Author Topic: RESULTS -> Snapshot: THE DOOLITTLE RAID:  (Read 545 times)

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
RESULTS -> Snapshot: THE DOOLITTLE RAID:
« on: February 04, 2001, 07:32:00 AM »
Hello ALL !

[applause]First off i want to thank SAW(Mass) for being my assistant CM during the event and also KRONOS and DUMA for stepping up as IJN respectively USAAF COs.[/applause]

Ok now to the Report:

Attendees: 38
USAAF: 17 (one too much)
IJN: 19

The Doolittle Raiders were 1 over strength and will get some points substracted for that. (it's not easy to limit number of A/C and being one off isnt's too bad given the tools at hand -> yelling at the folks  )

After action Report:
T+0 Frame start

A Japanes picket boat sights the approaching Task Force 16 that carries the Doolittle raiders and is able to send a position report before it can be dispatched. Admiral Halsey orders Hornet to turn into the wind and Col. Doolittle (DUMA) to launch his B26s. While the Doolittle raiders are preparing their takeoff alarm is sounded on the airfields of the Imperial Japanes airforce and every ready A6Mb is launched.

T+10
All The B26s are in the air and are forming up in 2 groups over the Carrier group. One heads off to the north west to strike Cobe Harbor (P63) while the other group is flying low level to the west.
The Zeros under Kronos are all up as well and are racing along the shore to the east to the reported location of the CV group. Some Zeros are being dispatched to guard the west half of the island.

T+20
The Zeros racing towards Cobe sight and engage the 1st group of B26s approaching the harbor installation from the south. Air raid sirenes whail through the morning and the AAA gunners at the Harbor run into position

T+25
The first Bombs are falling onto Cobe Harbor, so far 2 B26 have fallen to the guns of the defenders and several Zeros where going down in flames. Cobe harbor gets moderately damaged.

T+30
While the ramainds of teh first group is clearing the target area still with angry Zekes trailing them, the second group is approaching their IP and begins to turn to the north to hit the rafinery and HQ near Tokyo (so i thougth).
Most of the Zekes that initially flew west are now being called back to the east and they roar along the coast with throttles wide open to help their country mates to repell the attack.

T+35
The Low Level B26s cross the coast east of A59 and race towards their targets to the north, when they get spotted by a fligth of Zeros who dive to engage immediately.
The 1st Group of B26s is still heading west into the same area.

T+40
A few more B26s and Zeros have been going down in flames in the runing battle between the 1st Group heading past the rafinery and the low level group now turning west to cross the Tokyo bay and attack A57 airfield.
The 2 B26s groups or their remains are now flying approximately in the same area and can be considered as having closed formation again.

T+50
The Raiders Bomb A57 airfield and do moderate damage. only 5 A/C manage to clear the target area and also their fearless leader DUMA goes down in flames after AAA shoot of his tail. Only a few Zeros are left and do theri best to prevent the escape of the B26s

T+75
The remaining 5 B26 land at their Chisnese recovery field. <S> to them covering Cobras crippled ship who was flying on 1 engine all they way from 57.

SCORE

IJN:
Destroyed 12 B26s
of which 4 were destroyed before Bombs release: 40 Points
and 8 after bomb release: 40 Points.
Totals: 80 Points

USAAF:
Bombed 2 out of 3 targets: 100 Points
they loose 1/10th of their points for over strenght (B26s against Zekes is a hard matchup for the Zekes  )
Totals: 90 Points

Conclusion:
It was a tight Victory for the Allies as they only bombed 2 out of 3 targets. The IJN did very good, but would have fared better if they were able to destroy more bombers before bombs release. The outcome might have been completely different with more Zeros attending tho  

<S> To all participants ! I hope you had fun !! And i hope to see you all next SNAPSHOT!!

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
CM Aces High Scenario Corps

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
I have to say that personally this was one of the best snapshots I have flown recently.

Ended up ditching my poor shot up b26 on a mountaintop trying to get to the secondary target on one engine.  Big <S> to both sides.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Just as I had target in bombsite with Duma's flight, LOCKUP!~  Dang it!  Was a blast! Let's do it again when the B25 gets here!  

wobbel

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi guyes  

This was my first "snapshot", and I hunger for more  

I have`nt had so much fun and excitement ever in a flight sim, so I`m realy looking forward to the next, and another senarios like this  

After the game I had to change my T-shirt and get my heartbeat down to Normal, lol...

I just want to SALUTES you guyes for doing these Senarios, keep it up  

Wobbel  

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Ended this wek end with a verry painfull flu  

Sorry, but I'll be a little late with my AAR's Addendum  

Saw

PS:
"TUUUUUUUUDUUUUUUUDUUUUUUUUUDU UUUUUUDUUUUUU..."