5" gun (not even the way the settings were), because by the time I would climb out the bombs would be out and into cv. I would rather blow him up and go find him later. I think again these are done well for gameplay purposes (which to me is very important). When wasas the last time you just hovered over a CV that was not heavly contested but stioll ahd the possibility of attack from high buffs (just wondering). The only response that I would have to the get enough people around to defend then you won't have a problem, is get enough people together to bomb cv then you will provide enough targets to defenders that you will get through. Let's face reallity here (I may be wrong here). Very few bomber sorties flown during WW2 were flown with only 3 bombers and I bet you there were some very accurate flack gunners back in the day.

<S> no offense intended only my opinion

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
if you read the reed me it said aa was made more acurate but less deadly
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »
Sure, cost us bomber perks.  I won't notice the difference with 4000 useless bomber perks to spare.  :)
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »
Small consolation, snowey. The end result is that AAA is still even more effective than before, and it was ALREADY brutal. The individual rounds may not have as much weight, but you're getting hit by more OF them now.