Author Topic: Question about Fan Speed  (Read 377 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Question about Fan Speed
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »
I have a 9800GTX+ card in my machine currently...  I have Riva Tuner installed on my machine but have never used it for anything.  Was noticing earlier that in Riva Tuner, the auto setting for my Graphic Card's fan is 35%...

Now, I'm not wanting to over clock or anything like that...  But I am a bit paranoid about over heating the card.  (Killed a video card once by over heating it.  Actually it was a crap BFG brand card that the fan apparently gave out on)  But anyway, I'm a bit paranoid about overheating...

Would it be good/bad/or indifferent to use Riva Tuner to increase the fan speed?  If so, how much would be a good amount?  50%?  75%?  Or should I just leave the fan speed alone at the default 35%?

I'm just guessing here.  Looking for someone with more knowledge to give me some insight.

Thanks

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Re: Question about Fan Speed
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »
You can safely set the fan speed to anything you want above stock.  I keep my GTX260 at 75% instead of 100% as to keep the noise down some, and it stays 35-38C idle, others keep theirs at 100% and it's safe.  Even if the Fan goes out due to being at 100% so long, would take a long time anyways, it's easier to replace a fan/cooler then an entire GPU.

Another thing to think about is it's doubtful the card is reaching max temps, unless you have a hot case temp.  Most cards can handle up to about 85-100C, although no one wouldn't recommend it.

So, 50-75% is a good speed.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:57:20 PM »
I have an EVGA 8800GTS KO (G92) and use EVGA Precision (developed with RivaTuner).   I leave it at "Auto".   Fan Speed is 37% (47 C) with no gaming.   Under load the highest I have been is 76% (84 C).   Nvidia's are fine until above 100 C. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
correct me If I am wrong but wont water boil at 100c?  I get paranoid when mine gets above 60

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:30:27 AM »
Sure, but it has nothing to do with IC technology. The manufacturers do not recommend temperatures over 70 C because it might shorten the life expectancy of the chip but people rarely use a graphics card for more than a couple of years anyway...  ;)

And if the card ventilates itself outside of the case it does not add much to case temperatures if it runs a bit hotter.

It s not usually the GPU that suffers most from the heat but the memories, which may start to fail if the board temperature rises because they may not be cooled too well.

Once you start to get graphical anomalies even in desktop it is usually too late to save the card...

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 04:49:09 AM »
I usually just run mine at 100% since it is OCed, I never really saw much of a reason why not since the noise it creates is easily over-powered by music or the A/C.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:02:19 AM »
On EVGA 8800GTX video cards on up no need to worry about temps until they get over 100c, over 110 could be fatal to your card.  If you take the fan off AUTO your adding noise to your system for no reason.  The fan speeds up when needed and keeps the cards temp a little more consistant.  If you set your card at a particular percentage and it needs a higher percentage your doing yourself harm.   Very few instances that you need to take the card off auto.

TD