Author Topic: How to make your XP work better in ace's high  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Rockies

• Probation
  • Zinc Member
How to make your XP work better in ace's high
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »
Flew early war this TOD,and had to try and help alot of new people on this subject. My Fingers got tired so I had to post it here to save time :rolleyes:

These things will help your computer run faster and could stop some of your screen freezes. I hope this helps
VIRGIL

STEP 1  Goto startup---- Run type DXDIAG. turn sound down to 3/4.

Step 2  (XP only) Start--- Run  type MSCONFIG-------Startup----Click on disable all.

After restarting computer Go to HELP on these boards. Goto SKUZZY'S hints and tips. He goes thru all programs that eat memory.You can turn off these programs, to improve your performance of your computer.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.0.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:06:19 AM by Rockies »

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
Re: How to make your XP work better in ace's high
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
PLEASE Learn the services and background programs that should and shouldnt be turned off...Go to Blackviper.com. The best detailed site for doing what you need. This allows you to create multiple profiles at boot up for whatever you want to run. Plus it teaches you to BACKUP your original settings. Do NOT go into msconfig and TURN IT ALL OFF. If your running a stick configuration it will not work. Do Not use msconfig to shutdown services also.

Kamori

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »
Just looked at that thread...

Skuzzy says:
"Lastly, the number of and type of background processes is a contributing factor to poor performance. Open the Windows Task Manager ... select the "Processes" tab. ... the total number. It should be around 19 to 21 for a reasonably clean Windows XP/2000 system."

My computer shows 69!!!!  :O :O

He also says:
"Right next to the total count is the CPU usage percentage. For WIndows XP/2000/Vista, it should be bouncing like a heartbeat between 0 and 1 (maybe 2 on occasion) percent.  If there is any deviation to this, then something is amiss. You can also start the game, minimize it (ALT-TAB), then check the game's CPU usage. It should be at 99 to 100%."

I'm NOT running the game, and I'm getting about 0% to 4% usually, with fairly frequent spikes to 30% or so...

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
I get mine down to 16 processes before I log on.
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
Do a google for FSAutostart. Freebie program which can be set to turn off all non-essential clutter when you boot up AH

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
Do a google for FSAutostart. Freebie program which can be set to turn off all non-essential clutter when you boot up AH

I used to use this... Good stuff on a low-end machine.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »
I made something similar to fsauto start.

Except it will kill services and background processs, cleans the pc including memory, and then when you're done 1 click restarts them bringing the PC back to where it was when you started. It also uses profile so you can set profiles for every game or program you run. Up to 1000 profiles.

Just working out a few menu issues and it will be released.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
Just looked at that thread...

Skuzzy says:
"Lastly, the number of and type of background processes is a contributing factor to poor performance. Open the Windows Task Manager ... select the "Processes" tab. ... the total number. It should be around 19 to 21 for a reasonably clean Windows XP/2000 system."

My computer shows 69!!!!  :O :O

He also says:
"Right next to the total count is the CPU usage percentage. For WIndows XP/2000/Vista, it should be bouncing like a heartbeat between 0 and 1 (maybe 2 on occasion) percent.  If there is any deviation to this, then something is amiss. You can also start the game, minimize it (ALT-TAB), then check the game's CPU usage. It should be at 99 to 100%."

I'm NOT running the game, and I'm getting about 0% to 4% usually, with fairly frequent spikes to 30% or so...

<S>

Yossarian

Just used the best piece of software ever written by Norton... the Norton Software Removal Tool.  Now my hardware profile for AH has it down to 14 processes running!

Balsy

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
Norton is just about the worst.  Good choise on using the removal tool, now you should do a search and delete anything that has to do with Norton or Symantic.  The removal tool DOES NOT remove but maybe 10% of the program.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
I made something similar to fsauto start.

Except it will kill services and background processs, cleans the pc including memory, and then when you're done 1 click restarts them bringing the PC back to where it was when you started. It also uses profile so you can set profiles for every game or program you run. Up to 1000 profiles.

Just working out a few menu issues and it will be released.

this is diff. from FSAuto Start how again?

FSAS will start/stop services for ya', as well as defrag memory.  I don't recall if it had "profiles" or not, as I quit usin' it last year.

I bet out of the 1000's of people that play AH, only a couple hundred have their PC setup "correctly" to fly with.  I ALSO bet that 90% of the whines you see when flying and on the  BBS could  be "fixed" by a properly setup computer.

(my 2 cents...)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 02:06:55 PM »

The difference is we know the guy who made it, so it will be easier to sue him when things go wrong.

:D :D :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 02:32:25 PM »

FSAS will start/stop services for ya', as well as defrag memory.  I don't recall if it had "profiles" or not, as I quit usin' it last year.

I bet out of the 1000's of people that play AH, only a couple hundred have their PC setup "correctly" to fly with.  I ALSO bet that 90% of the whines you see when flying and on the  BBS could  be "fixed" by a properly setup computer.

(my 2 cents...)

Animl makes some really good tweak programs.  Made a great one for AW back in the day.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
Just used the best piece of software ever written by Norton... the Norton Software Removal Tool.  Now my hardware profile for AH has it down to 14 processes running!

Balsy

All ya need now is a tool to remove Norton  :P

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
I have 45 processes running...I can't find any that I can disable...I tried disabling one, and my taskbar went bye bye...LOL
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »

(my 2 cents...)

Sounds like he updated it from the last time I used it. I'm not trying to push my stuff over his, nor say it's better.

What I remember the difference is in services for example it explains what they do and if you should shut it down or not. It doesn't really leave you with any questions. Anything you click has an descriptions and\or file info,... company name etc..

For all I know his MAY be better. I just make my own stuff, and if I like it I cut it loose for others to use if they want. But most of what I make is for me and how I want it to work.

It will also kill the desktop and you can access any file from it or any control panel applet etc..

I have 7 bkg process running when I start AH, and I kill up to 14 services so far.

It also has a connection section, and will prolly end up with system tweaks in it too at some point.

If I had to GUESS I would ass-ume it's maybe a little more robust, but I could be totally wrong since I haven't used any newer version of fsautostart.

But like I said I'm not competing with the guy at all. We just may have a little difference in approach and interfacing.

The biggest thing I care about is getting at least most players on the same level of performance. Whether they choose mine or his is irrelevant to me. As you said most complaints are due to their system isn't tweaked for streamline performance. If you have Task Scheduler active and something decides to run while playing a game you're probably going to experience a hicup, glitch, stall or more. And it doesn't really matter much if you have a monster machine or not, there are some things that will prevent streamline data.

I don't know if his does it or not but it will restore the PC to the way it was
 without booting. Meaning you don't HAVE to make these settings and leave them permanent, they are only temporary until you're done playing, then you can use it for office work again :)

If you feel more comfortable with his stuff then by cod use it. But use something besides a non-tweaked machine. IMO.

The very worst I can say about his stuff is <S>. <shrug>