Author Topic: 109 Compression  (Read 872 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: 109 Compression
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 03:01:03 AM »
I have come to like the 109-G2 and the 109K-4 lately and have noticed their compression happens relatively low at 450.  I was wondering what other people do to kind of get around this expecially the K-4 which gets their quite easily.  Also while I'm at it what are the elevator trim buttons so I can use those which I don't right now.

As I understand it the 109s do not compress.

At high speeds they suffer from heavy elevators but do not compress.

There is a film on youtube somewhere that explains what compression is using the the P-38 as an example.

To answer your question though, follow the advice already given here. The 109 responds well at high speeds, you will just need to have a hand on the elevator trim keys.

I do what someone above suggested and pre-adjust my trim wheel to to a positive input on the elevators. Turning off Combat Trim will automaticaly trim the elevators out and assist in pulling out of a high-speed dive.

I do not trim it out 100% though, I go with 50 %. As Krusty said, the 109 is actually quite a good diver and I find that full input on the elevators at high speeds enduces such a high-G turn that you black out almost immediately. With proper trim you can turn with almost anything at high speeds.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"