Author Topic: Thought I was good, turns out I suck  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Thought I was good, turns out I suck
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with sunfan  :P  j/k  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ViperDriver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
All,
Thanks for the good advice - all of which I was planning to implement soon.  I won't be going online quite yet as my schedule is up in the air and I don't want to waste my two weeks (although I'm quite certain I'll sign up for the long haul).  I figure I'll jump right into the MA for a sortie or two just to see what it's like, then spend a lot of time in the TA for some quality time!  I don't expect to squeek much - after all, it's a game.

<snip> The AI wont prepare you for the bunts and waggies you will see online (those terms from F4AF DF 1v1) and its not like mastering the fifteen million options of the Viper. It will take about two weeks for your SA to tune into the arena and then a month or more to feel at home. What was your handle over there? Ever make the IDFL?</snip>

I've never been online...ever. All of my air time has been offline. I'm looking forward to the challenges of [mostly ;)] real human opponents.
.  <---That's what I am (figure it out)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Keep in mind you can wing up with a group of friendlies too online.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »
I do not suck!  I'm simply very good at being very bad :D

Jenksie
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
I do not suck!  I'm simply very good at being very bad :D

Jenksie
Me too!!!   :rofl :rofl :rofl
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »
All,
Thanks for the good advice - all of which I was planning to implement soon.  I won't be going online quite yet as my schedule is up in the air and I don't want to waste my two weeks (although I'm quite certain I'll sign up for the long haul).  I figure I'll jump right into the MA for a sortie or two just to see what it's like, then spend a lot of time in the TA for some quality time!  I don't expect to squeek much - after all, it's a game.

I've never been online...ever. All of my air time has been offline. I'm looking forward to the challenges of [mostly ;)] real human opponents.

Dude, c'mon in to the Training Arena- I'm in there quite a bit, though I'm not very good, but  I'll show ya what I do know. 
"You rebel scum"

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
If hopping into the unordered TA isn't your thing, setting up some time with the trainers is a great option too.  You'll probably learn more in an hour with them than a couple days in the MA. :)

Truer words were never spoken.  To my shame I have never taken advantage of the opportunity to work with the trainers.  I have done what learning I have in the MA.  I dont reccomend that approach.  The MA is a very harsh learning enviroment.  What you mainly learn there is how to bail out and/or die with dignity. :lol

When I first started I thought I sucked, turned out I was right.  Now 13 months later, I still suck!

The new offline AI is a great training tool and probably represents a slightly better than the MA average pilot with a less than average gunnery skill.  It is absolutely nothing compared to the real pros here.  I wont name any names to protect the guilty.  We all find out who there are the anyway, usually the hard way.

Practice practice and if you want someone to fly with look me up or any of my squaddies (Clowns of Death) and I am sure they will help you.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline in F4AF isnt that much different from the arena here except the icons are on by default and because there is no penalty from death people will try things that they would not in R/L. If you fly F4 without icons you wont need them here but if you use them here it will keep you from getting bounced... mostly. There are still a lot of bottom feeders that have learned to hug the ground and then pop up for a quick snapshot/kill and then run back to the shade to hide. The bunt here is very popular and every now and then someone thinks an outside push during a roll will save them (sucks to be wrong). Scoring here is nothing like F4AF and you would do really really good to just ignore it and have fun. The guys that are scoring well are gaming and not flying. Im pretty sure most of the people that post here would agree. If you come to the conclusion that the game isnt as complex as you would like then stick around until the new combat theater is finished. I think the AI thing is supposed to be a small taste of a few features for that. Join a squad if nothing else it will help to settle you down between engagements.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:17:41 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »
Hi all.

Well, here's my first post.  WOOT!

I've been flying sims off and on for years.  Started in the old Flight Simulator I days back in the dark ages ('85 or so?).  Most recently I have logged many hundreds of hours in the F-16 inside a fully patched-for-realism Falcon 4.0.

I came across AH about three weeks ago and was instantly hooked! I've been reading all the training doco I can find, reading all the posts here, and spending lots of time flying offline to practice my basic prop-driven tail-draggin' skills.  I've gotten very good at strafing and landing (even on the CVs) and have spent most of my time in the F4U-1a.

Needless to say I was feeling pretty good about myself, and was just about to sign up for my two-week initiation; until the latest update was released.  Now I realize that my ACM skills against even the "mediocre" AI leave a lot to be desired.  Back to the basics I go...practice, practice and more practice.

Look for me in the skies real soon...

Aces High rocks!   :rock

Welcome to the "OMG I really suck at this" club! The upside is that there ARE players that are worse... You are welcome to wing with our squad... we always have fun, no matter how bad we are flying! :salute
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

I predict you are going to be quickly addicted.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »
I think you should just come on into the Main Arena and not wait until you feel like you can easily beat the AI pilots offline.  I tried a couple of P-51 vs. P-51 engagements vs. the AI offline, and my impression is that the AI planes can turn much more tightly than most human pilots and are actually pretty hard to saddle up on in some ways.  Like all AI in games, they do some weird things that a human wouldn't and have some strengths humans don't.  Against real people, you will find many situations that are easier than the AI and some that are harder than the AI and lots more types of fights.  You will have fun online even if you get shot down, too -- so don't wait, just come on in. :)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
been in AH since alpha :) I still remember when B17 had a P51 flight model :)

And i still suck. Don't worry about it :D

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »
I've been playing 10 years, 5 years on AH, and I suck.

btw, that was post #8 for you.  :rofl not one.

Anyway welcome back!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline ViperDriver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »
btw, that was post #8 for you.  :rofl not one.

It was #1 when I posted it...seems like the number of posts is cumulative and not a moment-in-time snapshot.   :aok

To my shame I have never taken advantage of the opportunity to work with the trainers.

I got online the other day and actually got to spend some quality airtime in the TA last night with Ren. Thanks again for the great tutoring Ren  :salute

My online handle is ImADot, but was thinking about changing it to LawnDart  :rolleyes:, until Ren helped me get my 'stick tuned a little better.  Look for me - actually look out for me (as in take it easy)  :lol. I think I'll be online quite a bit.
.  <---That's what I am (figure it out)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
welcome to AH the greatest combat flight sim ever
  and just a quick note those that say they suk most likely don't,  its the ones that  brag  or talk trash that suk.
and flying against the AI is not all that helpfull, very predictable, only flying against those in MA DA TA, will you aquire skillz to kill all these sukky sticks.
i just think you should be able to up and try to fight before you enter the MA, in other words knowing how to raise your gear and let out flaps and such like that, all the rest will come with time in the air, and there is no substitute for flying against real people.
  anyways have fun and enjoy.

<S>