Author Topic: Next War tweaks..  (Read 1414 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Next War tweaks..
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
I've got a few things I've been considering mentioning for the next war as constructive criticisms.  But thought I would start out with the side switching time limit.  Partially this is selfish, I plan on flying both sides again in the next war.  But it is also a concern I have for the health of this war idea, which I believe has good possibilities.  I think we have to take the good with the bad and not lump the decent people that chose to switch sides to just keep things balanced with those that exploit that ability.  I think restricting the side-balancing is a greater crime than anything some peeping-Tom could do.  Please reconsider the time-limit when the next round comes along.

Also other can feel free to use this thread to post their observations, requests, ideas, etc.. they have for the next war.  <S>
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline BlueTop

• Zinc Member
Re: Next War tweaks..
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »
I agrea  I like to switch sides also but the 24 hour time limit as killed that for me.   I use to like to switch sides to try and balence the teams a little bit.  ANy ways.  I agea with the insect.   :O

BT

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
I think I once had an idea on this. Oy. Nevermind.  :)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
Sinec there is no base capture in the next war I think the time limit should be an hour or two tops.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline araiguma

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
I like the no base capture idea and the lowering of the time limit to swap sides  :aok , but I have to declare a fondness for JABO.  I do like to mix it up in a furball now and then and try to improve my poor ACM skills. 

what impact will the no base capture event have on those players who like to fly bomber missions?  Will it be set up in a way that strategic bombing missions are still incorporated or will this lean more to a total dog fighting series? 

Specifically, will there be any point in a buff or JABO attack on a field with the intent of destroying infrastructure such as hangars?  Troop barracks would be pointless targets in this next event.

If you can work something into the event that will make those players feel that they can make a positive contribution and also have fun, then it should be a great event.  Attacking a formation of buffs is always an interesting mission.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
What would stop you from conducting strategic strikes on fields to drop their hangers for a day - potentially impacting your opponents ability to fight or defend?  Especially if its their prized pick for the round?

We're listening on  the side switching.  I want to make sure we're hearing the majority / not the vocal minority on this issue.  :)
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
biscuits ,,yep  biscuits are good     :aok
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
if there is a problem with some abusing the side switching then 1 or 2 hours may not help. If i switch sides and Im stuck for 4 hours no complaint. If I log off and the next day Im still stuck for 7 more hours complaint....

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »
We're listening on  the side switching.  I want to make sure we're hearing the majority / not the vocal minority on this issue.  :)
I would prefer a shorter switch time.  I join the lowest side when I log in.  If the numbers swing the other way, I would like to be able to switch to help even out.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline BlueTop

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »
Sinec there is no base capture in the next war I think the time limit should be an hour or two tops.

Thats sounds good to me .       :rock

BT

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:59:35 AM »
We need to allow and encourage side switching.  It's no fun when then numbers are way off.  I think 1 hour is fine.

Venom

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
I have no trouble with there being no penalty to switch sides.  Shouldn't matter.  Maybe if the setup has cv's you could add a couple hours.  I haven't flown allied yet but maybe next war I'll see if there is as big a difference in teams as I think I've seen.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
biscuits ,,yep  biscuits are good

Mmmmmmm...and gravy..have to have gravy too!! :rock on redrum

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
I hate that I can't switch sides. It was the most positive aspect of the old AvA and I'd hoped it could stay that way but the AvA staff has only two tools for balancing the game play in the arena, country switch wait time, or the hated arena cap.

The 24 hour wait time is preferable over arena caps and it's the minimum viable period. If you make it less, the guy who's going to log off in an hour can switch sides, grief the opposition, and be back on his chosen side the next morning to do it again that night. The more experienced players aren't going to tolerate this after investing their time in the new arena setup, and the arena needs all the old experienced players, including those that would like to switch sides for balance.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »
Here's one way to fix the problem if the development group wants to put some time into it.
Novalogic did this with one of their older MMO games. It works like this
You log into the AVA
A menu pops up allowing you 3 choices. Axis, Allies, or Either
The server keeps both sides balanced by doing the following:
IF you chose Axis it looks at the current balance.  If Axis has less than 3 or 4 player advantage it lets you in.
If Axis has over 3 player advantage the server tells you how many people are in line in front of you. When the next slot opens it automatically loads you in.  Same thing for Allies.
If you select Either, the server puts you in the side with the least players.
This way you can ensure a balance.
Using this method would remove the need for team switching to even up the sides. After that a long wait time shouldn't be a problem.