Author Topic: ACM Analysis, Etc  (Read 918 times)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
ACM Analysis, Etc
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »
Hello guys, I have this film here of a fight that I had.  I would like it if some of you could critique some of my choices in respect to my acm choices, my throttle work, etc.  I know that that is a little vague, as one different choice could potentially affect the outcome of the rest of the fight, but try to do your best :aok

Basically looking for a little "That was a good choice there, because..." or "That's a no-no in that situation, because" or a "I would have do this instead, because...".  That sort of thing.  I'll try to list a few questions to get it started.

First off, here is the film.

109F_boss.ahf:
http://files.filefront.com/109F+bossahf/;9932602;/

1) At 17/18 seconds in, I cut throttle a little when boss goes over the top, and I'm pulling up into him.  I guess I did that so I wouldn't shoot out infront of him, or have a wider turn radius pulling into him because of excess speed.  Good or bad idea in that situation?

2)  At times like 48 seconds in, what pursuit mode would you guys be in there?

3)At 125ish, would you guys turn hard to neutralize angles, or go lag to build up E and set up a reverse like I tried to?

4) At 2:15 (and I know barbossa gave up a nice juicy shot and I'm glad he did as it made the fight longer which was one of my favorites to date) would you draw in your flaps to help build E, or keep them out like I did?

Any help and advice is appreciated guys. :aok

Thanks,
donkey
2sBlind

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: ACM Analysis, Etc
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:24 PM »
If you got to 2:15 with the man you had to be doing something right....better then I ever do :aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
If you got to 2:15 with the man you had to be doing something right....better then I ever do :aok

That's why I'm thinking he took it really easy on me :aok.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »
Donkey, The only thing I'd do differently would be at about 2:07. You didn't follow me into left roll. You tried to roll to the right, didn't cut throttle enough and you have pretty much stuck there and lost at least a second. Just a little bit later, at about 2:17, you were again slow on throttle and at following roll to the left, cutting into me from above, you came out a bit short. Final mistake was going for that shot at 2:32. You lost there some E (due to waiting for me to overshoot) and angles, and from this point it was just matter of time for me to catch up on you.

Those are three things I'd do differently. Anyways, at your skill level, you pretty much max the plane. What it comes down to, is to make less mistakes than other guy.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
Donkey, The only thing I'd do differently would be at about 2:07. You didn't follow me into left roll. You tried to roll to the right, didn't cut throttle enough and you have pretty much stuck there and lost at least a second. Just a little bit later, at about 2:17, you were again slow on throttle and at following roll to the left, cutting into me from above, you came out a bit short. Final mistake was going for that shot at 2:32. You lost there some E (due to waiting for me to overshoot) and angles, and from this point it was just matter of time for me to catch up on you.

Those are three things I'd do differently. Anyways, at your skill level, you pretty much max the plane. What it comes down to, is to make less mistakes than other guy.

Thanks for all of that.  You're right, a lot of mistakes/things I should have done differently in that short span, especially at the end there.  After viewing it again, WOW, at 2:07 I did lose a lot of time there.  I don't know why I didn't roll left with you.  I can only guess, but I guess because I thought I might auger??  Same at the other two times.  I saw how I lost time locating you, and then rolling down on you.  Same with the shot after that.  Lost sight of you and expected you to come out somewhere under my nose, even if I didn't get you.  Boy was that a surprise when you didn't  :lol.

Thanks for that barbossa.  Helped a lot and showed me some major things that I didn't pick up on.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
Hello guys, I have this film here of a fight that I had.  I would like it if some of you could critique some of my choices in respect to my acm choices, my throttle work, etc.  I know that that is a little vague, as one different choice could potentially affect the outcome of the rest of the fight, but try to do your best :aok

Basically looking for a little "That was a good choice there, because..." or "That's a no-no in that situation, because" or a "I would have do this instead, because...".  That sort of thing.  I'll try to list a few questions to get it started.

First off, here is the film.

109F_boss.ahf:
http://files.filefront.com/109F+bossahf/;9932602;/

1) At 17/18 seconds in, I cut throttle a little when boss goes over the top, and I'm pulling up into him.  I guess I did that so I wouldn't shoot out infront of him, or have a wider turn radius pulling into him because of excess speed.  Good or bad idea in that situation?

2)  At times like 48 seconds in, what pursuit mode would you guys be in there?

3)At 125ish, would you guys turn hard to neutralize angles, or go lag to build up E and set up a reverse like I tried to?

4) At 2:15 (and I know barbossa gave up a nice juicy shot and I'm glad he did as it made the fight longer which was one of my favorites to date) would you draw in your flaps to help build E, or keep them out like I did?

Any help and advice is appreciated guys. :aok

Thanks,
donkey

that looked like an incredibly fun fight!! in addition to what the other guys pointed out, if i may add one more thing? you kept going back to foward view at times that it appeared as if you should've kept your eye on him. i think i saw at least 3 times that you lost his position from this. now...that being said, i STILL think you'd kick my bellybutton in a fight, judging by the flying i saw there.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
that looked like an incredibly fun fight!! in addition to what the other guys pointed out, if i may add one more thing? you kept going back to foward view at times that it appeared as if you should've kept your eye on him. i think i saw at least 3 times that you lost his position from this. now...that being said, i STILL think you'd kick my bellybutton in a fight, judging by the flying i saw there.

<<S>>

Lol I don't know about the kicking your bellybutton haha, but yeah, I do still need to work on keeping my eyes on my opponent the whole time. 

donkey
2sBlind

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
shoot id like to have a few fights with ya donk lol holler if ya see me.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
shoot id like to have a few fights with ya donk lol holler if ya see me.

Sure, and if you see me, don't hesitate to let me know. :aok

donkey
2sBlind

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
yea i've been flying the 38j a lot recently i realy like the way it handles until u get more than 3 notches of flaps out. after that i cant control it very well.

i think im getting close to a good skill level im just making mistakes still overshooting too much and to agressive i think.

also been flying the f4u1a and landed some kills in it the other night.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »
as in being overagressive i think what i do is i get impatient and try to bring the fight in to close to fast blow all my e and end up wallowing while the other plane rebuilds his e over me.

which is why i hate fighting the good climbers and fast acelerators in the f4u and the ones that can just string me along with low g manuvers in the 38 until im wallowing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:46:33 PM by goober69 »
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »
Anybody else have any critiques?

donkey
2sBlind

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »

donkey

only 1.....and this is judging from watching your films....and i saw you fighting in ur 38 vs something.i forget ewhat.....but u were still there fighting when i re-upped for the 3rd time.......anyway..are ya ready for this?

YOU'RE TOO FRIGGIN HARD ON YOURSELF! :D
and of course i mean that in a good way.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »

Apart from what I've already said, there's not much to criticize. You have flown that bird extremely well.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 01:13:19 PM »
Apart from what I've already said, there's not much to criticize. You have flown that bird extremely well.
I taught this tard everything he knows.  :) That was a long time ago though, and nowadays he beats me like a red headed step child.