Author Topic: Why the allies lose...  (Read 3723 times)

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Why the allies lose...
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »
Encke division, if I recall correctly.   :cool:

<S>

nope , the Cassini Division but you were the closest.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:17:41 PM by JagdTankker »
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
I like biscuts
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »
ok well least I got the rings right :D..
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:31 AM »
ok well least I got the rings right :D..

good point :aok :D
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:34 AM »
I have a slightly different view than yours TrueKill.  I have flown with you now on both sides of the arena.  I won't discuss reasons for allied failure in the past.  I will only discuss the success that allies seem to be enjoying at the moment. 

This is a numbers game.  If you have the numbers on your side, you will have the momentum most likely.  And sure their have been and will be exceptions.  AvA staffers are doing what they can to offer a balanced arena.  But when ranks, bragging rights and MA style land grab are a part of the scoreboard, you can bet nobody is gonna stay on the loosing side for very long.  Catch 22, beat the crap out of the enemy (lots of fun, I could play all day), get the crap kicked out of you everytime you spawn (zero fun, I think I will go back to the MA).  You can attest to that in the last week.  I salute all axis players who have fought during difficult times. 

I am asking the core group of players and the staffers to take an objective look at this.  Settings are 35 troops to capture a base within a 20 minute period or so.  This requires the better part of no less than 4 troop carriers to enter the maproom.  This most certainly promotes the most brutal of tactics when opposed by an equal force.  Most veterans of the MA know how to get this done (won't go into specifics) and it most certainly does not resemble the historical air battles that I would hope to see here.

Change the scoring, plain and simple.  Don't allow base captures at all.  Make the Strats the main targets.  Now, you have a strategic battle, that involves real historical and gaming planning.  For example destroy fuel refineries and LW planes have shorter flight time or visa versa.  Destroy ammo factories and gain advantage in bombing.  The possibilities of how this could play out is limitless.  The fights to protect either bombers or friendly targets would pose air battles that would be the stuff of legend.

To say that Allies are not as good at land grabbing, you might as well include in that list vulching, HOing, hording and milking.  To that I will say maybe that is not what they signed up to do.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »
Change the scoring, plain and simple.  Don't allow base captures at all.  Make the Strats the main targets.  Now, you have a strategic battle, that involves real historical and gaming planning.  For example destroy fuel refineries and LW planes have shorter flight time or visa versa.  Destroy ammo factories and gain advantage in bombing.  The possibilities of how this could play out is limitless.  The fights to protect either bombers or friendly targets would pose air battles that would be the stuff of legend.

To say that Allies are not as good at land grabbing, you might as well include in that list vulching, HOing, hording and milking.  To that I will say maybe that is not what they signed up to do.

I have to agree with this simple and elegant approach. I believe I've seen it suggested in the past. Even implemented, IIRC. And my old brain seems to remember it runniing off some existing and potential players who's AH existance centers around base capture which must have brought about the current hesitancy to set things up this way again (only a perceived theory, no insult or accusation actually implied). But I would like to see it tried again and left that way for awhile to see how many players eventually migrate in and find it refreshing. It would take awhile. But running it this way for only a week or two and caving to the shock reaction in that short a timespan won't give an accurate measure of success or failure of this scheme.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:14:28 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2008, 12:13:33 PM »
Erg ...

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
I have a slightly different view than yours TrueKill.  I have flown with you now on both sides of the arena.  I won't discuss reasons for allied failure in the past.  I will only discuss the success that allies seem to be enjoying at the moment. 

This is a numbers game.  If you have the numbers on your side, you will have the momentum most likely.  And sure their have been and will be exceptions.  AvA staffers are doing what they can to offer a balanced arena.  But when ranks, bragging rights and MA style land grab are a part of the scoreboard, you can bet nobody is gonna stay on the loosing side for very long.  Catch 22, beat the crap out of the enemy (lots of fun, I could play all day), get the crap kicked out of you everytime you spawn (zero fun, I think I will go back to the MA).  You can attest to that in the last week.  I salute all axis players who have fought during difficult times. 

I am asking the core group of players and the staffers to take an objective look at this.  Settings are 35 troops to capture a base within a 20 minute period or so.  This requires the better part of no less than 4 troop carriers to enter the maproom.  This most certainly promotes the most brutal of tactics when opposed by an equal force.  Most veterans of the MA know how to get this done (won't go into specifics) and it most certainly does not resemble the historical air battles that I would hope to see here.

I must say...THIS is the game I want to play.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »

He had a camera. I dont like the squirrels with cameras.

but you missed his laywer buddy with the video camera.....you'll be hearing from him in 2 weeks :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »

I like this idea, this gets everyone out of the ack, and out fighting....which is what we sorely need.

At the very least, I believe a few days of disabled base capture would do the community good.
P-47 pilot

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2008, 05:07:36 AM »
It is good to see that I am not alone, that limb was looking pretty far up  :lol.   I agree that any change in stratedgy will be met with resistance and  confusion at the onset.  I hope that whatever we do here we improve on two things.  The first, being a solid and balanced player base, and the second, being a high regard for those opposing players that you love to see in a chute, but would just as well offer a salute for a clean hard fought victory on his part. 

I have to practice the second   :confused: 

:salute N72 for all those times you twisted me in a knot and I screamed CHEAT!!!!