Author Topic: JUGs in Italy  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: JUGs in Italy
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »
Nice work Guppy, you the man!

what model Jug was it.  D11?

Anderson Jr., James E 86FS 79FG 12AF KIFA
9 Nov 44 Republic P-47D-28-RE Thunderbolt ser# 44-19589
Pilot killed bailing out, Rimini/8mi E {R-9899}, Adriatic Sea

Edit: MACR#13115
<S>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:33:01 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
Anderson Jr., James E 86FS 79FG 12AF KIFA
9 Nov 44 Republic P-47D-28-RE Thunderbolt ser# 44-19589
Pilot killed bailing out, Rimini/8mi E {R-9899}, Adriatic Sea

<S>

Interesting how that supports the story the family heard.  Also interesting how specific the 79th Group history is on the loss being during the rocket attack.

Nice find.

edited to add.  Since there is an accident report out there, you could order a copy of it from these folks.

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/reports.htm#MIL

That would be the official report anyway. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:41:16 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: JUGs in Italy (2nd Question for Dan)
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »

The author of the book relates that a similar accident happened to him; on the way back from the target he was successful in shaking off the bomb from the rack using high g maneuvers. Apparently it exploded near or in a small village in Yugoslavian territory. He was deeply worried and wanted to go down and investigate but his squadron leader prevented him and asked all the pilots to keep mum about it. It was never reported.

Grifone

It's in Wild Blue by Stephen Ambrose.  It was a B-24 with a hung bomb that, when jettisoned, actually hit and destroyed the only house around for miles. 

May have been long after the war, but he did eventually find the family that lived in the house.  Read it somewhere.  Interview maybe and I can't find the reference now.

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tull

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »
Gents,

As the person that started this thread, I am asking that the off topic comments please be stopped.  For those that were standing up for the family’s feelings, I thank you.  For my part, I hold to the old saying that “those who stay up at night listening and worrying about the howling of the wolves only lose sleep and are tired the next day.”

The airframe information is now helping me to solidify my view on the two stories that are radically different.  Each of you has added to my view with a bit or piece of the puzzle.  In the end there will be no smoking gun but I think that the answer is there.

I am going to add on piece of information that I had not intended to share, but I believe that the discussion has matured to the point that I will add it.  ONE IMPORTANT POINT THAT I WANT UNDERSTOOD FIRST.  The family is at peace with the events that I am about to speak about.  They never blamed anyone for this or felt that anything was done wrong.  They accepted that it was a part of war in that day and time.  Please let us as a group not let hindsight overwhelm what has been a very good discussion

Lt Hall told my family that a Destroyer was dispatched to pickup Jimmy from his raft.  He said that the Squadron was told that due to limited visibility and night operations that the Destroyer advertently ran over Jimmy during the rescue operation.  The family has no proof of this part of the story but it might explain the conflicting information.

Again as always I thank each of you that have contributed.  Every piece of information has been of great value to my cousins and mother.

Jamie
“TULL”

JAMES W GENTRY III
Commander's Operations and Training Assistant (COTA), Mission Support Team #3
ARNG Distributed Battle Simulations Program (DBSP)
General Dynamic Information Technology
jamie.gentry@gdit.com

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
It's in Wild Blue by Stephen Ambrose.  It was a B-24 with a hung bomb that, when jettisoned, actually hit and destroyed the only house around for miles. 

May have been long after the war, but he did eventually find the family that lived in the house.  Read it somewhere.  Interview maybe and I can't find the reference now.

wrngway

George McGovern was the B24 pilot.  The family told him that if that's what it took to get the war over sooner, they had no problem with the bomb on their farm.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
Gents,

As the person that started this thread, I am asking that the off topic comments please be stopped.  For those that were standing up for the family’s feelings, I thank you.  For my part, I hold to the old saying that “those who stay up at night listening and worrying about the howling of the wolves only lose sleep and are tired the next day.”

The airframe information is now helping me to solidify my view on the two stories that are radically different.  Each of you has added to my view with a bit or piece of the puzzle.  In the end there will be no smoking gun but I think that the answer is there.

I am going to add on piece of information that I had not intended to share, but I believe that the discussion has matured to the point that I will add it.  ONE IMPORTANT POINT THAT I WANT UNDERSTOOD FIRST.  The family is at peace with the events that I am about to speak about.  They never blamed anyone for this or felt that anything was done wrong.  They accepted that it was a part of war in that day and time.  Please let us as a group not let hindsight overwhelm what has been a very good discussion

Lt Hall told my family that a Destroyer was dispatched to pickup Jimmy from his raft.  He said that the Squadron was told that due to limited visibility and night operations that the Destroyer advertently ran over Jimmy during the rescue operation.  The family has no proof of this part of the story but it might explain the conflicting information.

Again as always I thank each of you that have contributed.  Every piece of information has been of great value to my cousins and mother.

Jamie
“TULL”

JAMES W GENTRY III
jamie.gentry@gdit.com

Thanks for that Tull.  Making sure Jimmy isn't forgotten is the key for me.  We owe those guys more then we can ever repay.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
In a world where its getting harder and harder to put up with  people, and day by day losing faith in most folks, Its a breath of fresh air to see a person like Guppy doing what he did. Took time out of his day to help a total stranger, and his family. More people should read this and learn from it.

Guppy i dont know you, but i know your type. Glad to be involved in a game that has folks such as yourself in it. Its times like this that i wish my father was still alive, he was an encyclopedia of knowledge on WWII, and would have loved to talk with you about the subject. I learned everything i know about the war from him, and am passing it on to my 7yrold boy.
Its people like you that will never let people forget about what that amazing generation did for us all.

Tull, to you and your family my deepest sympathy, and thank you for sacrificing one of your family members, to keep mine free. No one could ever repay such a debt, but i promise to talk with my son about this brave pilot , and what he did to make this country what it is.

Thank you   <S>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:52:02 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »
In a world where its getting harder and harder to put up with  people, and day by day losing faith in most folks, Its a breath of fresh air to see a person like Guppy doing what he did. Took time out of his day to help a total stranger, and his family. More people should read this and learn from it.

Guppy i dont know you, but i know your type. Glad to be involved in a game that has folks such as yourself in it. Its times like this that i wish my father was still alive, he was an encyclopedia of knowledge on WWII, and would have loved to talk with you about the subject. I learned everything i know about the war from him, and am passing it on to my 7yrold boy.
Its people like you that will never let people forget about what that amazing generation did for us all.

Tull, to you and your family my deepest sympathy, and thank you for sacrificing one of your family members, to keep mine free. No one could ever repay such a debt, but i promise to talk with my son about this brave pilot , and what he did to make this country what it is.

Thank you   <S>

Here here... :salute
"Hello, Newman."

Offline Tull

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 11:08:11 PM »
Dan,

I think that the e-mails today gave me a final fix on the events for Lt James Anderson on 9 November 1944.  As is most history it appears to be a combination of multiple observations.   

On 9 November 1944, Lt James E Anderson Jr. in a Republic P-47D-28-RE Thunderbolt (ser# 44-19589) was conducting ground support missions with his Wingman Lt Harold (Horn) Hall and 4 other members of the 86th (The Comanche’s) Fighter Squadron of the 79th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force, to the southeast of Bologna Italy.  While conducting rocket attacks against a German fortified strongpoint for the 4th British Infantry Division in the vicinity of Forli Italy, Lt Anderson’s rocket tube became entangled with his ailerons and damaged his wing.  He and his wingman exited the battle area to the southeast toward Rimini.  Over the Adriatic Sea, 8 miles east of Rimini, the damage to Lt Anderson’s wing forced him to bail out.  Lt Hall orbited Lt Anderson while he parachuted into the sea and observed him climb safely into his emergency rubber raft.  Lt Hall continued to orbit Lt Anderson until his fuel level forced him to return to base.  A Destroyer was dispatched to rescue Lt Anderson, however due to night time operations and limited visibility the Destroyer inadvertently ran over Lt Anderson in his rubber raft.  Lt Anderson’s body was found on the shoreline the next day in the vicinity of Rimini, Italy and recovered.

This is the best answer that I can develop with all the information that has been provided by yourself, family and others.  There is no way to prove this version in its entirety, but it best fits all the information gathered.  This takes the Squadron History, family oral history and other contributors from this bulletin board.

Again, I want to thank you each and all for the help in piecing this together.

Jamie
“Tull”       

JAMES W GENTRY III
jamie.gentry@gdit.com
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:10:30 PM by Tull »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »
Dan,

I think that the e-mails today gave me a final fix on the events for Lt James Anderson on 9 November 1944.  As is most history it appears to be a combination of multiple observations.   

On 9 November 1944, Lt James E Anderson Jr. in a Republic P-47D-28-RE Thunderbolt (ser# 44-19589) was conducting ground support missions with his Wingman Lt Harold (Horn) Hall and 4 other members of the 86th (The Comanche’s) Fighter Squadron of the 79th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force, to the southeast of Bologna Italy.  While conducting rocket attacks against a German fortified strongpoint for the 4th British Infantry Division in the vicinity of Forli Italy, Lt Anderson’s rocket tube became entangled with his ailerons and damaged his wing.  He and his wingman exited the battle area to the southeast toward Rimini.  Over the Adriatic Sea, 8 miles east of Rimini, the damage to Lt Anderson’s wing forced him to bail out.  Lt Hall orbited Lt Anderson while he parachuted into the sea and observed him climb safely into his emergency rubber raft.  Lt Hall continued to orbit Lt Anderson until his fuel level forced him to return to base.  A Destroyer was dispatched to rescue Lt Anderson, however due to night time operations and limited visibility the Destroyer inadvertently ran over Lt Anderson in his rubber raft.  Lt Anderson’s body was found on the shoreline the next day in the vicinity of Rimini, Italy and recovered.

This is the best answer that I can develop with all the information that has been provided by yourself, family and others.  There is no way to prove this version in its entirety, but it best fits all the information gathered.  This takes the Squadron History, family oral history and other contributors from this bulletin board.

Again, I want to thank you each and all for the help in piecing this together.

Jamie
“Tull”       

JAMES W GENTRY III
jamie.gentry@gdit.com

That makes sense.  What a tragic end to it though :(

Thanks for sharing the story.  I hope you can post a photo someday of Jimmy  :salute
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Grifone

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 06:38:48 AM »

wrngway

The book I was referring to is "Pilota da caccia" by Paravicini http://www.hoepli.it/libro.asp?ib=9788842536765&pc=000018007000000
He was flying a Spit V in air to ground operations for the Allies in the Balkans in 1944, based somewhere near Lecce or Foggia.
As I assumed the official report was a cover up; very understandable, due to the circumstances. War is hell, always.

Grifone
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:41:32 AM by Grifone »

Offline Tull

• Zinc Member
Re: JUGs in Italy (Corrected Narrative)
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
Dan,

The internet is an amazing tool.  LT Harold Bryon Hall (Horn) is still alive at 87 in retirement at his Kansas home.  He is still sharp as a tack and all his memories of that day are clear.  He was not with Jimmy on 9 Nov but got the details from the pilot who was on Jimmy’s wing.

On 9 November 1944, Lt James E Anderson Jr. in a Republic P-47D-28-RE Thunderbolt (ser# 44-19589) was conducting ground support missions with 5 other members of the 86th (The Comanche’s) Fighter Squadron of the 79th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force, to the southeast of Bologna Italy.  His normal Wingman Lt Harold (Horn) Hall was assigned to another strike mission for that day’s operations.  While conducting rocket attacks against a German fortified strongpoint for the 4th British Infantry Division in the vicinity of Forli Italy, the forward support bracket of his rocket tube was destroyed by ground fire.  LT Anderson’s rocket tube became entangled with his ailerons which damaged his wing.  He and his wingman exited the battle area to the southeast toward Rimini.  Over the Adriatic Sea, 8 miles east of Rimini, Lt Anderson was forced to bail out due to the damaged wing.  His wingman orbited Lt Anderson while he parachuted into the sea and observed him climb safely into his emergency rubber raft.  The wingman continued to circle Lt Anderson until a British Albatross (a flying boat) assigned to air-sea rescue arrived on station.  However, the Albatross was unable to land and effect rescue due to heavy German long-range anti-aircraft fire.  A Destroyer was dispatched to rescue Lt Anderson, due to night time operations and limited visibility the Destroyer never found Lt Anderson in his rubber raft.  Lt Anderson’s body was found on the shoreline several days later in the vicinity of Rimini, Italy and recovered.

I am very confident that this is the best factual description of what happened on 9 Nov 44.  It is amazing how little pieces of information can lead to big breakthroughs in research.  Dan (“Gruppy35”), you in conjunction with Lt Hall and “Megalodon” have provided me with the critical pieces of information to pull the story together. I wish to extend a special thanks to the three of you.  On Jimmy’s picture, I am scheduled to be at my parent’s house on Sunday to search for her copy of Jimmy’s flight school picture.  I will post it a week later when I get back to my office.

Jamie
“TULL”

JAMES W GENTRY III
jamie.gentry@gdit.com

Offline Tull

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
Gents,

I am posting my mother's cousin's last post on Jimmy's passing.  I think that it provides a little prospective.

Jamie: By now you should have the photos taken of Jimmy after he got his wings. Cica late 1942/early 1943. He had left Texas A&M to enlist. He was lost 9 November and with a birthday of 11 November he was just short of his 22nd year.
Give my heart felt thanks to all that helped in this effort. I will now try to help your dear Mom with family dates and names. Regards William

All my thanks again.

Jamie
"TULL"

JAMES W GENTRY III
jamie.gentry@gdit.com