Author Topic: new AVA rules of engagement  (Read 3716 times)

VWE

Re: new AVA rules of engagement
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2008, 06:15:31 AM »

I think you read way to much in to a video game if this is the conclusion you have drawn.

There should be as close to even numbers of active allied and axis players on the CM staff. As it stands now its predominately one allied squad. I don't think there will be any real change in the AvA untill there is some house cleaning of the CM staff, but I don't see that happening either. And that wasn't or isn't my conclusion just and ironic comparison.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »
The interesting thing here is that we all have complaints about the AvA, and Jaeger is suggesting a 'code of honor' for us to agree upon to help stop some of the 'dweebery', and most of us are just pissing on him.

I'll gladly fly according to agreed upon rules of engagement, I already do fly that way for the most part, but I admit to taking a HO shot now and then out of frustration.

I don't expect everyone to follow the rules, but if the larger squads in the arena abide by them, that online will make a HUGE improvement in the gameplay of the AvA.  Who knows, if the big squads do it, the little squads might, if the little squads do it the squadless ones might join in.  There'll never be 100% participation, but we're dealing in probabilities, and even if it's just the major allied and axis squads, you have a MUCH higher chance to get a good fight.  This may only last a week, but hey...at least we tried.

So my answer:   Yes.
P-47 pilot

Offline BarryBD

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »
"code of honor" = Yes
"Rules"= No

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
YEA,I like biscuits....jealous?............. :huh
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »
 Don't you guys ever learn? The demise of the old AvA was brought on by exactly the same type of day dreaming that is being proposed here, a utopia that can never exist, a non existant set of rules that is always open to interpretation. And when those who who profess to be the guardians and champions of the "RULES" were all that were left in the '"OLD AvA" the bickering and crys of foul were still just as constant. About a dozen pilots bullied and intimidated any new blood into the AvA to the point were if you saw 5 or 6 guys logged on in prime time that was considered to be a BIG night.

I vote NO
Maj OldBull
XO Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
This is a simple but flawed concept, often presented.

The skilled player wants to extend the fight so merges with guns cold to see how it develops, it's more fun.

In a relatively even matchup, the less skilled (cough) player knows his only chance at a shot is on the merge, and dieing is less fun then living. When the matchup is one sided, the guy in the less capable plane will usually take the HO for the same reason, it's probably his only shot and dieing is less fun. If you're the "more skilled" player, then most of the time you shouldn't have a problem avoiding the HO.

Saying you have an unenforceable "no HO rule" would be the source of endless whines.

No rules.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
  the demise of the old AvA was brought on by exactly the same type of day dreaming that is being proposed here, a utopia that can never exist, a non existant set of rules that is always open to interpretation. .[/i]

The last map of the old AvA was Midway.  There was very much positive feedback and the only person ever railed to my knowledge was Ollock, or something like that, whom was constantly critisized for picking and HO'ing.  There were around 20 players in there nightly I believe.   Yes, there were complaints in the old AvA but I don't thnk they could hold a candle to the funny pages (AvA forum) since the "war" started.  It appears the Avengers stomped loud enough to get waht they wanted and now you're stomping about any change to move it anywhere near what it used to be.   

Who is bullying and intimidating??
Jay12

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
I think it's ok to say no to HO if there are other rules as well.
How about.
1. When there is a 3 to 1 situation the 3 leaves the 1 alone. Hey that's not fair odds.
2.  Don't fly in mixed formations with a single 190, C2 and 110.
3.  Don't spawn from flaming craters.
4.  Don't run around with a 45 taking out troops that don't shoot back.

I think it's a game and should be played as one.
You put your face in mine and I just might try to punch you in it. If you don't like it show me your back side and I'll  Hmmmmm  :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
I don't think there will be any real change in the AvA untill there is some house cleaning of the CM staff, but I don't see that happening either. And that wasn't or isn't my conclusion just and ironic comparison.

How would you know this? Certainly not from experience, lately. Oh wait ... you said it plain as day. You "think" your conclusions to life then call them "ironic comparisons." Female intuition, sounds like. Reminds me of my ex. Rose? I thought you hated this game? ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:34:39 PM by Arlo »

Offline BarryBD

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »
 :D :D :D Arlo :aok

Captain, a few more things...

1. take a look at your signature...
2. I took the liberty of taping some fights (at least I tried to fight), I dare you to look at them, ...

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
Jaeger ,

Thank you for taking the time and having the guts to attempt to improve the atmosphere in the AVA.
As you can probably see there are many points of view, and then there are many that just can't miss out on a chance to bash at one group, individual, or another.
I doesn't look as if there can be a set of hard or fast rules. Everyone is going to fly to their personal style and beliefs. The only rule right now, is be ready for anything and don't be shocked when it happens. Don't let the course this thread took distract you from your cause. Keep pushing for a better AVA. Remember the staff gives us the tools, it's the players that build a diamond or a turd with it.
<S> Jaeger.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
I'll gladly fly according to agreed upon rules of engagement, I already do fly that way for the most part, but I admit to taking a HO shot now and then out of frustration.

So then, despite your "yes" answer you illustrate why it's a silly venture to consider, at best. You can't dictate chivalry. It's in the player or it's not. And every player perceives it differently. Sometimes even differently just from who does what to whom. Sometimes just from a moment of frustration outweighing their earlier passionate forum declaration. I'm not pissing on Jaeger ... I'm bringing up the obvious. Glad Jaeger made the suggestion, just because it revealed the need to go over how a player's frustration with other players and how they play the game may be best addressed by not setting ourselves up for frustration as much rather than dictating to others how to make our own lives less frustrating.

And that's the condensed version of one of my books on the subject. :D  :salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
Who is bullying and intimidating??

From your post it would seem to indicate anyone not on this "Mandatory Chivalry Enforcement Code" bandwagon. Seems kinda ironic, dont'cha think?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:36:39 PM by Arlo »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »
There should be as close to even numbers of active allied and axis players on the CM staff. As it stands now its predominately one allied squad. I don't think there will be any real change in the AvA untill there is some house cleaning of the CM staff, but I don't see that happening either. And that wasn't or isn't my conclusion just and ironic comparison.

There is no Axis/Allied bias on the staff. Never has been with the current group. I do find it funny when you say there will be no change in the AvA given where we were this time last year.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
Jaeger ,

Thank you for taking the time and having the guts to attempt to improve the atmosphere in the AVA.
As you can probably see there are many points of view, and then there are many that just can't miss out on a chance to bash at one group, individual, or another.
I doesn't look as if there can be a set of hard or fast rules. Everyone is going to fly to their personal style and beliefs. The only rule right now, is be ready for anything and don't be shocked when it happens. Don't let the course this thread took distract you from your cause. Keep pushing for a better AVA. Remember the staff gives us the tools, it's the players that build a diamond or a turd with it.
<S> Jaeger.

Classier than mine.  :salute