Author Topic: What times are special events? EST or EDT?  (Read 667 times)

brzwhalr

What times are special events? EST or EDT?
« on: May 19, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »

Gentlemen,
The Snapshot for this Friday night at 10 PM EST and Saturday at 3 PM EST is Operation Backhand Please carefully read the message of the day when you enter the arena. CM's will be sabre for Friday night and fd-ski for Saturday.
The Check 6! for Sunday will use the Mediterranean terrain, 1943. It will cover the invasion of Sicily. Fields used are shown in the map below. This will be at the usual time of 3 PM EST to 6 PM EST. Further details will be posted here Saturday.

After myself and at least one other missed the snapshot today due to some time confusion, I want to make sure I don't miss tomorrow's check 6.

The snapshot was run at 3pm EDT, not EST as posted in the announcement above.  Is the check 6 event to be run at 3pm EDT?

Please, could a CM reply to this so we dont miss out like we did today...

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2001, 07:05:00 PM »
brzwhair, sorry if I have made a mistake. For  as long as I can remember we have listed the weekly events in EST. Educate me if I am wrong in what it should be listed as.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
*grins*  Oh boy, time conversions are always a can of worms!  The group I play with in Ultima Online has this same problem every single month when we have our major event.

Here's basically how things work.
EST is UTC/GMT -0500.  When it's 1200GMT it's 0700EST.  Pretty straightforward.  Now where things get screwy is in April when North America, Europe and Russia (according to World Time Zone) go onto Daylight Savings Time.  They all jump ahead one hour, but  UTC/GMT stays the same.  This means London is now GMT+0100 and EDT (note the D instead of the S) is GMT-0400.  So while the US gains an hour on UTC/GMT, we don't gain an hour on Europe itself.  (by the way, last I heard, Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings, so they're always Mountain Standard)

A possible solution to the time problem is to post either the UTC time of the event.  Also, make sure that you use EDT when we're in daylight savings for the people in areas that don't observe daylight savings, or they might be an hour late for the event!

Daddog, I had loads of fun yesterday in the scenario flying with the Mongrels!!!   Good work on the scenario, just wish we coulda had more people.  Ya should talk to Ripsnort, there were a lot of 323 on when I went to the MA after the Chk 6!  I've seen him talk about wanting to fly over historical terrains.  
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
Sorry guys, that was our fault for listing the daylight savings time portion of the time.

What we're going to do from now on is just say US EASTERN TIME. That way, each player can figure out the correct time using whichever converter they want.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
I was the other guy who missed the saturday snapshot.  

I'm in the UK, and EDT is basically my time + 5 hours.

When I saw that this weeks event was EST listed, I checked with a converter (EST to London local time) and it came up as 9pm.

So when I enter the arena at 9pm, the event is all but over and I'm told I've got my times wrong. Double checking, I find that the event was listed wrongly as EST, and should be EDT.

Time converter (.com I think) does work - just use your capital city if you're European and enter the appropiate US time zone (EST or EDT).

Damned time zones.   It sounded a great scenario too. If the earth was flat, we wouldn't have this problem...

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
Sorry dowding, all my fault! Hope it does not happen again.  We will just list the times as U.S. Eastern Time as banana says and let the players figure it out.

Thanks for explaining it nifty.   Glad you had a good time! If you have a flight you enjoyed post an AAR here.    http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum7/HTML/000402.html

I noticed you earned two kills! I remember one! <S>  
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2001, 09:41:00 AM »
If my gunnery had been better, I coulda got that one sooner and saved Mata.    As it was, I had to finish him off with .303 cuz I was out of 20mm.  He came back and got me later anyways!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.