Author Topic: adapt your style to the plane, or the plane to your style?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: adapt your style to the plane, or the plane to your style?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
I've always loved the 109... I always wanted to fly it in a realistic environment... so, once I got tired of the La7 and Spixteen, I tried to fly the 109. Since I had no prior experience, my fighting style formed around the 109... and as I wanted to fly the 190 more and more, I didn't adapt my fighting style per say, but my fighting style evolved, and I now apply what Ive learned in the 190 to the 109 and vice versa.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
If you pay attention to how certain people fight, you can then pick up some tell tale signs that might give away their next move.
Yep, there are a number of people over the years, where I knew exactly who it was after one pass.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
My 'flying style' remains the same in almost any plane. i have offensive(+energy) or deffensive(-energy) stances that remain the same in almost any plane. obviously different planes require different flying to aquire the same moves but my fighting concept remains the same. i know i can do exactly the same evasive reversal kill in a mosquito as i can do in a spitfire; the aircraft are flown differently to achieve the same result. my 'flying style' is based on the principles of math and physics not a certain plane's performance. the grade of an aircraft to me is how well it fits my style not how well i can fit my style around it.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »
But I think for those of us that are sort of middle ground, there may be a struggle between either adapting how you fly to a plane, or picking a plane that simply suits your style.

Thats a real chicken and egg situation. Your 'style' develops from what you fly most, and you tend to fly what suits your style. The two are inseperable. I guess it comes down to 'youll be the best at what you fly most often and you'll develop a style which suits that'.
However, branching out to new aircraft which doesnt suit your style should therefore 'extend' your style eventually and broaden your skill base. To start with i think you're best off stick with one aircraft and learn it well - like for hundreds of hours, IMO. Then you can branch out with a solid foundation. Eventually, your 'style' will be broad enough to be truly proficient in just about anything.
If you're finding your style doesnt compliment some aircraft, then i think it just means, you have more to learn :) - dont we all...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:07 PM »
While you are learning, pick a plane whose strengths compliment your style. Once you are comfortable, start branching out. Your ultimate goal is to be able to adapt your style to match the strengths of the plane. Once you can do that, you will be one of those who can be successful in anything. One of my most recent fun tours was going out and getting kills in every fighter.

Regards,

Hammer

Yup, I second this. You can't make a plane do what the code says it can't do. Also, while I agree you can learn to be good at anything over time and with the proper instruction, some people are just naturally gifted at certain things without having to really try. So, if being maximally successful is your goal, fly the plane that suits your natural gifts. When trying to learn something new or something you're not naturally good at it's smarter to select a plane that is strong in that area rather than trying to force a plane not coded to do something to do it, which alot of people try to do...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:29:46 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »
Well after watching hours of films of Pilots like Fester BearKats SkyRock just to name a few..i learned ALOT from them.
Plus the hours BK spent in the DA with me teaching me how to fly really help  :aok

But one thing i learned is. You fly the plane not the plane flying you.
You can make anyplane do what you want it to no matter what it is
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »
I make my style fit the plane strenths...

Which explains me tryna fight nose up in p-47  :noid

<<<<--109 dweeb
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:53 PM »
It took me years to find my planes... been playin bout 4 now, alittle longer.. and so far mine r

A6M
P-47
Fm-2

i still havent gotten good in the P-51.. which i wish i could, i wanna b able 2 fly it like 0Ldemon does

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:26 PM »
I prefer the turny burny type of fighting - hence you'll find me a lot in Hurri's, Zero's and Spits etc - The only downside of those are you cant run away so you have to fight. Rolex, Batfink, Gianlupo, Lengro and the guys in my squad are helping me to learn proper acm (so I dont die quite as fast) and for that, I thank them profusely.

Personally, I fly all the planes I fly the same way........(generally badly too lol..)

Wurzel

I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
Neither.   I fly ANY cartoon plane like I stole it.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline ShrkBite

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »
i have the style.........to get shot down! Which plane suits that.........ALL OF THEM!!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 12:54:41 AM »
Question:

Did you try flying the 47 with a wingman?  Given the extremely low altitude of the fights in AH, the 47 is not in its element... But it can still be deadly when flown in pairs.

When you talk about your style not fitting certain aircraft, what I hear is that you're too reliant on one or two strengths, and not using the strengths that the 47 has to offer.  Specifically, I would think about roll rate and what that has to offer.  The Ki84 isn't so good in this department, but the 47 is only 2nd to the 190 here.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 01:25:06 AM »
I found a plane that fit my style the best.
I always enjoyed turn fighting against agile planes in larger "less capable" aircraft. I found the P38 was the best plane for me. Very capable aircraft but takes a lot of work to learn.

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 05:00:09 AM »
The "style" mentioned in this topic is actually one of my worst enemies in the game. After roaming the virtual skies for about eight years I have noticed that my tendency is to try and fly by instinct - something I've learned to do by "muscle memory". This is bad. Because by this "habbit" (that constitutes the mentioned "signature") I seem to repeat even the things I do wrong. The most hardest part is to try and outlearn this illusion of know-how by actually thinking fresh and trying to learn from mistakes.

And to this very shallow style of mine, I think 109g-6 is the very best platform. It is a kind of all-around-plane that does pretty well in every aspect other than diving. It's not the fastes climber, it may not have the best turn- or roll rate in the game, but neither it is dominated by any one of these traits.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:04:14 AM by LLv34_Dictonius »
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
I do have to agree that for some odd reason, I could make certain planes sing.

Among them the 110, the Spit 14, and more recently the P39q.  Only the 110 was learned with much practice, being that it's the squad's favorite ride.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"