Author Topic: Landing a wingless B-26  (Read 599 times)

Sturm

Landing a wingless B-26
« on: April 03, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
I am just curious who else has landed one without wings before?  I have a film I am going to send to Pyro, but it was odd, 2 37mm hits from ostwind, took right wing and left wing off.  I flew it back from enemy base and landed no problem could not go over 200 though.  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
I have landed last year B-26 without wingtips.. shot down a niki as well while that.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
Sturm, wingless, or wing tips shot off?  Wingtips missing is a graphic representation of damaged wings on both sides, though the graphic shows alot more wing missing than the aerodynamics are feeding back into your JS..think of it as those bombers you see all shot up returning to England on 'a wing and a prayer'...landing is relatively easy if you have a straight in approach, and you prepare ahead of time for that approach.

The graphic representation will hopefully be fixed one day.

Sturm

Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
Easy my butt    Had full rudder and full right aierlon to keep it sort of level, and the way I was attacking the base I had to turn about 90 degerees to get to facing home base.  damage to wing was right and left aierlon and right and left wing.  Still was a pain to land, and even worse I think a spit was about 1k away from me on approach to the base, thought to myself oh come on now I flew for 10 minutes back to base to die at final?  Anyway the osty thought he probably had an easy kill for I almost gave up on it when I saw parts flying off.  If anyone wants the film I can send it off to them.    

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
Let me rephrase that, its easy if no enemy around and you have straight in approach, and you've done it before..

Moose11

Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Hey Sturm,

It's not that I dont believe ya, but I'd be interested in that film simply for the fun of watching it

my email addy to send to is Moose1198@hotmail.com
thanks man

Sturm

Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Moose email is on its way.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Man! How can you have almost 300 posts and never have a wingtip blown off before? I land wingless planes every day I play.  

Servo

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2001, 02:52:00 AM »
I could land wingtipless planes but I forgot I fly 109s and 190s we don't have the Rocket science of the American planes to land with missing wingtips.

------------------
Glasses---I may have 4 eyes ,but you only have one wing.
Besser tot als rot

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2001, 06:36:00 AM »

Originally posted by Glasses:
I could land wingtipless planes but I forgot I fly 109s and 190s we don't have the Rocket science of the American planes to land with missing wingtips.

109s are tough to land without wingtip.. but 190 is easy.
during that 190A8 streak of 278 kills, I had wingtip on the loose twice, but landed fairly easily. (though, nothing compared to super easy F4u, for example.. which makes loops and fights back without wingtip!)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
Half wing chog handles nice every single time!

Hans

Landing a wingless B-26
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2001, 02:39:00 AM »
I keep seeing people squeak about how losing the wingtips shouldn't let you fly.  Thats not true.  Most don't seem to know too much about aerodynamics and aeronautical engineering (I happen to work on aircraft, business jets in particular like Lear 35s, Lear 55s, Lear 60s, Citation 650s, Citation 10s, Israeli IAI 1125 Astra SPX, Grumman Gulfstream 3 and 4, and the full Dasault Falcon series).

Missing half your wings means you still have 50% of your lifting surface left.

Actually more, since MOST of the plane's lift is generated by the thicker and larger, inboard sections of wings than the smaller, outboard section.

Now, for arguments sake, lets (wrongly) pretend that the outboard sections of the wings are equal in their lifting force as the inboard sections.

Your stall speed is doubled, but you can still fly.  Drag is reduced, so you can fly faster.  Your accelerated stalls are also doubled.

Most of the game's planes stall out at around 100mph or less.  I think 80mph or 90mph is normally when your plane stalls and goes into a spin.  Thus you can still fly if you keep above 160 to 180mph or more.

Naturally your going to have a poor rate of climb (half of what you had before), and your turn circles will be twice as big, not to mention not having ailerons to control roll.  You have to use a combination of rudder and elevator to control roll, plus engine torque.

But, you can fly like this.

Hans.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 04-05-2001).]